Introduce and One Important Question about My Salary!

Hello

My name is Emad, and I am a Software Engineer. I get a job offer from a company in Kuala Lumpur. they offer RM4500. so I am wondering about the living costs, is that enough for a normal life?

Try www.numbeo.com  for living costs

@stumpy , thank you, I will check this out, but I will appreciated if you or others that live in Kuala Lumpur tell me that RM4500 salary is a good offer for a  Software Engineer with 3 years experience? also I working as a freelancer for many years.

In that 4500, you would be paying 28% tax for the initial 6 months, so you will get 3200 in hand, your housing expense would be 500-600, living expense 1000, so u decide what you wanna do.

You must be joking. That is a low end salary. A state school senior science teacher earns 6,000 rm now. My indo cleaner earns 3,500 rm. You do the math whether that is a joke salary!

Hye Emad .U are lucky because your salary is Rm6000 permonth ... Im as a local people even have degree holder .. My salary us only RM 3000.. Same with your cleaner salary right. Im working as a structure engineer  with Private company. Local people hard to get that amount that u earn now.. So u must thankful with GOD .. U have better salary then local people.

Have a good day.

Hi Naysa, The salary is RM4500 , not RM6000, but I get the point.

Nemodot wrote:

You must be joking. That is a low end salary. A state school senior science teacher earns 6,000 rm now. My indo cleaner earns 3,500 rm. You do the math whether that is a joke salary!

Well, I don't know, I check this website : https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/kual … O13,30.htm

Which is a list of Software Engineer Salaries in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. just a few of them offer more then RM4500 monthly salary and most of them are RM4000 and even less.

Hahahah sorry ... My mistake thought rm 6000...opps...heheeh :D

Hye ,

Economy in Malaysia not good in this time ... Many local people lost their job ...because of some company want reduce their staff.. Not in good budget. For me rm 4500 u as foreigners ... Hurmmm not so good if you accept the offer.. Unless that company u work with give u accomadation like house , n transportation..

28% tax? I thought is 25%?

Local salaries for malaysians. IT salaries are low as anyone good (or doesnt want safety of a job)  is freelance. Actually same for all middle class salaries. These website stats are rubbish!

Even a diploma holder in a tuition centres earns 6k. Seen many payslips as proof. Most teachers pull in 4 to 6k above official salary in tuition. In most countries a teachers salary can be taken as the lowest acceptable salary for a professional. Even a low paid teacher earns 8k a month and good state school teachers earn over 10k (salary plus tuition) and get cheap easy mortgages and car loans. Often they invest in businesses on side as cheap loans. Basically lower middle class salary min.

Anything less than 8k is really bad but after 30% deval of currency i would say 12k a month for an Indian expat. Lots of indians earn more than 12k in IT. So fo indonesians etc. A 23 year old vietnamese girl i know got 6.5 k a month!!!!

Hi Emad,

I am working as an expat here in Malaysia. 4500 i would consider very basic but it all depends on your living standard. You can find a room for MYR 500-1000 or you can rent a whole house like me in RM 2000. food will cost you around 1000 depending on where and what you eat. Transportation could be upto rm 200 if you use LRT and cabs once in awhile. entertainment budget depends entirely on you. utilities are quite cheap other than internet that is like rm 200.

I would consider 4500 on the low side and if you are paying the taxes yourself then definitely a No. Not worth all the loneliness that you will have to go through and the difficulty you will face in starting a new life.

I would recommend at least RM 10000 if you have 3-5 years experience. if you are paying taxes yourself and housing and transportation are not provided by your company then it's not worth it.

Besides economy is real slow in Malaysia right now and lot of locals and expats have already lost their jobs so it is a bit risky if you are taking up a new job. The currency has also declined a lot so you will not that so much value for money if you intend on sending money home.

Hope it helps

Well it also depends on what kind of "experience" do you have and is it profitable to the company..

RM4500 is a standard salary for 3 years experie

a fresh graduate civil engineer could easily get RM2.5k if I work as a consultant and RM3 if i work as a contractor.. just for you to make comparison..

if ure registered under BEM (Board of Engineer Malaysia) with high values, ur salary will be higher.. :)

But i've no idea how software engineer market works ;)