Tips and advice to thrive in Peru

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Peru?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Peru?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

peru
adjust.  just replace talking about the climate with talking about food and restaurants
and more food.

feel at home. It can take a life time. its an interesting process.

successful process? speak fluently in spanish about food.

Have patience with officials and paperwork. Smile and always say por favor y gracias - it really works and people will always help. Be enthusiastic about food and drink - it's what drives the country! Driving - ahhhhh yes - take a few taxi rides and watch the system - there is one and it does work!

driving.....   if " it does work"  means an incredible high fatality rate , bus and coaches falling down canyons "regularly "  drivers treating pedestrians like target practice at a fun fair and a shrug of the shoulders " what can you do" yes you are right "it does work".

It was easy to adjust to Peru because of previously living in another Latin American country. I felt at home in Cusco from the very first time coming here so it was a comfortable process. Having lived here half the year for six years, I still feel like I am coming home every time I arrive into the magical sacred valley, the beautiful Andes and the cool city of Cusco. The key for successful integration anywhere is knowing how to speak the language; smiling, engaging & laughing with most everyone; being open to each moment as learning energy; letting go of expectations or resistance; and going with the flow of the spark of life!

Don't be a noisy foreigner, be a quiet foreigner. Smile at others unless you're female, then don't make eye contact with younger males. Have patience (you'll never have enough). Don't own a vehicle. Travel like everyone else. Dress like others around you. Don't use tattoos, piercings, etc.