Tips and advice to thrive in Costa Rica

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Costa Rica?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Costa Rica?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

#1 is to learn Spanish.
#2 is learn to have patience.

Just read this article 'Should I go or should I stay' and suggest anyone considering moving, that they read it....before making such a big decision.

I have lived in Many countries before Costa Rica AND I LEARNED the languages by Intergarating with the locals ..same in Costa Rica Those who say  "Learn the language "
I agree AFTER you move here ..
I never spoke a word of Spanish when I came here ,,,never took a lesson and within 6 months I was quite fluent ,,Now VERY fluent (after 25 years of course  )...
Do not let the fact that you do not speak Spanish prevent you from moving here ,
Some I know  have been here several  years. think they speak it LOL ...
Spanglish maybe ... but then they live in Gringo gulches.  how can they learn?
haha Come on down. smd learn here

1) Learn the language - at least start learning the basics before you come

2) Expect to run into behaviors of Ticos that you simply are not going to understand at all and will make you shake your head and say "WTF?!" or something similar. The way they drive or the way they run a business or the way they walk... stuff like that. You just have to ACCEPT it and try to adjust

3) Learn to have patience as in waiting to be waited on at a store and having to wait in one line to get something to buy and then another line to pay for it and then a 3rd line to pick it up. The rule seems to be "Why employ one person to do something when you can employ 3?" Good for the economy I suppose!

4) Appreciate and be grateful for the good aspects of Costa Rica - those reasons you decided to live here in the first place!

For me that means seeing trees and birds and animals every day. Every time I see a toucan or monkey or blue butterfly it puts a big smile on my face.

I have a Tico friend who I just love and the fact is, so many Ticos are friendly and helpful! I am so grateful for this friend! (I have other Tico friends as well but unfortunately don't see them much due to their/my location.)

I enjoy the relaxed or "tranquilo" way the Ticos live and yes #3 above is part of that.

I find that I DO much more in Costa Rica and that makes me healthier and I appreciate that! I've lost 3-4" off my waist and am almost down to my weight of say, 15 years ago. Why? Because I do more: I walk more, I do work outside, I have more time to do things other than just SIT which is what I did in the USA.

5) If you are going to be Retired here, enjoy the extra time and do things you enjoy doing that replace the routine you had before. Read, play an instrument, hang out with friends, swim, take excursions to local forests or beaches, learn Spanish, play games, do things outdoors because it's so beautiful outdoors here - especially if you live out in the boonies like we do.

I read more, I write, I take walks, I take it easy and try not to hurry so much. I do chores around our properties. Back in the USA I hated doing chores because I ALSO had to work 9  hours and commute 2 hours each day. Now I don't mind doing chores because I have time to just do them when I feel like it.

Don't sit around and drink alcohol - that's a trap some expats fall into.  I drink but just like when I worked, only a couple beers or glasses of wine, and not until after 5-6pm, when I'm done with my day and ready to relax. 

6) If you have those gringo friends in Costa Rica who are always bitching about Costa Rica and Ticos, avoid them and try not to be like them. (Sure SOME bitching is going to take place, it's fun to share similar frustrations and annoyances in a light hearted way sometimes!) But talk more about the good things and try to make Tico friends and learn how to be "tranquilo" like them. Ticos don't spend a lot of time complaining, they just accept things and focus on the good things.

kohlerias wrote:

#1 is to learn Spanish.
#2 is learn to have patience.

Just read this article 'Should I go or should I stay' and suggest anyone considering moving, that they read it....before making such a big decision.

I also endorse this article.
Fortunately most of these things in the article were things I already knew about and expected and planned for but anyone thinking of moving here or abroad to any country should think about these types of things.

And even so YOU will still find things that bother YOU about living in Costa Rica, most likely, or will at least find things you will need to adjust to. I lived here for over a year and made many trips here over 20 years before moving here. But still I am finding some things that I am having to "get used to" and challenges are still appearing to us even after almost 4 months here...

When my husband and I moved to CR 3 years ago, we fell in love with Montezuma. We were there for 6 months then had to go back to the US due to a sick family member. We will be moving back for good this June and can"t wait.

What I can tel you is this: Don't buy the products you are use to ie. "Tide" buy the CR brand it will cost a lot less than even the cheap stuff in the US.  If  you must buy your reg. brand expect to pay double than the US price.

,Next for all your daily trips--rent a quad or buy one. Most folks find the Tico roads to be quite rocky and not paved. Quads have no problem getting you over these roads.  When we were there gas was $6 a gal. the quads require very little and last longer than the cars.  There is very little traffic in Montezuma. You will see quads parked everywhere.  Just add a basket or two on the front and back and your set for the days  adventure.

I could talk on and on about laundry, groceries things to do....if you want to know more just write to *** and I will write back

Sherry O

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security
soco1951 wrote:

When my husband and I moved to CR 3 years ago, we fell in love with Montezuma. We were there for 6 months then had to go back to the US due to a sick family member. We will be moving back for good this June and can"t wait.

What I can tel you is this: Don't buy the products you are use to ie. "Tide" buy the CR brand it will cost a lot less than even the cheap stuff in the US.  If  you must buy your reg. brand expect to pay double than the US price.

,Next for all your daily trips--rent a quad or buy one. Most folks find the Tico roads to be quite rocky and not paved. Quads have no problem getting you over these roads.  When we were there gas was $6 a gal. the quads require very little and last longer than the cars.  There is very little traffic in Montezuma. You will see quads parked everywhere.  Just add a basket or two on the front and back and your set for the days  adventure.

I could talk on and on about laundry, groceries things to do....if you want to know more just write to *** and I will write back

Sherry O

What kind of quad did you buy and how much was it approximately if you don't mind saying. We are interested in one of these... but I think we can't afford one. ;-D
Also, can they go on the highway or only on back roads? How fast can they go on a smooth highway?

We rented ours $350 a month. This time I think we will buy.  They run anywhere from $2500. used to $6000. new. They get up to about 40 mph.  Quads are not allowed on highways. However most nearby towns are accessed by rocky dirt roads, a good reason to have a quad. There are always people wanting to sell their quad {those who are leaving the country or who want a newer model}.  Rent one for a day and see how it feels for you.
Sherry

An ATV that is 'legally permitted to transport 2 riders'...that means the passenger does not sit on the cargo area... vehicle can cost upwards of $20K. To go on the roads, it must pass a Ritive inspection and have lights, horn, mirrors, etc.
While some can legally travel on highways, you may need nerves of steel...especially if there is loose gravel on the road.

Important Information regarding driving on the highway

Is there a requirement that one should have a motorbike driver's licence from another country to ride an ATV?

Copied from this article
"The law allows for the holder of a B1 license to operate a vehicle not weighing more than 4,000 kilograms or motorcycles (includes mopeds) whose engine displacement is not greater than 125cc.
The article also includes the use of vehicles powered by electric motors with a maximum power output of 11 kilowatts. ATV's not exceeding 500cc are also included in the list of vehicles that can be operated with a B1.

The clarification was made by Felipe Venegas, deputy director of the Policia de Transito (Traffic Police).

Ignorance is no excuse. Venegas explains that is a driver is caught operating a motorcycle (with a B1) on a banned road, the law will apply, that is the license holder will be fined, pleading ignorance of the law will not be accepted as an excuse."

When applying for a Costa Rica license, it requires you have a separate license for motorcycles.

Suggest you read this article regarding licensing here

not in Costa Rica. We saw a beautiful one at the dealership for $5800.  You do not need a special license only a drivers license.

I beg to differ: in fact we purchased two Outlander MAX's 800cc's  a few years ago... There is a Bombardier/CanAm dealership in San Jose which sells them.

When you apply for a CR license, you do need a get B1 for autos and an A4 for motorcycles, separately

Check their website, Terra Marina

Of course there are much cheaper ATV's.

I think you will find that many things are much more expensive than you thought,

Thank you for the link "everyone should check it out" certainly food for thought!  We moved to the US from the UK sixteen years ago and even with no language barrier it was still a culture shock for my wife and kids!

I can only give people that ask me the benefit of our experience in Costa Rica.  We lived a good life on less money and found prices and laws quite liveable. Hope ya'll will like it too.

Good information. In Junquillal, I see a lot of drivers on little Vespa scooters. Do you know if you need a special license for those, and if they can go on the highway?
Thanks.

kohlerias wrote:

I beg to differ: in fact we purchased two Outlander MAX's 800cc's  a few years ago... There is a Bombardier/CanAm dealership in San Jose which sells them.

When you apply for a CR license, you do need a get B1 for autos and an A4 for motorcycles, separately,

Anyone know?  Can you get an A4 moto license the same way you can get a driver's license.  If we have a valid U.S. driver's license we can get a CR license. (...with residency.)  If there is a motorcycle endorsement on that license, will they give you an A4 license?

I ride a moto, been stopped many times, don't have the A4 and they haven't questioned it; however, I'd feel better if I could get it.