Teaching English in Hanoi

Hello!

I am looking to relocate from Bali to Hanoi next month in hopes of finding a job teaching English. I have a few a questions that I have yet to find answers to so I thought I would ask you guys!

I have a bachelors degree but no TEFLA. That being said I have 4 years of experience teaching ESL in New York and references to go with it. Will I need a TEFLA certification to find a job even with experience and a degree?

If I were to get said job teaching should I be applying for a business visa? Or just a tourist visa and then get a work permit?

Another random question, where in the Hanoi area would be your ideal place to live?

Thank you in advance for any and all information provided!

Hi, Nichole. As a local person living in Hanoi for 4 years, I just wanna share something about Vietnam in general and Hanoi in particular and I hope it can partly support for your job.

Acctually, degree in Vietnam is now not really important as before. But with some jobs relating to Authority's control like teaching, they still require degree as a certain formality.

However, for a foreign teacher, it is possible to teach somewhere without degree but not long. You know, when you stay in Vietnam and earn so much money, some people in Vietnam will feel jealous (I mean they feel uncomfortable when a person from other country coming here and take higher salary than them) and one day, they will tell it to the Authority and after that, certainly, you cannot continue your job. The best way is to find realiable schools and teaching center where they appreciate ability more than formility.

And for the last question of yours about good place to live in Hanoi, I highly recommend you somewhere around Hoan Kiem Lake (or Sword Lake). :).

And many other ideal places you can live, you can check some mentioned ones here:

hellovietnamtravel.com/news/vietnam-destinations/hanoi-56.html

Hi Nichole,

I need an English teacher in Hanoi. Have you come to Vietnam? please contact me via ** to get a job as an E teacher. You are welcome!

Regards,

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : please do not share your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Peter Raffle.

Advertising not permitted on the open forum.
Place this in the business directory under handy tools at the top of this page.

Admins, feel free to take the post down if you need to. Seems to be getting spammed. I'm not sure how to do it myself or I would....

Hi Nichole, let's try to get replies to your questions ; then I will close this thread ?

All the best,

Julien

Sounds good Julien!

OK here we go...
Legally, to work as an English Teacher in Vietnam you need a TEFL Certificate and a Degree. You will also need a criminal records check from your home country dated within the last 3 months. If you have not been living in your home country for a while, one from the country of your current residency would be fine provided it covers a period of (I think) 5 years.
Your Embassy can give you any updated information.

Without those, you cannot obtain a Work Permit and/or Temporary Residency Card.

I should point out that there are a great many teachers working in Vietnam illegally on Tourist Visa's but they usually have to do the "visa run" every three months to acquire another 3 month visa. You can not convert a Tourist Visa into a Business Visa - you need to leave the country and re-apply.
There is plenty of work for teachers but there is also a large number of schools/ teaching centers willing to take advantage of "tourist" teachers.

If you are serious about teaching, I would recommend you get a TEFL qualification (one with real classroom time). CELTA seems to be the most widely acknowledged and accepted one and there is actually a school here that runs a course.