Tips and advice to thrive in Spain

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Spain?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Spain?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Just one thing. learn the language.

Learn the language.  Avoid becoming too involved with ex-pat groups. Learn not to get wound up by Spanish bureaucracy, accept it for what it is and go with the flow. There's a reason for taking a siesta and eating later - find out what it is and try if out. You came to live here because life in the UK was lacking something - don't forget what it was.  Smile and life will be that much easier.

Hi! I'm Finnish expat in Alicante. Here are some thoughts that came in my mind.
Be open-minded, don't always say ''in my country...''. Don't ask everything you don't know from Facebook, find official websites and use a common sense. Learn the language as it suits for you. Try to speak Spanish with locals as much as possible - shows you really care, mistakes are normal. Add your input PC-language also in Spanish.

Hello,

For me the key was to get married to a Spanish girl....

But for those who are already married, or do not feel like it, I can give these 2 advices:

1. learn the language asap. Nobody takes you serious if you do not speak the language, not even other expats.

2. do not try to be spanish. treasure your nationality. It is much easier going through life as a guiri than trying to hide it.

I was lucky I must admit. I can to Spain 12 years ago and fell in love with a Spanish lawyer. We started a relocation and service company for expats,[Moderated] and I had a smooth integration.

This is my story:xxx

Cheers, and greetings from Valencia!

Lodewijk

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Removal of extarnal links. Please do not promote your own services on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Learn the language - easier said than done!
Mix with the locals as far as possible.
Maintain your sense of humour when dealing with bureaucracy...
Drive defensively!
ENJOY!!

As the other comments say, learn a little of the language. Don't believe everything you hear in your local ex pat bar, check it out for yourself as most of it is  hear say or assumption and can lead you completely the wrong direction , we call it ' Bar Talk'.

Learn the language. That means knuckling down to it and doing several hours per day from the start. If you don't you will never learn the language and you will never be a part of what is going on.

An afterthought to my first reply, do not get English language TV.

The main advice here seems to be learn the language and its probably the best it will open up opportunities in all aspects of your life and is well worth putting the time and effort into, enjoy the learning process

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + do not promote external link. Thank you

In Spain I advise taking time, taking time to talk with the shop keeper, the bus driver, the vendor at the door, the diesel oil delivery man, the plumber, etc, This is how one not only establishes string long term personal contacts but one also gets to know the area better,  the  often unpublished available opportunities and how one gets to be known.
This networking is what makes Spain run. Time well spent. Stop rushing and missing out on this.

Hi,
What is the name of your company? My wife, kids and I are moving to Valencia this August (2016) from Toronto, Canada, and may have need for your services.
Thanks! Steve

Networking is such great advice from the local Notary to the gas delivery man