Moving to Malaysia

Hi there,
I am soon moving to KL, Malaysia, crazy as it sounds, I have never been there! I love the idea of changing scenary from the Middle East where I moved years ago; but I am not a fan of the constant rain and cloudy sky! and being far from the beach is a big deterrent, which I can reach in 10 minutes now...  I have also heard it is not very safe for single women either, I practice sport, like cycling and running, are there open air places to train and safe?. Love the idea of travelling in Asia though, I have been few times in Thailand and I like the easy and simple life. Can you please convince me there are actually clear days of sunshine in KL and it is worth moving there?
Thanks in advance!

Most days are clear with just a few hours of cloud/rain mostly in the evening on some days.

Having moved from Middle East myself, I quite enjoy the rainfall KL as it probably rains more in a few hours then the entire rainfall in a year in Middle East.

Life in KL is comfortable and travel through Asia is amazing.

To move or not to move is something only you can decide on.

I moved here from the Midwest USA and love the warm weather and as Safety81 has claimed we do have rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon and evenings as a pretty common occurrence but mostly sunny and beautiful in the mornings to mid afternoon.  In KL the cost of living is higher and I live in the outskirts in Selayang where life is a  little slower and cost of living is substantially less.  I am retired and my fixed income would never allow me to fully retire in the States, but here I can live comfortably on my income.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I am Thai and just live in KL since beginning of 2016. Well, Thailand has more simple life than Malaysia. Traffic is also jam after 5pm so I only recommend you to live nearby public train or the office.

Hi there...

Kuala Lumpur is a nice place.  Heaven for shoppers.  Night life is happening for foreigners.  You can easily find and make new friends, local and foreigners.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Drop adverts only in Housing please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Malaysia is great on 20k pm or more. Ok at 12k pm. Less than that its better elsewhere. Like any big capital city whether worth moving depends on cash. Eg London is great if a billionaire Russian/Saudi "gangsta playboy" alrjough finding yacht parking space is hard work. On min wage its hell on Earth!

The heat in Malaysia can be extreme, recently schools were closed because I think it hovered at around 40 deg C. You can cycle and run in KL, but it sort of depends where you live.

Generally KL is very hot and sunny, but of course there is monsoon season where it rains more often. I am sure you will like KL. Choose your location carefully...

Easy travelling to thailand and much more... i love rain (no one doesn 't in warm temperatures) but cameras in the gym without warning most times...everyone minds there business like london and there is no openly mischievious things going on at the least