Tips and advice to thrive in the Philippines

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to the Philippines?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in the Philippines?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Here the biggest adjustments are the crumbling infrastructure such as poor roads and crowded streets due to the lack of money or graft preventing the needed highway works. Worst internet backbone in Asia. Overpriced and poorly maintained utilities. Crime (mostly theft) against expats and their families. Overpriced land in the cities and the inability of an expat to own land in his own name. A VERY slow moving legal system which is prone to bribes. Uneducated or undereducated people being given jobs that they shouldn't have due to most of the qualified and educated people fleeing aboard to work.

I have found that you have to be very flexible when it comes to tolerating all the country's shortcomings. I like to tell myself that, if it wasn't as messed up as it is, then it wouldn't be so nice and cheap for us expats. Makes me feel a lot better. :)

i add more. philippines borrow money  from you its means they will not return at all. in market buy vegetable or meat  oh less in weight. because  their scales un balanced.

Yes there are many things badly managed in the Philipinnes and as a foreigner you have to grin and bear it. i get the feeling that the government is not really bothered if you stay or go. You can take it or leave it. Filipinos are too forgiving and forgetful of their governments short comings. Its really a case of if you dont like the way things are leave, cause it aint going to change in a hurry.

Well said Dinky 2408, the Philippines government is the most corrupt government is SE Asia and the populace allows it to go on like that, for example,  Janet Napoli who faded from the news I have watched this for the past 5 years, the same with the president before Aquino just kind of faded into obscurity. The really sad part is that nobody cares and never will, so if you cannot handle that you might as well leave.

Hi I was born and bred in the Philippines but moved out 15 years ago. We are back because of my husband's project and I must say that I need to readjust back to our way of life. I have experienced the unpleasant side of my country and it is irritating.  My tip, check on everything to avoid being trapped in this cycle!

I had very little trouble adapting.  Maybe because were I grew up we did not have electric till 1969 and was raised in a home with a sheet metal roof with pitcher pump & outhouse.   I made friends fast here. I do agree with some loan money it will not come back. Her family is not that bad. It comes back as pork & goat when they butcher, produce from there farm, coconuts, banana, mango, and other small things but never cash. They think of it as a advance on what I will buy later from them. Roads are bad but you can drive them.  I shop at the market one of the few Americans I think that do. Never have a problem there & the kids know I do not give them money.  I give them a hand shake they stick there hand out and say nice to meet you. That gets a smile from most around. Dumb American I am.  I found if you help the neighbors a bit, speak to them you get a smile & thought well of here.  I know some Americans here that don't. Never been robbed here yet.  Did have one little snatch steal a empty rice bag out of my back pocket on Chines New Year a year ago. My billfold was in my front pocket.  No idea why he needed a empty bag. So may I ask this. Do you get along well were you live now with people? If so you will or most will get along well here.  If not you will probably not get along with people here also. Just meet them half way. Learn to listen as they teach you. Only show them how you would do it were your from never demand it.  They will meet you 1/2 way here.

My sentiments exactly philipperv!

You hit the nail on the head when you spoke to a trade-off situation: shortcomings vs. relatively inexpensive living in a welcoming country. Just would like to add one more item to your list. Based on my experience, and the experience of my friends, one should NEVER lend money to a Filipino!  You will never see that money again.  Guaranteed!

We have lent money to nieces and nephews for their education with the idea that if they don't pay us back then they will lend money to the next generation.  So far one paid us back and the others know we will lend no money to anyone in their family until they do so first.  People still ask, but I tell them I am retired from the banking business, made no money.

I've been living here for 16 years now and I have seen a lot. A Filipino will repay a loan only because they realize that that is the only way they will get another loan from you. So if you do find someone who repays loans expect to keep getting hit up by them for more loans.

Appreciation is a feeling that escapes most Filipinos. I want to emphasize to the Filipinos reading this that "Utang na loob" or "A debt of gratitude" is not the same concept.

The person who paid back the loan is working in the Middle East, has not asked for another loan

Probably cause they don't need it now. Time will tell. I gave a donation to some of my kid's Tacloban relatives after Yolanda. All I asked in return was a photo of their Barrio after the repairs were made. Didn't even get that.

I find all the negative comments interesting and perplexing.  If you live here only because it's "cheap", I would say your missing out on so much.  The charm of the culture, the beautiful countryside, the great food (when you have the right cook).  Example: we drove from Davao to Cagayan de Oro last weekend.  GPS sent us on the "shorter" route.  LOL!  A good 50KM was unpaved and one notch below rock crawler paths.  I could complain about poor signage, no available advance information and the curious approach to highway construction.  But I had a ball!  How often do you get to crawl up and down mountain roads in beautiful country, laze through small villages of smiling people, snap shots of young children whiling away time on the back of a grazing carabao or be surprised by an excellent Italian restaurant where you least expect it?  My advice: be aware of the pitfalls and challenges, but be open to the myriad charms.  It's a great country with wonderful people.

Good for you elmerbug! I took that "short" route and, starting just past the Army Camp, got into a big fight with my wife who was terrified that we would get a flat tire from the rocks and then "kidnapped" by rebels. I wanted to go so badly! :(

Advice  do not expect filipino contractor to have their own tools.
suggestion go out and buy tool before you call a repair man.

Boy, do I agree with that.  I had a crew show up to install a sectional garage door at my house.  A 2-car garage, mind you.  The team of 3 arrives with a very tired tape measure, a pencil and a screw driver.  I'm not joking.  No saw, no drill, no chalk line, no wrenches.  Nada.
I still wonder how they thought they were going to install that door.  Good thing I had the requisite tools and equipment.

I came to the Philippines about 15 years ago to determine if it was a suitable retirement destination.  I found it offered everything i was looking for and i decided to remain permanently.  The main reasons are:
1. Like my home, the United States, the Philippines is a very free country. 
2. The people and Philippine society are welcoming and inclusive.
3. For a person on a fixed pension the standard of living is considerable more affordable than my home, thus providing a better quality of life.
4.  While the infrastructure for tourists need much improvement, its a beautiful country will many unspoiled seaside and mountain areas.
5.  One must understand that the Philippines is a poor and developing country, so there are many inconveniences you do not find in a developed country.  However with this understanding and patience, most problems can be fixed.
6. The retirement authority is an efficient and helpful organisation.
6. Finally, its more fun in the Philippines.
Thank-you

answers to each question below.....

How did you manage to adjust to the Philippines?
There are a number of answers to this one....
1. You must have a good sense of humour because there will be many situations where it is best to just shake your head and smile. Trying to be helpful and change the way things are done is futile because "that is the way we do it in the Philippes"
2. Adjusting will be a constant battle but having said that if you come here with the attitude that you will not adjust that would be a mistake.
3. Adjustment to life here is more achieveable if you acknowledge the good and tolerate the bad with your good sense of humour of course.

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?
I don't think I will ever feel at home until the government changes a few laws that prevent this from happening eg. land ownership, a filipina can own land in my country but it is not the same here for me. You will find many examples of discrimination here but can only shake your head and smile.

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in the Philippines?
You must spend a few months here before you start signing a lease or buying a condo. If you are looking for a wife....choose carefully! There are many stories of foreigners being taken for a lot of money online and I have spoken to quite a few victims personally. If you do find that special lady be aware that it is more than likely she comes with a family expecting your support also. So all in all the "key" is to be aware and don't trust anyone until they earn your trust. I have a policy that respect and trust is something that is earnt not just given.

Well Priscilla. I wonder why so many live here but only because it's cheap. A very shallow attitude. Of course this is not the UK or the US. If it was I wouldn't live here. Most of the comments are relatively true money and tools being the most recognisable. I do give money but not in the expectation of it being returned just as a gesture of friendship and help. Sometimes the giving of a pound or a couple of dollars is a life saver for them. I have travelled a lot and whilst many things are not good the bad is outweighed by the huge good things about living here. I have friends, mainly female from age 18 to 30 plus, it is delightful to chat to them, to enjoy their company. you certainly would not get in UK/US.  Going to the toilet can be a very primitive experience, but just live with it, they are so clean in themselves but very careless about garbage. I love my life here.  This country, like many countries in asia, is what you make it, you want a little bit of UK/US don't bother you will hate it. Come with an open mind accept what is life here and enjoy. Must sign off going for a beer lol.

davtjo wrote:

Well Priscilla. I wonder why so many live here but only because it's cheap. A very shallow attitude. Of course this is not the UK or the US. If it was I wouldn't live here. Most of the comments are relatively true money and tools being the most recognisable. I do give money but not in the expectation of it being returned just as a gesture of friendship and help. Sometimes the giving of a pound or a couple of dollars is a life saver for them. I have travelled a lot and whilst many things are not good the bad is outweighed by the huge good things about living here. I have friends, mainly female from age 18 to 30 plus, it is delightful to chat to them, to enjoy their company. you certainly would not get in UK/US.  Going to the toilet can be a very primitive experience, but just live with it, they are so clean in themselves but very careless about garbage. I love my life here.  This country, like many countries in asia, is what you make it, you want a little bit of UK/US don't bother you will hate it. Come with an open mind accept what is life here and enjoy. Must sign off going for a beer lol.

I agree.

We all have different personalities and needs. Try living here for a few months. Keep a positive attitude and an open mind. Be respectful of the locals.

Western products are expensive here. Local products are relatively inexpensive. Need to sign off for now. Going to a mall salon for a manicure, pedicure and foot spa combo for US$16.

If you want thrive in the Philippines be very careful of the family you choose because if you get one that does not want to do better with you but only do better on your expense then be prepared to be unhappy because your life does not change for the better. Family is important but improvement of your life no matter where you are is also important.

Totally agree with you - I have it the same way in Phil.
For those who are not happy here why stay?