Tips and advice to thrive in the United Arab Emirates

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to the United Arab Emirates?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in the United Arab Emirates?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Hi

I am also relatively new to the UAE. I am still figuring things out myself. Hopefully some of the guys that have been here for some time can assist. It would be good to know.

I was born here and spent most part of my life here.  Although a different nationality, I never felt left out or a stranger here. I always felt at home and my personal experience with the nationals were very warm and friendly and they always found it easy to understand and speak my native language too Now a days people have changed and attitudes and population has increased so things are far different. All said and done Dubai is the best and has everything to offer each and every one no matter where they come from.

Hi I'm from South Africa. I lived and worked in UAE for 3 years and then I quit my job and returned back to South Africa.

UAE is not a healthy place to live. Despite having a well-paid job (which I don't have in my home country) - I don't regret leaving that place.
I became bored and depressed. Fellow colleagues became alcoholics and were promiscuous as there were very few affordable recreational activities outdoors except night-clubs and shopping malls. 
Honestly, I never really adjusted to living in the UAE. I found it impossible to integrate into any form of "culture" there. Most people are just there for work and to save money (not to make a home). People put on a mask to pretend that they are happy at work but the reality is often the opposite.

I wouldn't recommend moving there. Females are degraded and seen as objects in UAE and surrounding Middle Eastern/ Arab countries. Men stare at Westernized females as if they are on display at a "cow parade". Believe it or not: women even get their drinks spiked over there. In the UAE, they don't have good laws in place to protect women against unlawful acts that may occur. The men know this very well and can easily take advantage and get away with it. Women (especially expats from other countries) always pay a higher price in the end. Many women get pregnant as emergency contraception is illegal there. Abortion is also illegal. A woman who falls pregnant out of wedlock in the UAE can be imprisoned and deported. Some migrant women who thrive in Middle Eastern countries come from underprivileged circumstances where they were suppressed from a young age and began to see the act of prostitution as a way forward in life.

Is this the kind of place we want our children to grow up in?

There are no decent labor laws in place to protect migrant workers from exploitation and abuse etc..
This was my personal experience of working in the UAE. Don't let the wealth, marketing, glamour, lights and fancy buildings fool you. All that glitters is not GOLD!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Megan

Dear Friends, I have moved in to this country when i was very young. Today when i look back after three decades I have many things to share, however we all should be proud that, we are in a place that everyone is getting respected and lived together with harmony and peace. I have extensively travelled around the world but my best place is always been this soil. I have learned, earned and developed myself here and took little time to adjust initially, but today I am extremely happy with the love, affection and friendship i gained more than a big bank balance.

Anyone who likes to share or meet to know to understand the place, culture and see around the place, I will be happy to share my experience.

Love and peace to all...

Regards
AK

Hi. In uae you can feel at home within couple of days because it is a multicultural soceity and there is something for everyone. However in order to avoid overspending following cautions are necessary:
1. When you go to malls choose your outlet carefully because similar items cost very different in different malls. It is cheaper to go to open bazaar or market places.
2. Choose your apartment and property agent carefully. Always check cancellation clauses. Choose one with lowest penalty.
3. Use credit card carefully. Avoid late payment and never withdraw cash.
4. Make a budget for everything you do.
5. Plan your route wherever you go because hold up can start anywhere anytime especilaay on Thursdays.
6. Follow Traffic rules to avoid speeding fines and never break red light.
GOOD LUCK

Here's my offering:
1. Every place has its advantages and disadvantages. Do your research and expect them and once here, accept them.
2. Get your Visa's and residence permit sorted (doing as much as possible before arrival)
3. Get your Mobile Phone sim enabled and working fully with a local UAE number. Don't lose it.
4. Find your accommodation.
5. Get a bank account.
6. Settle in gently.
7. Make a little progress on something each week, no matter how small.
8. Get a driving licence if you intend to drive.
9. Get an alcohol licence if you intend to drink alcohol.
10. Take some regular exercise - no matter how little.
11. Make friends if you can, with good people.
12. Live within your means and be careful to budget and manage your finances. Don't get into debt.
10. Expect things to take time
11. Enjoy the good things the UAE can offer. It is a nice place if you can organize your life well enough to enjoy them. There is much you can do for v little cost - like walking the Corniche. Buses are only 2Dhs per trip with a card. Get a net and play badminton with friends in the park.
12. Set targets for yourself, even if small ones.

Hello,
I have been working in UAE  since 18-19 years. United Arab Emirate is best and safe secure country in the world. We can go to any where and get enjoying to gather in part of Dubai (UAE). Dubai is only one country where we can meet to all communities Globalization  people and sharing our cloture and view to each other.

Hi Priscilla,

Congratulations on embarking on a new adventure.

I lived and worked in UAE for 3 years, 2012-2015. There are a few variables that make a difference in how you settle in and find your feet. However, the main advice as a woman I would give you firstly is to expect highs and lows, these can change within days, hours and seconds. Lower your expectations in your professional life, the less seriously you take things - do your job well but don't get caught up in the often ridiculous logic free zones you will encounter. Accept it (you can't change it) and move swiftly on. Maintain a sense of humour at all times. As someone else says, try and do a little exercise each day or week as it will keep you sane. I'm sure you'll meet the some of the best people you'll ever meet as well as some of the worst. Enjoy the ones you make that are meaningful...people are there for all kinds of reasons (some not healthy) and everyone is good at being quietly smug and competitive...not their fault, it's survival there sometimes. Lastly, become an observer. It's a fascinating melting pot of nationalities, it packed with good nature and generosity as well as insidious racism, sexism and corruption. I loved my experience, the highest and the lows - stayed 3 years, but that was enough. Might be different for you!

Good luck and have fun.

Hi Guys,

My husband and I, currently in South Africa are looking for work in the UAE.  A friend of mine is currently working in Dubai and thus the interest to work and live in the UAE has increased a lot.  I would like to think I am not being lured by the glitz and glamour being portrayed by the lights and the promise of riches.  We are looking for work in the UAE in order to save enough money to be able to make it through the month without taking out a personal loan, to be able to afford a home or a car as currently in South Africa, on both our salaries we are unable to make ends meet.    Is this realistic or would we be uprooting our lives in south Africa for nothing?  I mean it is very difficult to secure jobs here and leaving the ones we have only to be back in year or so, with nothing and with more frustrations.

Guys please share and advice on whether this is viable or not.

wht ur profesnal ?\

I am working as an Administration Officer for the government.  My husband is working as a Locksmith.

Hi. Moved here 7 months ago with my family & can definitely say it's been great. Was teaching in SA in a govt school & am now teaching here. If you're coming with family, then I think your experience will be different. Most of those who come alone have a really challenging time. However, I do have SAn friends here who are here alone or with their partners & thus far, they're adjusting pretty well. It's still early days for us, but so far, it's been a very positive move for us. Yes, it's quite challenging in our work environment, but compared to where I came from, it's a breeze. Those who were spoilt in SA come here & complain.  We don't overspend or splash wildly. We do go out more than we used to in SA as with coupons & money-savings clubs, it's definitely affordable - & we do go on little holidays overseas in the winter or spring breaks. You just need to look out for good deals & spend wisely. Saving also helps. Just be warned that if your male partner is coming on the female partner's sponsorship, jobs are very hard to find for him & he will have to change his mindset about being a house-husband! On the upside, if you have kids, it's a lovely, safe environment here. So your adjustment here depends on which stage of your life you're in now, the kind of lifestyle you want to lead & your attitude to change. Flexibility is your biggest asset here.Hope this helps!

Shereen

Hi !

In response to your comment . Yes if you coming here to save and build an egg nest to improve your standard of living in South Africa , by all means do come. I am currently teaching in Abu Dhabi , which is the cleanest , safest and beautiful part of the world to work. But as teacher I have never been more challenged and stressed then in my over 20 years experience in SA. The education department takes good care of the expat employees and salary is good. You can save a lot if you keep your life here simple and make wise choices. I've seen friends get into debt so quickly . Loans and credit cards are easy to get unlike in SA. Many have fallen prey to this. If you are young couple then this will be a good move but older folk with ties back home , it may be more difficult  as you can get very homesick and long for family life. All the best in whatever you decide! Be prepared for a lot of challenges !

Hi Porsche 88

I posted a reply . Hope it will be helpful. This is a big move so give it all lot of thought. It's what you make of it and the type of person you are. This can be a wonderful and profitable experience in many ways.

Thank you Angie,

It is always great to have some insight from someone who has actually experienced and is living it.

Thank u! Each person has a completely different experience depending on where you located and the type of school you are allocated to as well as your attitude.

Hi
Need more info as to what is your qualifications or proffesion so we can give you more info on salaries and jobs available.

Regards
Mohamed