Taxi service

Does anyone have a idea on cost of a taxi from La Romana airport to Juan Dolio? And is La Romana a safe airport?

La Romana airport is very safe.  Taxi - should be about US 50 or so.  The rates are posted at the airport but always good to negotiate.

I havnt heard of any crashes, etc. for ages at that airport, so it must be retry safe.  However there is the same problem with the taxi mafias that disallow competition.  I know, I know, some of you will say that they also have such in other countries.

Does Uber work in DR. I started to use it and find it to be very good. I know a lot of main line taxi service are mounting big protests against it. It is a big threat to them. Better service, and there app is brilliant at half the cost.

They are testing Uber in Santo Domingo.  Not sure it is working out though.  The local transport union is very strong and fighting it.

Bob K

There is a huge fight over uber service in Santo Domingo and last I heard it was not operating.

For your info, here is what they are fighting against. You order a taxi through the APP. The taxi has to be a newer car and clean. You see the drivers photo and his name, also his contact number. When you order a taxi, your location is shown on a GPS map. You don't have to describe your location. You also have the option to enter your destination. Using the App, you see the drivers location and how many mins before he reaches your location. After reaching your destination you are charged by your credit card. This is setup when you register with the App. No cash involved. You get a receipt by email and a map included of your trip route. I receive the receipt within 5 mins. After your trip you rate the driver, one star up to 5. If regular taxi service could offer the same level of service, they wouldn't have to organize all these protests that are happening all over in different countries.

It's an awesome set up and the taxi unions are all upset about it. They want control not competition.

Thanks Stan!

That the taxi mafia here, (some of you use the PC term 'unions'), are just one of the reasons why the dr is really low on the lists of countries' economic freedom. Anybody know its' current ranking?

Thank you to everyone's input on taxi's. Still waiting for a answer on cost from La Romana Airport to Juan Dolio

Don't have a firm answer but as I said about us 50 honey.

thank you

I looks it up myself and the dr is 88 in ranking of economic freedoms, so is anybody surprised that Uber, or any other such disruptive things would have such a rough time?   But I'm getting the feeling that not too many people on this forum are even concerned with such things.   Does anyone know, or even care?