Thinking of retiring to Italy.

Hi my name is Susanne.  Peter and me are thinking of retiring to Italy, we know France better and have lived there. This year we visited Lombardy and realize Italy, it's culture and people is where we wish to be, just simply fell in love :heart: .  For us it is mainly a matter of where is best for retired couples financially as we are on a very tight budget to buy and live, we need to be self supporting as much as possible, climate is also important, not freezing cold or cooking :o. The dream is to be near a small town and rural, not asking for much  ;) Of course we are surfing for information but hearing stories, advice and any help forth coming will be much appreciated. Contact us please, love to hear from you. Susanne  :)

Hello Susanne,

My husband and I are also retiring to Italy in April from South Africa. I have found Le Marche to be much cheaper than Tuscany and Umbria, house price wise. We are also looking for rural, close to a village but not too far from a big town. I have had several comments on the quality of life in Marche and was told that it is still one region with the typical old way of Italian life.  We are going for the month of April to find a house then home to pack up. No. stress! Good luck with your hunt.

Hi there, very pleased you contacted me. Le Marche is an area I've been searching as well as Umbria.  Shall be very interested to hear how you and your husband get on house searching and your experiences in that part of Italy, also your feeling.  Know you will be busy on your return to South Africa but please drop us a line, keep contact from time to time.

Wishing a very happy and successful trip and stress free move :) .
Susanne

Ok will try and remember lol.

We have been in Italy for just over 9 months. It took me the spouse of an EU citizen 9 months to gett a residency permit, and over $3000. O ther than that hoop it has gone smoothly. We live 45 minutes from Rieti, this town has many properties for less than $50000. with garden space. Our home Orvinio has lots of properties for sale prices are flexible and cash is king. There is much work for english teachers.

Hi Suzanne,  we are in the same position and house hunting right now. We chose Le Marche region for its cheaper cost of living and the easy proximity to Sibillini mountains and the Adriatic coast. We have tried several estate agents who were not really good at all but can highly recommend Luca at Abitare Gruppo Immobiliare and Peter Bardehle at www.bardehle.it. Both were very professional and went out of their way to assist. The people here are very friendly and I have been told its one of the last true Italian regions not over run by tourists