Lawyers in Mauritius

I am looking to move to Mauritius, and have a law degree from an English university. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about professional qualifications required of lawyers in Mauritius?
I am finding it very difficult to find any information!
Thanks

younglawyer wrote:

I am looking to move to Mauritius, and have a law degree from an English university. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about professional qualifications required of lawyers in Mauritius?
I am finding it very difficult to find any information!
Thanks

Have you tried theMauritius Bar Association?

One of the two person w/ email address should be able to answer your queries .

Almost every professional organization in Mauritius has their own professional organization. The post above is an excellent suggestion.

check for offshore companies
or
http://www.legalmenu.com/lawfirms/city/ … 133-5.html

or moollan chambers

ps: if you wish to work for the goverment, your degree needs registration(See TEC-mauritius), bar council

cheers all way,
islander :):):)

Hello there,

Several questions:

What do you want to do? Join the private practice or as a legal adviser in a company?

If you want to join the practice, then do you want to do Solicitor, or Barrister or Notary?

YOu have done a law degree- I presume no Bar exams then?? or Solicitors exams?

If so, then you will have to do the Bar exams here which regulates the three types of practice noted above.

If you want to become a legal adviser in a company, offshore or bank or ... then it is easy. YOu simply have to apply and wait for your application to be successful.

Hope this helps otherwise please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Yrlawyer

Thank-you everyone for the help.

Yrlawyer, I haven't yet done any bar exams in the UK, if I did would I be exempt from the Mauritius bar exams? Is it one type of examination for each of the professions? And one last question, if you'll forgive my ignorance, what is the role of Notary? We don't have those in England, only solicitors and barristers.

Thank-you

You do have notaries in England and Wales: http://www.stepjournal.org/archive/2010 … ublic.aspx

After the island was taken over from the French by  England, the Civil Code, the Criminal Code and the Commercial Code remained French  ( Napoléon code of 1804  where the notion of Notariat is embedded ).  Since then , English law has gradually grafted itself on French law to supplement it (the English judges presiding over  cases were following their own procedure) . After independence, some more changes happened.

A good read on the island legal framework:
http://international.lawsociety.org.uk/ … Report.pdf

younglawyer wrote:

Thank-you everyone for the help.

Yrlawyer, I haven't yet done any bar exams in the UK, if I did would I be exempt from the Mauritius bar exams? Is it one type of examination for each of the professions? And one last question, if you'll forgive my ignorance, what is the role of Notary? We don't have those in England, only solicitors and barristers.

Thank-you

Yes, you will be exempt from doing bar exams here if you have completed your bar exams. But you will have to do your pupillage if you want to practise as barrister or solicitor over here.

Notaries are public notaries dealing with property sale deeds, and all other acts which needs authentication and registration and a lot more such as wills and ...

Exams for barrister bar is different from exams of solicitor bar in mts

Hope you have got a better idea. otherwise ask and I will answer after new year.

Have a merry christmas and a happy new year

Yourlawyer