Education System in Ireland

Good Day

I am hoping someone can explain how the education system in Ireland works.

I am currently living in South Africa, I have a 4 year old daughter in preschool. This is not considered formal schooling yet. Formal schooling in South Africa begins the year the child turns 6.
Our school year is from January to December with 4 breaks in the year.

When do children start formal schooling in Ireland?
How does the school year (and breaks) work?

Hi

My daughter started school last september which is the beginning of the school year. She is 5 and most kids start from around 4 ish or later depending on the school. The school year ends in June.
They have a week break in octodber, then they close over christmas and new year for about 10 days and then they have another break at easter time and then the summer which is from July to end of august.
School preferences are based on where you live mostly. Not much difference in schools except for if you want your child educate in a catholic school or noncatholic. If they are educated in catholic schools like my duaghter you just need a babtism cert but its not an issue if you are a newcommer in the country. We are catholic so that was not an issue for us anyway. I wanted her to learn her prayers and have catholic religious instructions anyway. If you dont have an issue with your child learning morning, evening prayers and prayers before meals and learning to know all about the bible and how to behave like a good christian then your child will be ok. It is not enforced but the school she attends are based on catholic ethos same as if you were going to a muslim or jewish school. The class size is big depending if you live in the bigger towns or country side. The kids get a free preschool year which your child can avail of but if she is over 4 she will miss out on it because its the year before they start school.  Let me know if you need any other info.

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.