Tips and advice to thrive in Croatia

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Croatia?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Croatia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

2013 When I moved to Rijeka without friends,  no language skills and no place to live,  I had no trepidation.    Found a little farm house in the hills above Rijeka,  made friends instantly.   Felt at home At Once.   Joined the library,  started a book club.

then I moved to Split 15 months ago , married:   could not be more miserable.    Insulated part of Croatia,  people look inward.   Have not made a single friend.   So distressing.  And I hate relying on my husband and his company.

When in Rijeka , Italy was 45 minutes away as well as the plane to the UK and Belgium.   
Split is far from everything.

Hi Ellen~

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience in Split and...thanks for sharing.  I spent time on Korcula a few years ago as well as spending a few days in Dubrovnik.  I to put it mildly did not like the 'vibe' in Dubrovnik at all.   People were not friendly and everyone seemed very stressed.  I actually had someone who owned a restaurant making loud negative statements about Americans right next to me.    I've traveled a lot and never had that kind of rudeness anywhere in the world.   Could not wait to get out of Dubrovnik.  Then I went to Korkula.  It was better but not wildly friendly either.   If someone came to my town in California as a tourist I think their experience might be similar - people are busy with their own lives.   My sense was that if I stayed on Korkula for a year or two I would find a small circle of people.    I hope you find your 'tribe' in Split.  I'm sorry to hear this about Split but will keep it in mind....for sure.  Thank you.

I live in a village outsider of Zagreb. My wife is from Vukovar. We met due to my involvement in Humantian aid in the 90's. We still are. My advice, learn a little of the language, I can go to the village shop, embrace the local food, don't try to build a little England, say dobra an to when out. Don't try to build a little England. If possible join a local group, even if you need a translator with you.

I always greet people in their native language,  constantly smile.  But nada. I am not trying to rebuild Little England , far from it.   Visit the local food markets daily because I was trained as a chef.   But reception is always luke  warm.

Hi, me and my husband have been living here almost two years now. We bought a house in small village fifty klm from Zagreb. On our many visits over here we met and made many friends. Every one has been very helpful and welcoming. We try to speak what little Harvatski we know and understand! I think large towns in Croatia are very busy with tourists, if you are a foreigner you will be treated like a tourist. In the small places people have more time and welcome new people much more. After living in London village life in Croatia is wonderful. Sorry to hear some of you have had bad experience. I hope you find peace and comfort.

Dear Ellen,
I know exactly how you feel!  Same here.  I live in Matulji (Opatija) for now.  It is difficult.  I feel that people are a little threatened by our "happy" behaviour.  My strategy is just to be kind and understanding to everyone but also wait to find the "right" people to be able to be friends with.   I did find one person that I've become friends with.  :)  It's a start anyway.

i live in Rijeka for three years and its tourist supported so alot of people speak English.  i use as much hrvatski as i can in the supper market i think it lends me a better reception and i get the feshest bread...hahaha