Tips and advice to thrive in Saudi Arabia

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Saudi Arabia?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Saudi Arabia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

1st, accept where you are and it is real and keep your eyes ears open, keep on learning.
2nd, respect LAW, never mess with law.
3rd, respect locals, give them priority, its their right and they like it.
4th, try to learn Arabic, if not too much then little but with better pronunciation and while in traffic issues, cant' speak Arabic then don't speak broken Arabic, keep silent, express you can't speak Arabic.
5th, Saudi Arabia is a great place (not easy) to live (from a certain point of view) and got a very strong and mature culture,  needs to be respected.
these are few key points...........but very important.............AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, KEEP YOUR IQAMA (resident permit) with your no matter what happens, you can forget to wear clothes (kidding... :)  but cannot afford to take IQAMA with you all times when go out side..
if you will be able to survive few early years you will like to stay here long.......
and as usual live and let live......is the KEY.........

I feel its the safest place. You can roam anywhere in the outer areas of the city. You should just follow the rules.

You get a lot of time to discover yourselves. You can either waste your time in watching movies on internet or use your time to develop some skills.

Hello There,

It is really a hustle at the begining to adapt to Saudi especially the very hot weather in summer and the sepration between males and females in all aspects of life. But as soon as you accept these facts here your life will be much easier and it is really a winning situation living here on the long run; it is safe country (never felt as safe as here), the salary is very compaptative in comparison with other parts of the world, life expensess are very reasonable. People are nice in general and mind their own business, and finally work duyies are not that demanding.

My advice would be try to accept things you can't change fast, and try to explore different places around you like malls, parks, beaches ...etc and most importantly try to make some friends it really helps to kill the free time and be around people who understand you. Another advice don't go shopping alot prices are very attractive and you will spend a fortune before yo realise.

Wish you best of luck in Saudi

Same as APOLOGOD definately

Keep a inage of a bumper sticker in your mind that says...
"nothing surprises me,  little shocks me"

Does not be too polite in traffic  - you will uposet the flow, push in and let others push in.  make eye contact sometimes ..sometoime do NOT. it must not be personal.
Saving face is BIG here - thats why even brand name phones have a feature  called FAKE CALL to allow people toi exit meeting etc. they cannot just stand up and leave.

massive mix of cultures. enjoy it all.
I have sat on the floor in the yemeni car parts market eating chicken and rice, and have pernally asked the Prince of Riyadh for help (succesfully) ah and thats another thing. if someone says toi you write a letter to the king  - you can actually do this. ie special circumstances.

Never even blink, prfetend its completely normal if i car approaches you coming in the opposite direction the motorway at 120km. yes serios. worry more about the guy going 200 in the same direction.  he is the one u dont see. and is whooooa..  sometimes you may even see the undeside of his car a little later.

In the past the speed limit was as fast as you can go, there was very little theft, all sewage and water was trucked, and mobulke phone sim cards cost was SAR10,000 (yes)
now speed is enforced (for most of us) theft is a reality, even you may have yiur phone lifted off you inside your car , from your ear, with window half closed
Sewage , water, is in place ...piped... and the city is bursting with trade, civil projects , city metro rail, pleasant choas everywhere. for now you can just managfe to park on a pavement (they too did not exist before) but this days numbered . police car have cameras and if you even just double park. you will get and SMS as proof of a recorded violation.

soon it will be a punisable violation (Saher traffic sensors) to turn left from the right lane and cross over..

Trade: prices expected to be negotiated.

Learn from every experience and smile a lot.  it is truelly an exciting place to live. and you can buy anything  here - anything yes anything.  though i have battlked to find a specific hard shell
Samsonite / american tourister original hardshell suitcase.  but the choice is amazing.

taxis everywhere  - use them  near markets and gov buildings.
you need a 4 wheel drive to enjoy the desert.  we sleep in the desert about 70 night of the year. AMAZING

sadley two things i do have issues with  rubbish being discarded  - and i mean way outside the city in scenic spots. and lack of wildlife due to hunting.
in fiteen years i have seen two snakes.

if u survive 1.1 year, yoiu have made it.  low cost (still) and you will meet many amzing people from every country. Always say yes when you are invyed to an invitation.

work hours for some its 8 to 5 but for most of us its 24 hours a day. U may close a deal at 3 in the morning drinking tea.
Enjoy!!!

When I arrived here in Riyadh that was July. It was very dry, humid and extremely hot. So we arrived at our accommodation where a 4 x 5 ft room is occupied by 8 people. Four double-decker bed, with all sorts of personal materials in it (used and alike). We used the airconditioner to make our water cold in family size soft drink  plastic bottles hanging infront of the aircondition.  Imagine being new in a place where you thought everything is first class. I was recruited by one of numerous establishments. My fellow ofw gave me food which is uncommon to you (Kabsa) with 'girgir' which I did not partake. I just feasted myself with the yellow rice and chicken.  In the morning, we had to line up for your turn to use the toilet. With 12 of us and1 toilet so I thought I should wake up early . I was excited during my first day at work in a foreign country like Saudi Arabia. Our office time is broken from 8 am till 12 noon and all of us will go home, cook our food, eat and rest for a while and go back again to work from 4pm till 9 pm. Very long hours of work with a meager salary of SR1000.  You have to keep your key and residence permit (iqama) with you at all times.  Because while working or walking around the authorities will always ask for your IQAMA. You cannot tell the mutawa (religious police) or 999 that you forget your iqama in your house, otherwise, they will tell you in Arabic ' yalaaa sawa sawa GMC'. What if it's weekend, nobody knew that you were caught  and in jail by the police. Who will tell your employer. Unless the police will notify your employer that you're in their custody.
This place is good only for earning our living.  Specially, the ladies they cannot go alone in the mall, it is dangerous for ladies to walk in the streets.  So if you're working in a hospital just work  and if you have transport facilities go with group to be safe.  Because going out alone is not advisable, in fact it is very dangerous.  Always ready with your key and iqama at all times. Cheers!

Unless you are a single young man, with no family or commitments, no expectations, and can live without the spoils of 21st century democracy and liberalism, you would be clinically insane to go to Saudi Arabia. I lost 2 years of my life in Riyadh. When my wife and son DID join me after 10 months, the only solace we had was found in a western compound which was very expensive and limiting. Outside the walls of the compound was akin to The Walking Dead socially, politically and spiritually.

A brutal and depraved country which only accepts foreigners begrudgingly, though foreign investment and democratic change are exactly what the country needs. If you would like to contact me regarding this and hear the REAL story of Saudi, please do so.

Hi Priscilla,

When I first came to Saudi Arabia, I had lots of misconceptions that quickly dissipated. For example,.. I was skeptical of the safety aspect. Mainly due to the media blasts about Saudi Arabia. All the negative stuff like inequality (Although true in many ways), such as women not being allowed to drive has plagued us all in the west. This is true! And as ridiculous as the excuses they use not to allow women to drive, I find myself still not wanting to drive here, as it is the craziest place in the world to be a driver. And trust me, I've been around all over the world. Driving here, and being in traffic is still very frightening for me! I've lost a fellow teacher, and one other lost his wife and two children and a student ... all in the same accident a few years ago.

After five years in KSA, do I feel at home here? Plainly, no! And I don't want to feel that way either. Canada, and all that comes with it is still my home and I have no intentions of changing that! As much as I enjoy certain privileges here by holding a Canadian passport, I have not felt the same feeling of freedom as back home. You have to always be on your guard here, and make sure you have your IQAMA (foreigners ID) on you all the time... not having it on you and being stopped by the police, which make their living harassing foreigners, will spell big trouble!

Has it been easy adjusting?? Not for me! I love different cultures and have travelled to many parts of the world. I can tolerate it well though, keeping full awareness that this is very temporary and will never define me, nor my life. And don't have any plans to make it long-term.

This is my last year here! I am looking forward to a post-life beyond KSA. It has been a good experience, and being a male here has certainly given me more advantages than if I were a woman. The issues faced by a western single woman would give this write-up a completely different perspective than my own. Working as a teacher has afforded me a good life compared to most regular jobs here. I have been able to travel a lot and every year going back home on my employers' money. I have enjoyed expense free living and a no-tax system, which I am sure I will miss back home in Canada. I look forward to camping at our national parks, enjoying a mountain bike ride in the wooden trails, a skinny dip in a lake somewhere, a nice glass of wine over a nice dinner and company. All of the above and not worrying about police and religious Mutawas (Religious Police) harassing people at praying hours on the street. I can't wait to not worry about the amount of garbage dispensed on the streets and everywhere here. I look forward to filling my recycling bins and be shirtless in the Summer without worrying about the heat nor exposing my shoulder to shoulder tattoo!

Yeah... it's time to go home!

I used to live in a compound, i do not regret it - but it was good money trown away as the cost of the compound went up. I now live in a room with ()my own) bathroom. and it is completely possible to live a decent life here.
What is wont do it to discuss cultural and habitual attitudes to the female gender.  granted some chgallenges
likewise i will not go into the mechanics of the Sponsor System for Personal reasons.
if yiou can work in Saudi on a visit visa work permit (not iqama) YOU wil have control.

I am giving hand to all of previous writers .....respect and apply the rules carefully ....try to learn Arabic language or few important sentences...

i'm enjoying my popcorn now...carry on.

talking of popcorn,
for people thinking of coming to Saudi.
Any type of food is available here, and most of the food is of good quality - but let the buyer beware.
Generally the food is cheap and is really great.  little food is wasted and no food is kept till the next day, to be resold. ( inspections by the Min of health)   Food is a big part of the daily ritual of life. if you need more than popcorn, Saudi has it all.  from expensive to cheap - you will find it.  like i said if you invited accept the invitation. even if its popcorn.
Most likely there will be sheesha too..

if you move to Saudi NEVER NEVER NEVER bring anything with you ie household goods.
buy it here, cars are cheap, and your teast in furniture will change. What at first you dont like or evn imagine you could like , will change.  ie when u arrive u will find the special coffee disgusting, and some time you will take every opportunity in Hotel foyeurs tio have a cup (finjal) of ghawah and a date. you have been warned that if u makle it past a year - and you cant live without a box of klennex on the table that you arfe probably addicted to living here. Hamudi, hows the popcorn?

A good thread for people like me looking to move to KSA...

I would be grateful if people could please share their experiences on personal safety and ease of travel outside of kingdom to neighbouring countries.....

Hello Tandyman,

Saudi is very safe place in travelling in and out and within.
Most roads have police patrols 24/7 and they are very nice they offered me support on the road more than once and I often see them helping people on the road.
Staying in Saudi gives you the opportunity to visit all GCC countries with the minimist complications and you can drive there very simpley if you are staying in the Eastern Provience (Dammam and its surroundings) only a matter of 3 hours to Kuwait, 4 hours to Qatar, 7 hours to UAE, and one hour to Bahrain.
If you are offered a good package definiltly move in.

Kind regards and good luck
Ahmed

good idea but hope according to saudi rules and regulation u get bored

Make friends.  Go to the mall.  Accept invitations to different gatherings.  Be open minded.

Dear
No body lerning or adopting culture & language
Form befor birth
Where ever are going that is starting a new life that means a new birth .must we will forget  old life style and procedures  slowly .after that we are automatically adopting  new culture new language  new situations. ....

Things are interesting as a single woman here. Or actually... fairly uninteresting.

There are some things I definitely like about here. The people I've met have been very kind and hospitable, and love that I know a little bit of Arabic (my little Arabic plus charades make restaurants, sales, etc doable). Students do try to get away with a lot, but I've never had anyone be rude or unkind in the 5-6 months I've been here.

Salary is good, prices are good. At least, as an American teacher, they are. The salaries for manual laborers are freaky low to me, but they may be worth it depending on exchange rates. (I make 10 times more than a friend of mine who works in a salon. o.O)

Wear your seatbelt. I'd kind of like to drive if I was allowed--but the traffic is scary enough I probably wouldn't. I've never had any worries about safety or crime, though of course I wouldn't wander around alone at midnight here or in the US.

I'm in a smallish city, and while it seems to be a fairly nice place for families, it's really not set up for single women. I'm not on a compound, which means I can get out of the expat bubble more. But it's also fairly isolating. There aren't many places I can really meet other women. The park or the salon, maybe. I spend probably more time than is healthy sitting at home and reading or watching movies or doing crafts. I keep myself sane, but on vacations I really do have to get out of the city or country, because a week or two of being alone all the time isn't good.

Then there's the fact that I'm decidedly a minority in beliefs... I generally only talk about it when beliefs coincide. Respect them, and it's better not to talk about anything else.

So, my summary: it's not a bad place for a few years--better if you have a family--but very very few expats could call it home long-term.

One reason is the effect that a downturn has on asset values: Other things being equal, it's a good time to buy. Bain analysis of more than 24,000 transactions between 1996 and 2006 shows that acquisitions completed during or just after the 2001-2002 recession generated almost triple the excess returns of acquisitions made during the preceding boom years. ("Excess returns" refers to shareholder returns from four weeks before to four weeks after the deal, compared with peers.) This finding held true regardless of industry or the size of the deal. Given today's relatively low equity values, acquirers with cash to invest are likely to find deals that produce similar returns.

What is your reference point for peronal Safety?  johanneburg zuriuch, new york?

It is debateable.
Let me know.
In general this is a safe place.
But exclude dyoing froma car crash.. that is rather high.. but no one will pull a knife on you or rob youy vciolently (there may be exceptions) but your never look over yoiur sholder here. but if you dont watch your wallet it may get nicked. in general the culture and that most things are cheap, and punishment harch... keeps most people "honest"

Respect their values, you will get good people and also bad every part of the globe.
I have very good experience, love each other and show your open minded behaviour ready to accept a different society.

The main key to successfully living in Saudi Arabia is to accept their culture and traditions. This does not mean that you have to agree with it just accept it. Also, seek out the adventures that Saudi has to offer. It is rich in architecture and natural wonders. There is Madain Sala, Old Turkish forts and dams that are over 2000 years old. Also, one needs to explore all the different foods available from Asian to Arabian. There all good and if your really adventurous you can learn to cook them for your self. Visiting the red sea is also great. And if your really want a treat go diving on the coral reef. There is so much do all you need is a positive mind set and an adventurous sprit. But if you what thing to be like home then your never going to like being there.

Alphonso Alonzo wrote:

The main key to successfully living in Saudi Arabia is to accept their culture and traditions. This does not mean that you have to agree with it just accept it. Also, seek out the adventures that Saudi has to offer. It is rich in architecture and natural wonders. There is Madain Sala, Old Turkish forts and dams that are over 2000 years old. Also, one needs to explore all the different foods available from Asian to Arabian. There all good and if your really adventurous you can learn to cook them for your self. Visiting the red sea is also great. And if your really want a treat go diving on the coral reef. There is so much do all you need is a positive mind set and an adventurous sprit. But if you what thing to be like home then your never going to like being there.

Diving on coral sound interesting. Can you give more information?

Hi Precy (as we call my sister Priscilla).
It's a slow process. When you left your family especially when you're a mother. It would be difficult. Some say they experienced lost of appetite. silently crying when you're alone in your room. You will adjust gradually with a different environment like Saudi Arabia. You cannot go out alone to buy something from the Supermarket or the store near your accommodation. It is very dangerous for ladies to go around without having a companion to cry for help whenever necessary. It is very important that you bring with you your residence permit (IQAMA) and keys to your accommodation. During summer months of July-September when the temperature reaches 45-50 degrees C.
However, you'll be accustomed to your environment, share your experienced with your co-workers, socialized, and with high-end electronic gadgets where you can expressed your  feelings, as well as chatting with your relatives when you're at your accommodation. This will really keep you out of homesickness.
Just relax and live each day at a time...and you'll notice that it's time for your annual holiday.  Indeed the time is very fast. You'll get used to your staying in Saudi Arabia.  What can you ask for, salary in full every month..... NO TAX.  Enjoy your work and the company of your friends.  God Bless.
Miguel de Mayumo

Actually I'll use the expression of rachstew "expat bubble". All the above bad impressions which observed by some of us are the main targets of those investors (owners of compounds), they want to build this emotional fence between 3 groups of people:
1) Saudi nationals
2) expats outside compounds
3) expats inside compounds
- The target is to let each group consider the other groups as follows:
(A) Saudi nationals will see (expats outside compounds) as a second grade humans, uncivilized people and outlandish.
They will see (expats inside compounds) as arrogant and conceited people because they are afraid from the wild animals walking in the streets and isolate themselves in secured buildings.
(B) Expats outside compounds will see (Saudi nationals) as dictatorial, unfair, aggressive and arrogant nation, it's "The Kafeel Syndrome"
They will see (expats inside compounds) as the lucky people who is earning a very high salary and luxurious life, sometimes this praise will be converted to malice and rancor.
(C) Expats inside compounds will see (Saudi nationals) as a furious people especially those who driving and disrespect the road rules, as a lazy nation especially those who see them don't work more than 30 minutes per day.
They will see (expats outside compounds) as dummy & inferior for some of them or marginalized & oppressed fro some others. commonly they will prefer to stay away from them because they don't know about them.

** This is the gap which serves the investors of residential complexes to grow up.

Sorry for my long article as well as my linguistic mistakes

Tariq Monir

Dear friend,
You are arrange a working visa.pervently request to you you can do it.
Thanks
Liakat Ali
Bangladesh

Hi
it all depends on you visa or iqama, and for some nationalities their passport
Its quite easy and cheap to fly to any of the neighbouring states. I am in the Eastern Prov so Bahrain is 50 minutes away by car - including border checks.
Dubai is less than an hour by air- and with the time difference you hardly notice the flight time
Doha is also less than an hour's flight

If you are in other provinces, e.g Riyadh - you can take a bus all the way to Jordan

Saudi is centrally located in the mid east - so travelling to the far east is also easy with many available carriers to choose from.
I am enjoying my sojourn here, even the weather!! :top:

hi there,
this is my first time in saudi arabia or any other foreign country whatsoever
regarding your queries,
1. adjusting in saudi arabia was very easy for me cos its very safe here as compared to any other country. no need to worry about any thing about safety of your family, yourself, your belongings. yes you feel a bit home sick if you leave your country but thats not specific to any single place.
2. i felt like being at home right after a couple of months here, cos, the lifestyle here is conservative, very much cultured the way it is in some parts of india where i am from
3.key for integration process here or in any parts of the world is accept the cultural uniqueness of that place and dont be critical, respect their culture and religion and their lifestyles.

i think this is one of the very few nations in the world which is very safe for women contrary to what the outside world thinks of it. you will have to live here to know what i am speaking cos i sound exceptional.

you are right every word

This I'd like to hear...

sorry, i don't know what you are asking to hear about ???????????

I'd like to hear...

Dear what exactly information you like from my side.
Be specific, so I can reply you, please.
Thanks.