Tips and advice to thrive in Nepal

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Nepal?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Nepal?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

I looked at it like it was a learning experience and when I'd get upset about something I'd just remind myself that it's culture, not personal. Nepal is such a safe, friendly place I felt at home right away.

The work ethic was the biggest adjustment. For example, I had the room where I was staying painted. We had to stay with the workers and watch them constantly. When one of the workers fell off the chair he was standing on I didn't know if he had a stroke or what. There was no equipment like a ladder. I took him to the hospital only to find out he had been drinking all day and was just drunk. Quite normal.

When I first arrived I stayed in the Kathmandu city area. I kept getting sinus infections from the pollution. It wouldn't be so bad but the dust combines with the diesel from the buses.  When the earthquake came in 2011 I moved to Bhaktapur, which I read is better ground for earthquakes.

Please do not think that the people in Kathmandu represent the average Nepali. These are mostly displaced merchants from India and the Tarai. When you get out of the city you will meet real Nepali who will capture your heart.

Now I live in Changunarayan. Everyone who comes to visit me and sits up on my rooftop terrace tells me how well I've done with my choice of a retirement place.