Tips and advice to thrive in Turkey

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Turkey?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Turkey?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Hello. I don't think that it is a problem of adapting. I had no problem from the start. I just went there and I felt normal. Their culture is different from mine and it is a very beautiful and respectful culture. You don't have to adapt to their culture, food or social codes. You just have to respect them and yours will also be.  When I first went there, it took me about a year to adjust to my home sick, and even after I still had it. It was a difficult period, but also wonderful. Best ofy life. I stayed there for two years. I don't know if you will ever feel like home, but personally I never felt like home and now I honestly regret it a lot because I fell in love with izmir and I will do my best to live there. Adjusting to a new country is never easy, but if you have people with who you can share the time, it will be do much better. The key is simple: language. If you manage to learn the language (pretty difficult) you will have absolutely no problem with settling there. After a few month, I will go back and try to start a life there. I love izmir and many places of Turkey. It's one beautiful country. If you go there, do not worry: you will love it. You will gave an amazing experience.

must learn the language.

Salam Alaikom
Well it's not that difficult to integrate into Turkish society, I have been in Turkey for the last 3 years in Izmir, Turkish people are so friendly and open as well to others what ever is their nationality, so all you need is to speak openly with people, you will be asked about your work and ur life and some of your privacy and I can tell you people there  are strongly curious so don't worry when you're asked a lot of questions.
In the hole just take it easy and be kind and be respected in your behaviour as wearable behaviour and so on.
And may Allah be with you in all your steps :)