Tips and advice to thrive in Ecuador

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Ecuador?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Ecuador?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Would you say it is an easy process?

Of course, uprooting and moving to a Spanish-speaking country is not easy.

Thinking you can do it with 100 percent immersion -- lunch at the $2.50 almuerzo every day .. moving your home to a completely Gringo-free environment in your new city .. aspiring to speaking only your limited Spanish and avoiding English -- this would be too much for most Gringos.  They wouldn't last a year.

I recommend a balance for most folks.  Acclimate to the new environment while allowing yourself to enjoy aspects of your old one.  For instance, pro-actively stay in contact with family and old friends .. watch hometown sports or favored shows on cable or DirecTV .. attend occasional Expat-friendly functions.  All this can help an Expat maintain equilibrium when a new life calls for a collision with new experiences and a new language in a new culture.

Instead of immersion Spanish through a school or the Ecuadorian environment, I largely upgraded my Spanish the first year in Quito by watching U.S. television with Spanish subtitles on DirecTV, pausing the video to look up words in a dictionary or on wordreference.com ...  Then I applied my new learning over time in the street and the marketplace to speak Spanish to the locals.

cccmedia

It's an ongoing adjustment, and currently our main adjustment is synonymous with learning the language. As for culture, we are seasoned enough expats to know people are people but different and in Ecuador's case it's a nice culture which makes living here enjoyable. What's also helped our adjustment is maintaining the lifestyle we are accustomed to despite being in a new country. Moving to a new country is drastic enough and the last thing I want is depressed kids. We are achieving this by selection of housing, neighborhood, and also incorporating the activities we normally enjoy into our lives here.  It's a transition that is working for us, it's methodical even if there are some hiccups along the way.

This is also progressing, it's not an easy process per se but relatively speaking it's not difficult as Ecuadorians and Ecuador in general are easy to deal with, the language is also Latin based which is huge. Put it this way, this isn't Japan, with an insanely difficult language, and mainly homogeneous society. I think it's absolutely possible with time and effort to integrate and call Ecuador home. This is of course for the long term, but I also believe in “A home is where the heart is”, and in this regard we are doing quite well, but again being near fluent in the local language is essential to fully integrating into society here or anywhere for that matter.

Adapting to the country and understanding the onus is on you to fit in and not the other way around. Be positive minded, learn Spanish and interact with the people.

It has been almost 5 years since moving to Ecuador and 4 since making Cuenca my home. I am still adjusting to everything, but for me Cuenca is perfect. I like the size of the city, the Ecuadorian friends I have made. In fact I wrote a book last April that may be of interest, it is a Kindle Edition available on Amazon.com:  http://www.amazon.com/Keys-Cuenca-Ecuad … +to+cuenca

Recently arrived from Ontario Canada, I chose Tonsupa - Esmeraldas (beach town) to settle. I find it challenging coming from a large City to an "isolated"  town,  however I was prepared for it. I knew I'd be exchanging some of the commodities I was used to for a more tranquil and peaceful place by the Ocean.
Tonsupa is mostly a touristic place,  a "cottage  by the beach"  town for City folks that can afford to have a place  for the weekends where to relax. thus, no supermarkets, no malls , no traffic, no chaos.... etc. etc. , nearest town (15 min. away) is Atacames. still a small town, however, managed to find a Supermarket ( TIA) and surprisingly even a KFC.
Next large City is Esmeraldas ( 45 min. ), it's the place where I can find most of the items required to "feel at home", .... congestion, traffic, malls, pollution,.... etc. etc.... in short, it takes time to adjust, all you need is patience, and, if you feel "bored" , Quito is just 6 hr. away by bus ($10.00).

I wonder why there are so many'tips' discussions/ regarding re-locating. I for one believe everyone's experience is different. I experience Cuenca in a different way choosing to hang out more with Ecuadorians and limit my 'friendships' with expats--who are for the most part---very nice people. However, they bring a lot of their own issues here and many expect this country to treat them as if they are still in their own country. Just sayin'

I have written much of my experience and adjustment here and commented back and forth with CCCmedia many times about life here.. All is very GOOD!! But I have a question that has been bugging me about "non conforming" gringos who do like to complain alot here. First, in Cuenca where I have lived with my Colombian wife for 5 years now you generally see most all Cuencanos dressed nicely and with combed or styled hair and appear to be proud of their appearance. Why is it most all gringos dress like Alabama redneck Walmart shoppers? Old ragged tennis shoes. Faded wrinkled baggy, holy jeans for men and wrinkled faded peddle pushers for many women. Wrinkled loose frumpy blouses or t shirts many  with holes/ Hair mussed up. 3 days of no shave. Women with no make up.  Backpacks hanging down looking like bag ladies and men. In general just looking like Hobos and not caring what they look like to the local people let alone the few of us that dress nicely like we care about how we appear not just to the locals but to our mates and God forbid,,, they should look ever in a mirror. I can understand being retired and dressing casual but give me a break. I am embarrassed for these people!! You know who you are! For those many that have never been to the States, what do our hosts think?? Tell me,, would you trust a person dressed like you if you were back in "anytown" USA?? I dont think so!

Just my observation and really curious nature. Am I wrong or are those of you who care what you appear like to other people in agreement.? I am sure there are many of you guilty of this that will scold me but like I said I have been her 5 years now and read soooo many gringo bashes I can deal with it. I have a saying::: the more gringos I meet the less I like because of the "dont care" attitude. So now you have heard the rest of the question!! Good-- day!

Hi there, I guess, I am the other Canuck on this site. Came to Guayaquil in 2013, and did not really like it much after a while. Although, I lived outside the city on the Via Samborondon and had some lady friends and the Internations Meetings once a month, and I was teaching English, it was just not for me. I met a really nice Local and we hit if off rather well. After a year of dating, we moved into the mountains, and we now live in Ambato, where I have only met 2 other Canadians - and no other Ex-pats from anywhere.  I have tried in vain to get a reply from any ex-pat here in Ambato, but so far - nothing. I really like it here, and was able to rent a small house in a nice lady's backyard. Life is very affordable and that is important for us at this time, isn't it?  The weather is the best, and we have been lucky Not to get ashes from the Tungurahua volcano, in the suburb above the city where we are - not far from Ficoa. I have been teaching English, and meeting local English-teachers for the last 2 years, that my Spanish is still lousy, but I am trying and I believe, that is the main thing. People here appreciate it, when I give my "Spanglish" a good try and I often get help, when they actually do speak English well enough. I do Not expect them to adjust to me, though. I have lived in 4 other countries, and I always adjusted well. By being friendly and outgoing, I have had no problems living among the locals here. My friend, of course, has been a great help along the way and he found a good job here in Ambato. It is the best place, I have seen so far, since I have been living in Ecuador. Mainly, because it is always Spring-time here. It does not rain an awful lot either.  At my slightly advanced age, I do not need a night-life, so I am happy with the parks, the markets, the down-town and being only an hour and a half by bus away from Quito, is also an advantage. There is a nice new Mall in Ambato, even with B & R Ice-cream. I am Not a Beach person, and I love the mountains. Banos is not far from here either, and the Cascades are beautiful. I taught German for a while, but now I want to teach English and I am looking for a part-time position in a private school.  I totally agree with everyone, that We Need to adjust, learn Spanish and even if we are dressed casually, we do Not need to look like Hobos. I was able to buy some nice slacks at the LEE store, some pretty, thin-knit sweaters at ETA Fashion - affordable and I only wear sandals with wedge-heels. Looking decent is important to me.  [This is in reference to what another person mentioned about the dressing-down styles in Cuenca, LOL]  Kind regards.

Good informative post. Glad you like it here and choose to dress like a lady. I will bet your Local boyfriend dresses like a gentleman also. Apparently not many gringos choose to live further out as you have but maybe being with a Local limits the possibilities??. Cuenca has appx 2to4K gringos. Not sure because no one seems to really know. Rents are good here also as long as you dont look in the Gringo directed ads with "gringo gouge" prices. Local newspaper (although in spanish) have the real prices. Realtors here get whatever they can add to the owners monthly price. Unfortunately many gringos try to manage apts and gouge other gringos. Sad but true! same dog eat dog like back in Obama land!! Good luck and hope you continue to enjoy Ecuador.

Still adjusting after almost 2 years in Cuenca. I was lucky in finding an Ecuadorian partner very shortly after arriving here. As a result, I think my Spanish has progressed faster than had I not met her. As with most couples, you experience differences and that has been a challenge with the language. But it has contributed to me learning words and phrases I might not have had a chance to learn or at least it might have taken considerably longer. And of course her family has been very welcoming. I am just part of the family.

Other things have been more difficult. Such as getting accustomed to dogs barking and car alarms going off regularly and people playing loud music in the middle of the night and roosters crowing right next to your apartment and people rarely stopping to let you cross the road (even when there is a designated cross walk). Sometimes I think it would be better living further out of the city. But, it is possible to find places within the city where these problems are lessened.

There is a large construction project going on in the city at present: The installation of a tram system. The project is taking a long time to complete and this presents many obstacles to traffic and pedestrians. In this city they have little regard for safety when it comes to pedestrians. They have the North West section of de Las Americas blocked off right now and lanes blocked which causes the traffic to be backed up and they have provided very little assistance to pedestrians that need to get across the very busy de Las Americas. On occasion they have police there to stop the traffic for crossing pedestrians. But they are not there every day. And do you think the traffic will stop?  Nope!!!  Very occasionally there is a nice person who will stop. But that is VERY rare.

So, there are a number of things that are very difficult to deal with. I am still working on accepting these things or at least trying to manage them in some way.

I felt at home almost in the first week I was here. I immediately liked the city. I also felt very comfortable and safe walking the streets even at night and still do. But it will never be North America because you have to put up with differences if you wish to stay here. So, yes you can feel comfortable living here but it will never be what you are used to not matter how long you live here.

Be as flexible and patient as possible. It will help to reduce the frustration of dealing with some of things we are not used to. And of course keep pursuing your Spanish. As others have said you will never fully experience Ecuador without Spanish. And don't let yourself get frustrated by the seemingly lack of progress in learning the language. It takes time. It is not going to happen overnight. As I have mentioned before, I am living with an Ecuadorian woman who does not speak English and experiencing her family and friends over my almost 2 years here and I still cannot understand all the conversations that are going on. I am, of course, better than when I arrived but still not to the point I would like to be at. I can negotiate buying things and locating places. The typical day-to-day stuff. But lengthy conversations are out of my reach at this point in time. But I will get there.

MikeGB wrote:

[b]people rarely stopping to let you cross the road (even when there is a designated cross walk).

And do you think the traffic will stop?  Nope!!!  Very occasionally there is a nice person who will stop. But that is VERY rare.

I was walking along the Tomebamba today and a taxi was hauling ass by the broken bridge.  I gestured at him to slow down and he flipped me off.  I suspect one of these days I will lose my cool and get into a fight.

I wonder how many incidents of pedestrian rage there are in the city each day.

Nards Barley wrote:

I was walking along the Tomebamba today and a taxi was hauling ass by the broken bridge.  I gestured at him to slow down and he flipped me off....

Since this is a thread about advice for Ecuador, we also should mention the riders on city buses.

Twice inside six weeks, I was thrown to the floor of a bus by unsafe, in-a-hurry drivers in Quito -- both times on the J.L. Mera-Amazonas line in Mariscal sector.

The tip is that if you are moving around on a bus -- including getting onto the bus and finding a seat  -- continuously look for straps, bars and seat edges to latch onto, so you don't lose your balance.

cccmedia

Nards Barley wrote:

Surprisingly, all I have ever seen is a few hand gestures and few chosen words. So far I have not witnessed any physical acts. I guess that type of road rage has not hit Ecuador yet or maybe it is a cultural thing that prevents it.

cccmedia wrote:

Twice inside six weeks, I was thrown to the floor of a bus by unsafe, in-a-hurry drivers in Quito -- both times on the J.L. Mera-Amazonas line in Mariscal sector.
cccmedia

So far I have not had such an occurrence when riding on buses here in Cuenca. But I have heard of such incidences. Definitely not a good idea riding buses if you have a stability problem.

:)

Your experiences in Ecuador sound almost like mine. I am living with an Ecuadorian man, younger than I am, but he found a nice job here in Ambato. We found a cute little retirement home for rent, about 15 min. by car outside of Amabto on a plateau overlooking the city. It is always Spring-time here, not too much rain, not too hot and not too cold, although the nights are cool, which is nice for sleeping. Life is very affordable here.  You are the only other person here on expatdotcom, who mentioned the dog barking plague. Next door to us is a 4 story apt.bldg. and the woman, who owns the building and lives in one of the apts., has 6 dogs. There are two dogs on this property [landlady also has chickens, guinnea pigs, and rabbits as well]. There are dogs behind us and just  e v e r y w h e r e.  More dogs than people. The neighbour has a dog on the roof [4 and 5 floors up] and the other 5 dogs are in the yard. When the one on the roof spots anything that moves, he starts to bark, then the old Shepherd dog closest to our house starts with the loudest barking, I have ever heard. It is like he is in our Living room.  We have to turn our TV up, so we can hear it over the barking. I am wearing ear-plugs at night, and still hear all the dogs.  I have tried to talk to the neighbours, who speak English [20 years of living in Australia], but to no avail. My landlady and I went with a complaint letter to the Authorities [some ministerio], who sent out two people and gave the neighbour 2 weeks to make changes. She finally, took one of the Shepherds off of the roof and put it in the yard. It got worse. She also has a Pitbull, and if he ever gets out of that gate, he will rip somebody apart. They are not even allowed around here, but people do Not care about any regulations.   I am just wondering, what the point is, of having that many barking dogs, 24/7, when you do NOT hear them. I was told the woman is mental, and does not clean up on that roof-terrace. The apt. bldg. has sound-proof windows. Another neighbour advised to go to the police, and they were just ginning and chuckling, like this constant barking is funny. Told me to go back to the ministerio. Nobody cares.  I am also still struggling with Spanish, which makes it especially difficult to explain anything to anybody. My partner speaks enough English, so now we have our own version of Spanglish. LOL  He also does not seem to be bothered by the constant barking. Grew up on a Hacienda with more than 20 dogs.   I know, we have to majorly adjust to this country, and I like most of the people, really like this city, love the weather and the mountains and I am retired here.  Like you, I was accepted well by all the siblings [7] and the parents of my man. I am learning how to cook different local dishes and other than that barking, and the pollution as well as the garbage in the streets, I am rather happy here. Kind regards to you and your lady,  Amber in Ambato

AmberFenton wrote:

he starts to bark, then the old Shepherd dog closest to our house starts with the loudest barking I have ever heard. It is like he is in our Living room.  We have to turn our TV up, so we can hear it over the barking. I am wearing ear-plugs at night, and still hear all the dogs.  I have tried to talk to the neighbours, who speak English, but to no avail.

If I were in your situation, I would get soundproof windows if I thought that would work.  I would pay for them myself if necessary if I thought it would produce peace of mind.  I spent about $600 to soundproof my windows and it was a great investment.

If I didn't think that soundproofing would work, I would move.  A good view, etc. is not worth it if you have to put up with so much dog barking so much of the time.

Not everybody in Ecuador is putting up with the “plague” of dog barking.  Dogs were banned from my condo complex in Quito last year.  I rarely hear any barking from street dogs.  With my soundproof windows, when I have earplugs in to meditate or sleep, I don't ever hear barking even though my windows face Calle Oriente in Quito.

Amber's tale is a cautionary reminder to Expats to check out the noise situation at various times of day before committing to live in any rental.

cccmedia

ALWAYS TRAVEL WITH ID, TOILET PAPER, UNBRELLA, TALK QUIETLY, DONT EXPECT ANYTHING, DON'T BE IN A HURRAY EVER, SYSTEMS ARE NO WHAT THEY SEEM, NOTHING IS FAIR, YOU ARE THE VISITOR AND MINORITY, LEARN SPANISH ASAP, SIGN UP FOR EVERYTHING ASAP, BRING ALL YOUR PAPER WORK ORGINALS APOSELED RAISED.  DO NOT HAVE IT IN SPANISH BECAUSE THERE SPANISH IS DIFFERENT.  BRING A CRIMINIAL REPORT APPOSED FROM YOUR STATE BRING 2 APPOSALED RAISED SEAL FOR DRIVERS LICENSE AND CEDUAL YOU WON'T RECREAT 2 OR BRINGING EVERYTHING AN APOZALIZED IN YOUR STATE.  YOU HAVE 3 MONTHS TO DO EVERYTHING NEVER LOOSE YOUR TEMPOR AT ANY ONE OR SAY STUPID EVEN WHEN IT IS REMEMBER IT IS STUPID BUT THEY ARE CRAZY ABOUT PAPER WORK.  ITS THERE LIFE.  I HAVE LIVED HERE 4 YEARS AND 7000 LINES LATER AND 1 MILLON PCS OF PAPER YOU NEED PASSPORT, BIRTH CERTICATE, DIVORCE DOCKET PAPERS, CRIMAL RECORDS, LICENSE IF YOU HAVE ONE, DOG PAPERS, DOCTOR PAPERS ON YOUR HEALTH IF YOUR LOOKING FOR DISABILITY CARD AND OVER 65 YRS. PROOF FROM DR AND EXRAY,

WELL MY HUSBAND WAS YOUNGER THEN ME AND HE ADAPTED FAST HE HAD TO.  I TOOK 2 YRS.
I WISHED I KNEW SPANISH SO BADLY.  I WAS SICK AND HAD MEMORY LOSS SO IT MAD IT VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME AND THEY WERE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT EASY FOR ME THEY SEEMED MAD AT ME LIKE ***.  LEARN ON YOUR PHONE APP
IT IS A GOOD ONE SPANISH FREE Duolingo find it in seach do it now 2 times a day you will get  good at it.
we came because of the cost of living.  and health care.  it was a shock everything is so different nothing like America then everyone is a little mad at you.  they are not kind some nice but an attitude.  you have to adjust to this.  lIKE CHILDREN WHITH AN ATTITUDE.  We didn't visit here first which made it harder for me
everything was a shock plus I was sick.  I had to adjust and I was old it was the hardest think I ever did in my life.  Have a contact at home that is a mail forward for credit cards for you its your usa mailing address you will need this.  We pay this person for mailing us forward for envelopes and mailing expenses ect its important you will understand later.  All our money is in a bank in usa in schwab then we once a month transfer it to a bank here.  so far we are not charged for transfer.  many charge for this service we keep our money in usa because banks here are unstable loose things nice way of saying it.  problems situations then language situations. etc.  I could go and on but you have some good tips here

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : please avoid off topic generalized comment.

I'll add 1 more little advice here, which I've read about, but I'll cosign on it too. Some Ecuadorean don't know how to say "no." I am dead serious. They rather disappear before they say "no."

Hi everyone > Thank you for your contribution.

@smmr : you should please avoid caps lock on the forum.

We can now get back to the initial topic. :)

Have a nice day
Christine
Expat.com

AmberFenton wrote:

The neighbour has a dog on the roof [4 and 5 floors up] and the other 5 dogs are in the yard. When the one on the roof spots anything that moves, he starts to bark, then the old Shepherd dog closest to our house starts with the loudest barking, I have ever heard. It is like he is in our Living room.  We have to turn our TV up, so we can hear it over the barking. I am wearing ear-plugs at night, and still hear all the dogs.  I have tried to talk to the neighbors, who speak English [20 years of living in Australia], but to no avail.

There is something that might help. I have an Ecuadorian friend whom acquired a stun gun (that is what my Ecuadorian friend called it) . It doesn't stun the animal: It make a high pitched noise that they do not like. As soon as you use it the dogs will shut up and try and hide somewhere.  The one my friend found was sold by a Gringo. So it is questionable as to whether you will find such a thing here in Ecuador. But you should be able to find one on Amazon or some such site in the US.

If you can't control your neighbor maybe you can control the dogs.

That could work just fine, maybe, until a neighbor (and by extension, the neighbor's grandote nephew) discovers that you -- pointing the aparato at their property -- are what's causing the animals to run around erratically and hide.

Or subsequently has someone translate the word ‘stun-gun' into Spanish. :cool:

That's when the neighborhood will discover that there can be a difference of opinion as to whether the dogs are actually being ‘stunned.'

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:

That could work just fine, maybe, until a neighbor (and by extension, the neighbor's grandote nephew) discovers that you -- pointing the aparato at their property -- are what's causing the animals to run around erratically and hide.

Or subsequently has someone translate the word ‘stun-gun' into Spanish. :cool:

That's when the neighborhood will discover that there can be a difference of opinion as to whether the dogs are actually being ‘stunned.'

cccmedia

But clearly she has explored all possible other avenues without success. The police even laughed at her. So, this is an additional option. And even if the neighbors do discover that she is doing this, what are they going to do about it?

By the way, they probably wouldn't even know what the device was, so translating it to Spanish would not be an option.

There are more than 100 scenarios of how this could go sideways.  Here is one.

The neighbor and the overgrown nephew show up at the stunner's landlord to raise hell about the 'aparato' they saw being pointed at their property and how it made their dogs crazy. 

The landlord subsequently comes by to inspect the device and learn all about it.

The stunner insists it is a private matter and withholds self-incriminating information about the stun-gun while strongly complaining again about the dog barking problem.

The landlord is unhappy with this attitude and demands that the stunner and her companion vacate the next day.

That next day the complainant, the 'grandote' and two beefy unknown 'hombres' show up at 8 a.m.  at the apartment to make sure the move-out happens and they 'assist' by putting all personal items of the couple out on the curb.

As it happens, the multi-dog owner is the cousin of the police chief, and no 'policia' are to be found on the unscheduled "moving day."  The stunner's companion attempts to call the police, but it seems no one is available to come out and save the day.

cccmedia

My wife and I ( both seniors from Quebec Canada) came  here last year, we spent two months pack packing all around Ecuador.This year 2016, we came here to stay in Banos for three months. We have found that the people here are very receptive to Gringos. I wish we had a better handle on the Spanish language, their hasn't been any major issues, however as in any foreign language country, it would always better to be able to communicate in the language of people of the land . In most cases we have been able to find food the same as or at least similar to what we had back home.
We have noticed that cost of living here have risen , however, the increased cost is still substantially less than in North America. Prices to purchase or build a house, however have risen at a faster rate than they have in many parts of Canada or the USA. We enjoy entertainment, however,we find that most of the music seems to differ from what we were used to hearing of Spanish  Back home. There are always Gringo gathering places, as much as they are  fun to participate in, in so doing delays our language learning.
We hope to come back to visit ,as well as visit Peru and Colombia.

Stanley/the

Well, I've only been here in Cuenca for 12 days, but by using every last scrap of Spanish I could dig out of my ancient brain, I've managed to be adopted by an Ecuadorian family from whom I am renting temporary housing. I've also found a spacious apartment in an Ecuadorian neighborhood with reasonable terms. Speaking Spanish, no matter how badly you think you are expressing yourself is highly respected here. Keep at it...it gets easier the more you try.

Thank you - This has been my pet peeve here in Cuenca. This "Indiana Jones" (or Jonesette) look the majority of Gringos wear is ridiculous. The overworked and overworn dark grey and khaki clothes with safari hats... please tell us what you are in search of?

Besides the glorious colonial architecture and gracious local people I have met, one of the major reasons I love Cuenca is the weather. Finally I can breakout those cashmere sweaters and wool dress pants that have been stashed away for decades while living in India or Florida. And don't think the locals do not appreciate seeing Gringos / Tourists / Foreigners dressed with a little style. It shows a respect for their culture and for their city... Not to mention for You!

Gringos talk constantly of "fitting in" not "standing out" - where or when do you see Cuencanos dressed-up as if they just got off the set of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Clean up your act... Please.

There are many excellent posts on here.  I am also Canadian, Living with a lovely Cuenca who spoke very little English at the time I met her two years ago.  I still speak limited Spanish but due to her and her family, I am improving by leaps and bounds.  We both speak a form of Spanglish as well and use Google translate a great deal.  She also has a car and loves to show me her beloved Ecuador and it works well now that I do most of the driving.
   I fell in love with Ecuador and Cuenca in particular and am doing the best I can to adjust to car alarms, barking dogs ( I have 7 all around me plus strays) and sirens.
   I must also agree with the comments on gringo hobos and bag ladies.  I am no fashion plate but my clothes are clean and fit me (pants are getting a little tight).  I sit in restaurants on Calle Larga and watch them shuffle by.  Makes you wonder if they dressed like that back home.
   I have met several gringos who have left Cuenca after 2 or 3 years and their general complaint was that they were bored and had nothing to do.  They are the same ones that make no effort to integrate or try to learn some basic Spanish.  They only go to gringo bars and hang out with other gringos who seem to think the same way.
    Very happy to hear from a few right thinking people on here.

Thank you smmr, good advice and I down loaded that Spanish app already, I like it. Stay healthy.

chungee wrote:

Gringos talk constantly of "fitting in" not "standing out" - where or when do you see Cuencanos dressed-up as if they just got off the set of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Clean up your act... Please.

You must not get out very much. Most of the locals dress very casually which is typical of many cities I have lived in and visited in North America. I think you might be a little too fashion conscious. It might be best for you to just relax a little and enjoy life and not worry so much about criticizing others.

My typical attire is jeans with holes, a mixed-blend, solid color t-shirt, a  lightweight travel vest with many pockets, a baseball cap, and well-worn shoes.  Quite an appropriate attire for this culture, in my opinion.

P.S.
Who are wearing all those locally-made panama hats?  Not many of the locals from what I have seen; I see them wearing baseball caps.  Should expats wear panama hats if it makes them stick out like a sore thumb? I say yes.

I thought we already stuck out without trying, so might as well go all the way.  I know I will never blend in.

Hi everybody,

Please note that i have removed some inappropriate posts from this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

:top: