Tips and advice to thrive in Thailand

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Thailand?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Thailand?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

For me the Adjusting was super easy, Didn't find it hard at all.

I all ready start to fell at home on my only vacation to Thailand around 90 days trip.

I think for me because the Adjusting  and fell at home was so easy, Might have to do with all the nice Thai people i meet here, They really embraced me with open arms and hearth.
I spend around 10% at Tourist place, and the other 90% away from it.

About "successful integration process" i am still on my way to that.
As for me a part of that is to "master" the language, And i still have some problems on that part.
A open mind, Be open for at things are done different here, in a different  tempo then where i come from.

And fell good about you self and the choice you make, So you let the Thai people around you help you, guide you, show you how the life is here in Thailand.
I am only talk about live around Thai people, away from the Tourist place, As i know very little about tourist place.

As my language teacher told me, to really undstand the what the word "Mai Pen Rai" means.
He say, Many know what it mean translate, But still don´t understand it.
It is a bit hard to explain, But life get a lot easy here, When one start to understand that better, Well i think it do...

Kindly.

To back up a bit and speak to the context of the question, it's interesting how expats tend to see integration in two relatively completely different scopes, or at least online discussion would indicate that.  On the one extreme some expats find it easy to nearly fully integrate, learning the language, picking up customs, etc., and the fit is natural.  On the other people retiring here that don't plan to integrate tend to be more negative about drawbacks as time goes on, or at least that's the impression one gets, one general stereotype. 

The people I tend to meet are working professionals and they don't really fall into either extreme; some aspects of integration work out, others don't.  But online comments really do tend to reflect this divide, to be from a very positive, compatible perspective or more negative and from a point of view separate from the local culture.

For me the difficulties related to language, and it took time to adjust to perspective, especially due to working in a Thai company.  It took 2 to 3 years to begin to feel at home and I wouldn't say it was an easy process, and I wouldn't be as positive about how well I've actually integrated as people that tend to communicate the fit is great that have only been here a year or so.  Oddly my personality type and general perspective fit well with a normal Thai outlook, much as there really is such a thing, but of course there are still differences.

Someone having success depends on their own circumstances and personality.  It would be different for a working professional, or English teacher, or retiree, and would vary within those types by individual circumstances as well.  For one person the key would be dropping prior expectations and habits and for someone else keeping connected to those would be the most helpful thing that they could do.  In any case it would all have to balance, even if at one or the other extreme.  Strong ties to Thailand would seem necessary, a reason for being here, although things could click and work out naturally even if someone moved here more or less on a whim.

I have been traveling and working in Thailand for nearly thirty years and have been retired and living happliy in Chiang mai for the last four. The simplest advice I could give is to look for the great things about Thai culture and life and adopt them as well as retaining the good things from your own background. Be open minded - ask Thai people questions about their life, most people are proud and happy to introduce you to their ways if you show an interest - above all don't make unfavorable comparisons out loud.

I choose to live here  because the benefits i enjoy outweigh the disadvantages by a large degree. Overall Thais are great people and if you show them respect they will return it. You cant change Thailand you have to change yourself and that might even be for the better.

Do not be a tourist, spend time in the many beautiful places Thailand has to offer.  Do not date bar girls because you can get educated girlfriends who will not demand money.  Fall in love, it is easy.

Learn to enjoy and cherish your solitude.  A large percentage of Thais only think and see farangs as being "Rich-suckers," (more so in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.)  People will try to scam you.  The only answer is to not be afraid of being by yourself and not depending on constant companionship.  Socialize with ones that you like and trust but don't expect that people will automatically treat you fairly and honestly.

Learn Buddhism.  The key for you over all keys.

Integration is where communication, justice and law are similar. Then its easier to integrate.
Thailand has laws but they are not implemented no applied for those coming from outside.

I didn't make it, am heading back to the US to live at least for 6-8 months a year.  After 3 years, buying a condo & a new car. I can't wait to get back to the US & kiss the ground. Them it;s off to South america to find a not so 3rd world home to live.  Patrick

I have been coming to Thailand from 2001 on  business and holiday
I found the Thais great people and have never been insulted or made to feel as a Farang
I moved to Thailand in the beginning of 2014 and even though I had read as much as I could about the country, the people, the Religion and the culture it was still a "cultural"shock to become a resident
My greatest problem and frustration was to see the standard of workmanship of many Thais and accept that.
I still refuse to and have now sourced decent well qualified workers and 90% of my frustrations have disappeared. For one negative there are 50 positive
I realise that I am not living in my home country and totally accept their way of living and realise that I have to adapt and not them.This has given me peace of mind and I live in a rural community with the most wonderful Thais who have totally accepted me according to my girlfriend who is a teacher  and who has family right through the village.
Driving here is a kamikaze experience but the same in my home country and I play dodgem
Thailand will never be my home country but it is a wonderful place to live and i cam here voluntarily
I can continue in this vein but enough for now
Barry

You never fully adjust to living in Thailand, I was here in the 70's and came to spend my life here 5 years ago.

First you need to go to a Thai Language school for 100 hours or more of listening and speaking Thai.

Learn the culture and customs quickly, ie: no hugging or kissing in public, no raising your voice, etc.

After about 2 years you become "Jai yen"  cooled out a little and becoming accustomed to Thai style, the Thai way of doing things.

Do not get into trouble with a Thai man, remember he has 10 family members and friends, who have a gun or access to one.

You and your life have no value to  Thai people. You will always be called "Felang" even by people who you have been friends with for many years.

We are not wanted here, but we are tolerated here.

You cannot change Thailand or Thai culture, it will change you.

Alex

This is how you have chosen to live?  Why not China or Russia, or the middle East.  You think Thailand is worth changing yourself. And never be accepted for who you are & what quality you have to offer.

I live very well here in a beautiful house with my Thai wife. We have been married 24 years. As I said it is your attitude that is the problem not Thailand. I would never consider living in the USA. The first night I arrived in San Francisco there was a gunfight in the alley outside my hotel window. The sirens were going all night.  What a welcome! We won't go there again.

Here if I mind my own business and try to be accommodating to the local ways of behaviour i feel pretty secure and accepted. We have lots of Thai friends and family and they are good honorable people who treat me well.
Look for trouble anywhere and it will find you.
When I returned to Australia I was surprised by how rude and offhand the people were including businesses. I could not wait to come back here to my home.

I have learned to more patient, quiet and peaceful. Not to stress the little things which we in the west consider as " our rights." Just get on with doing what you want to do and don't interfere with anybody else.
Try smiling.

You and your life have no value to  Thai people. You will always be called "Felang" even by people who you have been friends with for many years.

Farang is not a negativ word / bad word, It simple means white people or Westerners.
About me that 100% correct, So i have no problems with the word being use about me.

Try look up where and why the word come from, Really good infomation / story behind it.

Like other word it can can be use in a negative way, But i do think most foreigner misunderstand that meaning of this word.

If you move to a new place, country, And you want to be part of the live there, be part of population there, one have to change to fit in.
Change are good thing i think, I do feel i become a much better person after my time and changes here in Thailand.

I fell Thai respekt me, to much if i have to tell the truth.
Because i am a Farang ( white person) Thai put my high on their social ladder.
Because i have enough money to live without have to work, 1-2 steep more up that social ladder when Thai love to put people.
So therefor by Thai eye / mind They have to respekt me, and show me respekt.

I find it total silly, But have learn to live with it.

Sure one can fall to the bottom on that social ladder pretty fast here in Thailand, if one don´t respekt them self, respekt Thai people, treat other with no respekt, And so on.

Really, men do not need much more advice than this.. be humble and stay away from bar girls.. enjoy the natural beauty and chill a little. If your a professional, teacher or retired then stick to this and you will have the greatest opportunity to love Thailand. You can go and enjoy the bar scene from time to time but be careful it doesnt suck u in.. cos it will spit u out with interest.. seen it so many times!

Learning the Thai language seems to me more important than religion. But some knowledge of the Thai Buddhism can help to adapt, too.

I am married with a Thai women and I support her in her religious believes and activities. But I didn't convert and keep my roots.

You really have to stick your toe in so to speak.Try just vacationing and see how it goes.Then maybe spending A few months and going from there.Myself I like to travel.So I never stay in one place over 6 months at A time.Just play it by ear and take it from there.

I agree if you live here , where there is not a large expat community , local people will warm to you if you speak their language, or at least make an effort. Imagine being in your home country, and trying to communicate with someone who could not speak your language.It is virtually impossible , so coming here with an attitude that people should  all speak English is rather arrogant.

Falang ....why they don't call me by my name . Falang means alot for Thai people.Money is the main thing and you must have some and no money no honey even if you married to a Thai..if you live in the bush you probably don't know nothing about Thailand. Take a trip inside Thailand and anywhere ti get to know..But if you don't speak the language you out..you must communicate to see what is going on in real world and not what you hear..then you can make you judgement. It's cool to say good things about the country you choose to live but get the real truth from honest thai to open up for you