Tips and advice to thrive in Nigeria

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Nigeria?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Nigeria?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Great questions!

How did you manage to adjust to Nigeria?

ME: Honestly, it took a long while to get adjusted to how people relate with each other and the big difference in peoples living economics. I lived in Warri, Delta State , for 9 years before moving to Lagos and truly even from one state to another is even a big difference.

ME: After a long while, I just emerged myself in my husband's customs and tried to learn the pidgin English in Warri so I could relate more to the people around me.

How long does it take to feel at home?

ME: For me because Warri had limited entertainment at the time and there was curfew a lot of times, ot took me about 1 1/2 years.  Also because most expats in Warri live in a Closed Compound and I lived locally because my husband is a Independent Architect from Warri, we didn't see much expats.

Would you say it is an easy process?

ME: I think it depends on you and your individual circumstances.  Also it depends how open minded you are to learn and relate with the local people .

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Nigeria?

ME: Most important thing is to learn the rules of the land, money exchange, customs,  try to learn the language and most of all be Very Understanding /Patient