Tunisia: cheaper living for expats

Hello everyone!

If you are looking for an affordable expat destination, why not turn to Tunisia? Find more information on the cost of living in Tunisia in this article.

Located in North Africa and bordered by the Mediterranean Sea, Tunisia is very conducive to expatriation as reveals study conducted by Los Angeles media “GoBankingRates”. A total of 112 countries worldwide were assessed on the cost of living in this study, but without taking into account other issues such as politics, security, culture and climate.

Tunisia, with its population of 11 million inhabitants, thus ranks 34th among the 50 economic havens for expats. Five other African countries, namely South Africa (1st), Zambia (6th), Algeria (25th), Egypt (43rd) and Morocco also rank among the top destinations, especially for their cost of living and purchasing power, etc.

For instance, rents are 92.2% lower in Tunisia than in New York. You can hence rent a single-bedroom for an average of $ 280 per month in Tunis, the capital city. As regards food, it costs 67.1% lower than in New York while local products and services are 66% cheaper.

1st Africa? Im confused now. You mentioned 5 African countries then you list Africa as 1st. Did you possibly mean South Africa?  :)

Hi Rukaya,

My apologies. Indeed, it's South Africa.

Thanks for pointing out. I've just made necessary corrections.

Veedushi

😊south africa is definitely tops yes 💯

Living up to West standards in Tunisia is not cheap at all.  It is cheap if you want to live like a local person otherwise forget about it.

I totally agree with Braidinu!
Houses and apartments in nice areas are expensive (houses from 3500 up to 8000TND).
Food isn't cheap at all.
Good restaurants are also expensive for an allegedly cheap country - Tunisia. Most expats live in La Marsa, Gammarth and Lac1&2, and go out to neighboring restaurants and shops as it is convenient.
In my opinion, and based on my personal experience, the only cheap stuff is vegetables and shoarma. But, most people don't want to and can't live solely on those two things every day.