Tips and advice to thrive in Cambodia

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Cambodia?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Cambodia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Hey I wrote this relatively recently:

asianewarrivals.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/things-i-wish-i-knew-about-cambodia-before-landing/

Adam

If you are African, African-American or Asian, you must take high dosage of glutathione daily and you must apply skin whitening products on your skin as often as you can. They treat white people as gods here

My wife and I moved to Phnom Phen almost 8 months ago from Australia as self funded volunteers. It is our intention to stay here for good. Love the place and the people. Since moving here we live in an apartment near the Olympic Markets. Having spent many years doing aid work around the Pacific and PNG I learnt quickly when you are settling somewhere find out how the locals do things and that is how you do it. You are a guest in their country. Learn the language and the customs. Khmer is not easy and I am a constant source of entertainment for my teacher but if you try Khmer people are more than happy to help you out. They will also try their English on you. After doing the initial touristy stuff start being a regular at local Khmer shops, restaurants and food stalls. Become part of your neighborhood. Don't hide in gated communities or only visit westerner frequented shops and places. If you are willing to take a chance of getting it wrong 'by having a go' Khmer will correct you in a gracious manner. Don't walk around with an air of superiority. The variety of food is incredible. Give it a go. If you don't like something you don't have to try it again. Why would you want to live anywhere else?

I've lived here for 9 years. From the beginning, I've tried to fit in by not judging the country by my Western standards. I've found a lot to admire in the Cambodian people. For most, family comes first. The people are friendly and I've never felt threatened. Whatever you do, don't judge the country by the tourist areas. They tend to attract the worst elements. And try to avoid ending up in an expat ghetto. You'll miss out on the best this country has to offer.

As others have also said.....try to adapt to local living... be as open minded as possible, and don't judge by western standards.... Learning Khmer is integral.... I know very little still, but what little Khmer language skill I have is used daily and wholly appreciated by those I encounter everyday. It makes a BIG difference. Not just for survival, but for experiencing their world which you are living in.... Trying different foods makes a big difference as well. Cambodia has a strong local foodie culture. I was living alone is a small apartment above my boss when I first came here--in a local, residential area in the city....and I had no friends my age but the children in the area liked to play with me. And my older neighbors were curious and even though I could not understand a word anyone was saying, they invited me into their home and gave me dessert--something new but very tasty! Anyway, I got by happily enough, but still didn't feel at home yet. I was proud when I made my first local market purchase of 1 kilo of Mango at almost the same price as what my boss's wife paid on a different day... And of course using only Khmer.... On weekends, I made frequent trips around the city--just walking to new places to check out other local neighborhoods. So I explored as much as I could, learned as much as I could....as an outsider. This lasted about 2 months. But my experience improved 110% when I started making Khmer friends--not just friendly neighbors, or children, or people who I only saw at work--but real friends. We started going for lunch together, and then they introduced me to some of their other friends. I've found that the people there are generally curious of foreigners (obviously not all are...but many), and very inviting and want to share their own culture. They want you to try new foods, and have new experiences, and learn about their culture, history, traditions, and language. My friends loved when an experience wasn't new to me, or when something in their culture was the same as it is in my culture. They want you to see the beauty of Cambodia the way they do. And as they show you more and more of local life, you can see the beauty of Cambodia more and more. And before you know it, it feels like home. That's how it worked for me, anyway. :)

Priscilla wrote:

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Cambodia?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Cambodia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

I have lived in Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia for the past 8 years.  The Cambodians are the friendliest people.  Just understand this; they think that ALL FOREIGNERS are rich.  I frequent the Soup Dragon for breakfast in Siem Reap a few times a week and the staff know me.  I wear a t-shirt and jeans and drive a cheap Honda motorbike.  A Lexus full of Cambodians pulled up and I asked many of the staff who they thought had more money, me or them.  They all said me.  I tried to point out that they were driving a $60,000 car and I had a $1,000 bike but they insisted that because I was a foreigner that I was richer.  They will expect you to give them money and will openly treat tippers better than non tippers in a restaurant.  Just learn to accept this.

It can understand the Cambodian view about rich foreigners. Many of our Khmer friends are really shocked when we talk about the cost of living in Australia. It is true we earn a lot of money but living is very expensive in Australia. I live in a part of Phnom Penh where there aren't many tourists or even expats and find I am quite accepted by them as I am learning the language and customs.

My opinion and advice is that the more you can find ways to Accept and Allow those things that you find disliking and focus more on the things that you do Like, it will help you to take your attention on those things you find disliking.  No matter how much prep and research you do, you will always encounter something that makes living there undesirable or intolerable.  So here are 3 common sayings in America as guidelines you may choose to use:

1.  Look before you Leap...do your research to gain more knowledge of where you want to go to see if will suit you better

2.  Get out of the kitchen if its too hot......leave if it's not what you really want or like by having an exit plan

3.  Don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire......don't react to situations that would make you worse off where you are now....keep your cool to execute your next plan of action.

This is not just for Cambodia but anywhere you go in the world.  You Create your Own Reality.

hahaha...you've got that right but stay away from the whitening products they contain mercury and or chlorine both carcinogenic. it's really funny that you say that and I made that observation early on in 2012 when I first arrived in southeast Asia.  I can't tell you how many khmer people tell me you aren't American you don't have white skin! where I live in California white folks are definitely a minority and people revel in their brown and blackness so I hope that someday khmer people can be proud of their rich history and beautiful brown skin !

dude.. you don't need to put whitening products on your skin... what you gonna look like? michael jackson?? lol

but its true... white is right in cambodia...lol...  if your asking khmer to be proud of their history and brown skin?? don't hold your breath!!... 
i agree w/ you.. my personal taste is brown skin....  it amazes me what low self esteem they have..  maybe not as simple as that.... but thats how it is...

Your life in Cambodia or anywhere on Earth is more about Y-O-U than anyone or anything else. My advice.... Stay busy. Be tolerant of the shortcomings and small annoyances (like the heat,  trash and loud music at 4:30AM), or you will be miserable and miserable toward others, Khmer and Expat.
Smile first and the world smiles back.

It is helpful and convenient to learn some Khmer language (the more the better) but not all that critical unless you are considering marriage or some sort of heavy personal relationship with a Khmer; then you should speak and understand the language very well indeed. But in fact its probably better for Khmer (+ the future of Cambodia) for them to learn and use a foreign language. A lot of Expats are on a humanitarian volunteer mission to uplift the people of Cambodia; to change them....for the better....and help them from the dark ages into the 21st century globalized world.

As far as Khmer culture, traditions, religion etc goes...good luck! The depth of superstition, caste system, myth, Shamanism, family, Khmer-brand of Buddhism, dowry etc. you will never grasp. Something as strange (and silly?) as where you point your feet can profoundly affect Khmer. (Personally, I don't even want to know why.)

On the practical side its good to protect yourself at all times from the many 24/7 threats to your health and well-being. Food-poisoning (parasites), mosquitoes and the myriad of serious diseases they carry, dehydration from the heat and sun....and stay off motorbikes as much as possible, especially if you are an older person.
Above all have a good time, smile and be happy.

Its pretty much the same everywhere i go. It was a standard operating procedure make the natives hate themselves divide and conquer...hell its ingrained in our society in the states. Michael Jackson, really? Im a bit too fat for that comparison eeeee eeeee!

just try and remember your a visitor....a guest of the Kingdom.  Khmers do things very differently to what you may be used to and its very easy to critisize their many unusual behaviours.

Khmers see foreigners as walking ATM's and some will try and relieve you of your money at any opportunity.... but most wont do that fortunately. Just be aware of where you are, dont sling a purse/handbag over your shoulder if on a moto and  especially along the riverside area and especially at night as it will probably be snatched, as will your phone.

80 + % of Cambodians are very poor and live day to day, hand to mouth. Expats and visitors are seen as rich and therefore fair game. Carry only what you need. Leave passport, credit cards and jewelry at your hotel (in safe).
If you go drinking go with a friend, at least until you are familiar with the area.

How to thrive? If your here for the long haul, learning the language is a good start. Network via your embassy (some open their doors to us common folk) and become familiar with khmer customs. Maybe contact NGO's looking for volunteers via their websites or try the yellow pages in PP.

Ive been here 11 years and still feel like a visitor....

Good luck