Tips and advice to thrive in Jordan

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Jordan?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Jordan?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hi,
Hi Priscilla,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.
Depending on where one has been living before, there may occur some changes....

How did you manage to adjust to Jordan?
It took me some time to get to know the daily way of living. Simply never stop learning...

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?
I think with time one can adjust quite well.   I dont put my trust in the hands of others and nothing is being eaten as hot the way it has been cooked....

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Jordan?
According to ones interests, there is either lots to do or nothing at all. The ones married probably enjoy a full time job, while singles have the option to dedicate themselves to nature and wildlide. There are plenty of options since Jordan is a very important stop for especially birds due to its suitable warm climate most of the year. Over 430 different kinds have been registered so far, and due to the fact that the country is rather small one can actually observe almost all of them, even some quite awsome fellows in ones garden such as the blue sunbird, sorts of the  bulbul, or even the precious hudhud. This requires a rather quiet environment and some trees even though when close to the city. The climate allows even in winter to attend selfmade excursions. To enjoy the sun on ones terrace is also possible, fruit trees, cat and roses. They all need care...

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience
Most welcome

Priscilla

Hello!, If it is ur first time to work overseas especially in Arab countries (Jordan ) and if u came from a countryside of ur home country Well,I'm sure u gonna like it here bcos Amman  it's like a countryside of ur hometown. The people in Jordan still traditional and the type of everyday living like old days..must to communicate with the locals in arabic which is sounds like informal arabic language and accent. Big difference living in gulf or Dubai which is modern living,the ambience WOW and especially "NAME YOUR ENGLISH ACCENT" and arabic is just an optional only. Reminder that the real culture and traditions of Islams/Muslims where u can find and feel in KSA even arabic language sounds like very formal and understandable compared Jordanian arabic that sounds like english British "slang" accent. Talking about Jordan,to survive here must go with the flow of locals even they are "tall nose"   I hope u know what I mean.! Gulf countries and gulf people are way far different from non gulf people which is very boastful people of ME. Gulf countries /people's are kin to have luxuries in life. [Moderated] PEACE

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not generalise
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Keywords are: accept the way it goes and works here, you can't change it.
Even when you think you deal with a "modern open minded " person, always keep in mind it's only to a certain level.

Life is what you make of it, even in Jordan.

Hi Priscilla
welcome.surviving in Amman will basically depend on you and what you want or what you have come to do.
if yiu are on holiday there are many places you can visit.if you came to work then u can only have weekend to worry about.but depending on your likes.u can enjoy window shopping.there are 4 renown malls u can make it a point you visit one every weekend and by end if month you have vusired them all then can start comparing.
You dont need to have a car to do that all taxi / yellow cabs know the mall s.Most importantly you need to know the sorroundings where u live.you can identify by a circle or school or  hotel.this is because most taxi dont know english.
after knowing the surrounding then can go sight seing  on a good day and ensure u hve your passport or residence permit
It wld be better if you get a taxi you can call any time.you can get that though collegues .so you wld be assured of leaving your house any time during day.and knowing places firster.
depending on wherether you are a christuan or moslem  , you needed.  to know the place of worshi this is anotger way getting new friends.

Nanti