Tips and advice to thrive in Mauritius

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Mauritius?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Mauritius?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

This is a good idea to have a Chat about living in foreign countries. Me personally
i was living in Mauritius a Long Long time and for me it was not a problem to adapte there.
First of all you have to integrate your self. This is only possible by talking several languages especially in Mauritius French and English which helps a lot. After a while i have learned to speak creole. And if you speak creole in Mauritius all doors are open for you and there you feel how warm are the Mauritian and how easy it is to be a part of a Mauritian Society.
Coming back to your questions. I think it depends what you want and what are your ideas and also are you able to adapt other cultures.
Alors mo laisse twa et a la prochaine.

Salutation et A +

Olliver

One of my best recommendations would be to learn Mauritian Kreol (at least the essentials). It is important to differentiate yourself from tourists and Mauritians really enjoy hearing foreigners who are making the effort ! It can make things easier, help to negotiate prices ...

It is not very complicated to feel integrated in Mauritius. Mauritius is a multi origins-multi cultural- multi religions destination and people are really open minded.

Foreigners are welcome and we feel good in Mauritius  :one

Don't expect things to be the same as in your home country - ie the service industries, public services,  plumbers, electricians etc or you will be frustrated at times.
You have to learn to go with the flow!

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + please start a new thread
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi

It is a good idea to spend some time in the country as though you are living there to gain a more realistic experience.  I am interested in finding accommodation for 2-3 weeks that is not as expensive as the hotels.  Any suggestions?

Regards
Annie