Permanent residence certificate

What are the chances of getting a permanent residence card/certificate?.  My understanding is they are between nil and zero

PRC (Permanent Residence Card) is still a mirage for 99% expatriates  :)
So don't be greedy, just enjoy with TRC or VEC. Some of our members tried and wind up the hope!
One of our member (he is not regular here) published here that he got one because of the 'influence'!
Even though you get it, you should renew it each 3 years, same as the TRC!
I never tried and don't want to try  :cheers:

No, I,m not greedy.  I just want something to show my wife who has been to immigration for information about a TRC. She came back and said she was told that apart from the usual documentation I would have to get quote " a letter from your government that says they agree to you living permanently in VN"   Told her it made no sense to me because Australia doesn,t care where I go as long as it,s not somewhere to help terrorists. She was told it would take 4 months to process and I told her that,s not right. Then she said she was told 100% by the woman she spoke to that it was the case, and was given the relevent law that they follow to check on a VN government website. Then she hands me the application form and it said " Application Form for Permanent Residence Status" ( 05/01/2015)  I had previously explained 3 times to her what the initials TRC and VEC stood for, word by word, and she had checked by translation into Vietnamese. And she still didn,t get it right.  I,m glad I have 6 months to sort it out, haha   You confirm what I had thought about a permanent card, and I also had never considered it, as I have seen many posts here saying it was next to impossible

Of course many of us are 'eligible' to obtain the PRC, but still... don't want  :)
Many immigration 'agents' posted ad to offer TRC and VEC but I never see a PRC ad  :)  Guess why?

cabraman wrote:

No, I,m not greedy.  I just want something to show my wife who has been to immigration for information about a TRC. She came back and said she was told that apart from the usual documentation I would have to get quote " a letter from your government that says they agree to you living permanently in VN"   Told her it made no sense to me because Australia doesn,t care where I go as long as it,s not somewhere to help terrorists. She was told it would take 4 months to process and I told her that,s not right. Then she said she was told 100% by the woman she spoke to that it was the case, and was given the relevent law that they follow to check on a VN government website. Then she hands me the application form and it said " Application Form for Permanent Residence Status" ( 05/01/2015)  I had previously explained 3 times to her what the initials TRC and VEC stood for, word by word, and she had checked by translation into Vietnamese. And she still didn,t get it right.  I,m glad I have 6 months to sort it out, haha   You confirm what I had thought about a permanent card, and I also had never considered it, as I have seen many posts here saying it was next to impossible

I'm in the early process of applying for a PRC and that part had me puzzled also. I spoke to the folks at the US consulate and they give a form with this:

"The U.S. Government has no objection to his/her application for permanent residency in Vietnam. American law neither requires nor provides for the issuance of such a statement.
This statement, however, is given in the event that it may be of relevance to the Vietnamese authorities

thẻ thường trú tại Việt Nam, nơi thân nhân của họ thường tú tại Việt Nam. Chính phủ Hoa Kỳ không phản đối việc ông ấy/bà ấy nộp đơn xin thẻ thường trú tại Việt Nam.
Luật pháp Hoa Kỳ không yêu cầu cũng không cấp các văn bản như thế này. Tuy nhiên, văn bản này được cấp trong trường hợp có liên quan đến các cơ quan thẩm quyền Việt Nam."

Not a big deal I guess only a formality on the VN side. I showed the letter to immigrations in Hau Giang and they said that fulfills  the requirement. I just needed to get the seal on it and wanted to make sure that's what they were looking for before I forked over the $50.00 x 2 seals for mine and my wife's form.

Rick

How do you rate your chances?

Actually this is the whole form letter with the US consulates letter head at the top of the paper:

"To Whom It May Concern:
Kính gửi Các Cơ quan Hữu quan
The Consulate General of the United States of America wishes to confirm that Mr./Mrs.________________________________, born on _______________________, and bearing U.S. passport number _______________________, wishes to apply for a permanent resident card in Vietnam, where his/her relatives are permanently living in Vietnam. The U.S. Government has no objection to his/her application for permanent residency in Vietnam. American law neither requires nor provides for the issuance of such a statement.
This statement, however, is given in the event that it may be of relevance to the Vietnamese authorities concerned.
Tổng Lãnh Sự Quán Hợp Chủng Quốc Hoa Kỳ xin xác nhận rằng Ong/Bà_____________________, sanh ngày ____________________________, mang hộ chiếu Hoa Kỳ số_______________ muốn xin thẻ thường trú tại Việt Nam, nơi thân nhân của họ thường tú tại Việt Nam. Chính phủ Hoa Kỳ không phản đối việc ông ấy/bà ấy nộp đơn xin thẻ thường trú tại Việt Nam.
Luật pháp Hoa Kỳ không yêu cầu cũng không cấp các văn bản như thế này. Tuy nhiên, văn bản này được cấp trong trường hợp có liên quan đến các cơ quan thẩm quyền Việt Nam.
CONSULATE GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
American Citizen Services Unit
4 Le Duan Blvd, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: (84-8) 35204200 – Fax: (84-8) 35204242

Rick

Over time,I,ve read previous posts by some of the old hands like yourself who said that getting a PRC is nearly impossible. Did the government loosen the reins a little when they made the visa changes last year?

Yes they have relaxed the rules some what, but you still have a few requirements to meet that are confusing if you don't ask the right person the right question. Its not a cake walk but sure not as hard as some members have posted and a lawyer is not needed. After almost 9 years here and having a VEC  for 8 of them its just time to get something a little more stabilized.

Rick

cabraman wrote:

How do you rate your chances?

100%. My wife and I don't start a process like this in less we know we can complete it. Case in point, were about 150 on the list of less than 250 people that have been issued the pink paper for our house and land in our own name and without the 50 year requirement for renewal.

Well I,ll watch with interest :)

Budman1 wrote:

Actually this is the whole form letter with the US consulates letter head at the top of the paper:

"To Whom It May Concern:
Kính gửi Các Cơ quan Hữu quan
The Consulate General of the United States of America wishes to confirm that Mr./Mrs.________________________________, born on _______________________, and bearing U.S. passport number _______________________, wishes to apply for a permanent resident card in Vietnam, where his/her relatives are permanently living in Vietnam. The U.S. Government has no objection to his/her application for permanent residency in Vietnam. American law neither requires nor provides for the issuance of such a statement.
This statement, however, is given in the event that it may be of relevance to the Vietnamese authorities concerned.
Tổng Lãnh Sự Quán Hợp Chủng Quốc Hoa Kỳ xin xác nhận rằng Ong/Bà_____________________, sanh ngày ____________________________, mang hộ chiếu Hoa Kỳ số_______________ muốn xin thẻ thường trú tại Việt Nam, nơi thân nhân của họ thường tú tại Việt Nam. Chính phủ Hoa Kỳ không phản đối việc ông ấy/bà ấy nộp đơn xin thẻ thường trú tại Việt Nam.
Luật pháp Hoa Kỳ không yêu cầu cũng không cấp các văn bản như thế này. Tuy nhiên, văn bản này được cấp trong trường hợp có liên quan đến các cơ quan thẩm quyền Việt Nam.
CONSULATE GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
American Citizen Services Unit
4 Le Duan Blvd, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: (84-8) 35204200 – Fax: (84-8) 35204242

Rick

As a follow-up to the above the ACS folks from the Consulate were down here in Can Tho yesterday and I had both my wife's and I form notarized,  there was no charge for the seal.

Rick

As a follow-up to the above about retirement visas, I think right now the best your going to do  is the PRC. I'm now half way through the paperwork process and its really not that difficult. Doing it slowly piece by piece so when their both (my wife's and I) are submitted, they get approved and the cards issued. Don't like doing things twice. I've read the negative comments and now understand them better. Not a lot of people can qualify, but if you complete the form correctly with the required back-up/supporting documents you'll have a good start at it.   Some of the key points for approval is your longevity in Vietnam. How long have you lived here continually. Another is your fiscal ability to support yourself without being a burden to the country. Do you own the house  your living in is another question. You also have to go back to when you were 18 years old and state where you've lived and what you did up to the present time. Also education level and a few other questions about your profession. The form itself is a NA12 which is bilingual but you'll also need a NA11, (sponsor note for permanent residence status) to accompany it, that's the form that's filled out by your grantee. A short form but its not bilingual.  Maybe this is good starting information if anybody is interested in the process.
Rick

hi Budman
im here with my Vietnamese husband and we are looking to buy an apartment - lots of talk about this PINK PAPER you mentioned in an earlier post in February. Can you tell me more about it?

G