Information about living in Fiji

Hello,
My husband and I live in Southern California. We are seriously considering buying 1 acre of freehold land in the Coral Coast area of Viti Levu and building a small home for vacationing and full time early retirement. Our primary concerns are about safety, theft, health care and the stability of the country. We are planning a trip to Fiji in February 2011 and would love to meet some full time residents ( expats ) in the area. We visited Fiji last year but only visited two of the outter Islands for surfing. We are both 45 years old and not rich so we would not have the luxury of just flying to NZ or Aus for medical care everytime we needed it. Any information about the area and living in Fiji would be great !!! I don't want to give up our dream because of fear especially if it is not valid. We really want to be in area that is safe and the water is clean for swimming. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Please Help,
Renee

Welcome to Expat-blog, Renee

Thank you for your introduction! 

Your post has been introduced in a new discussion thread titled "Information about living in Fiji" in the Fiji forum.  This will then increase your chance to obtain more accurate responses, testimonials from members around the region!

You can also try the Fiji Expat Network page for friendship and networking.

I wish you all the best, and hope you will make lot contacts via this site.

Best Regards

no problems with safety you just need to avoid remote areas at night like most coutries. Health care is okay not brilliant but there are ample doctors with a good hostpital network. I would suggest medical cover. We live in Suva and lifes great.

Hello
Sounds similar to the situation my husband and I are. We were there two years ago.
We have looked online at properties on Koro. But have heard many good things about other places too.
Would you be moving with children? What about work?
Our kids would be in college about that time.  I have a vision of opening a library over there. Maybe build a small playground for the kids or teach some English.
Would love to hear all about your trip when you get back. How long are you staying?

Take care!
Barb
:)

Greetings from Koro.
I have been here since Oct. of 2010....not long. I do have my 3 year temporary residency. I am 58 and will be a full -timer.
I am NOT allowed to work....to make money. I could be expelled if caught. Age is a big thing. I am not a student, and the government doses not have a need for my services.
Here on Koro we do have a group health plan available. Sorry I don't have that information with me. It is pretty reasonable and does cover the hospital in Suva.

Greg

Hi Greg!
Thanks for the info. So do you own a piece of property on Koro or rent. There was a really neat place for US 105 I offered 75 but it was declined. There is a real estate agent that I have been in contact with about land prices on on the island north of Koro. So we will see. I really do not want to work for an icome when we come over and volunteer but a person does need to eat.
We could stay pretty much rent free with our island friends in the Yasawas group of islands but we din not want to wear out our welcome either. So greg where are you originally from?
bp

bp
If Koro is still an interest, you may want to revisit. I bought in June...it was a resale. But they were asking 35,000. I got it for a little less. On Mango Lane. Great water view and looking North towards Savu Savu. People are a little more desperate to sell....still, I believe.
I have just started my house.
I moved here in Oct. from Arizona. But have lived all over the PNW. SE Alaska, Washington, North Idaho, Northern CA
If you haven't already done it, check out the Koro Island Community, on Facebook. There is a lot of good information there. Although, I still have a hard time with it.

Greg.

Good for you and how exciting!

Yes I am a Facebook follower and I love the photes. I have looked at some pretty impressive homes that are for sale the the real estate listings and (Joe) Because my youngest is almost 17 I will probably take it more serious when she takes flightand ironically she is possibly looking at New Zealand to further her education. Fiji would be a great flight instead of the midwerst-USA. Idealy it would be great to have have a place already built so I will be interested in seeing your progress.
bp

Bula Surfergirl,
Hold onto your dream because Fiji is a great place to live! I've been living here with my husband for nearly 5 years. Because he works for an international Co. which supplies him with a residental work permit (which means I'm allowed to reside with him) I don't know much about permits other than a visitors one allows you to stay here up to 4 mths, though plenty of info is available on the Fiji Govt. web site. Warning - be careful of what you think you may be buying into re; Coral Coast. Friends of ours have spent the last 3 years in court because they bought into (so called residental only land at Maui Bay) and built their dream home only to find that they have been surrounded by small loud back-packer type resorts!

That aside, Fiji can be alot safer than many places in Britain, Europe, America or Australaisa as long as you respect the locals and don't take security for granted. Fresh food and water is the best available on the planet as none of it has been (GE) tampered with. Do your homework, see before you buy and you should be fine... Love to meet you both when you visit again... kiwi_expat

Thanks for the heads up!

If you and your husband (or anyone for that matter) is serious about moving, living and making a living in Fiji, there are some very simple things to consider. Many one would consider common sense, but, alas, it is not as common as one might think. This may sound like a bit of a downer, but I have seen too many people, young and old, coming here and getting terribly burned. Myself, too. Learning the hard way is what I am filing it under. But I enjoy my life here every day and have never looked back coming here.

So, things to watch out for... let's start with you, Surfergirl, wanting to buy land. That's already a big thing, since acquisition of land is not as straight forward in Fiji as in other places. For example, one acre or more already requires approval from the ministry of lands and needs to be advertised in the papers in Fijian vernacular. At least according to the law.

People will try to take advantage of you, no matter Fijian or white. I refer to newbies as "walking wallets", just as I started out. Things we consider normal or have no problem with showing in our respectve home countries are just not as normal here. Money is one thing. Money attracts the wrong crowd.

Doing business is another thing. A) the investment laws have become incredibly tough, to weed out the fly by night ones. B) again it can attract the wrong crowd. You may or may not need a local business partner. If you do, or if you choose to have one, it can become costly in many ways. I, for example, nearly lost my livelyhood because of my business- "partner", a gentleman by the name of Anand Achari. We made friends with him, got to know him (or so we thought) and went into business with him. And to the cleaners, as we realized a bit later. So it is a matter of whom to trust. Basically, if you are new in Fiji, trust bloody noone with your money. It is yours, you have worked for it, you can do what you want with it and decide on how to spend it and where.

Take your time to learn the lay of the land. Do not expect that Fiji is going to change for you, but that you chose to come here and have to adjust. This is another thing which many people I knew here could not work around and left after some years frustrated with country and people.

There is a lot more, but not really enough space. If you would like to know more, feel free to ask specific questions or even write and email.

Oh, by the way, I am living in Nadi, 10 years now. I am originally from Germany (oh noes, zee chermans again!) and by now citizen of this paradise. I met my wife here, after being a staunch bachelor, and we are having a beautiful son. I run two companies and am more than willing to help others with advise and tips.

Welcome on Expat.com justfiji ;)

What an interesting first post... :one

well, thanks... :D trying to help if I can, living here is worth it

Holy crap.....Anand....I have had a run in with him in Suva. Boy is he a fast talker. Cost me a couple thousand. and some very depressing thoughts.
I do disagree slightly with you about property. Here on Koro, at this development, there are/were blocks  that were just over an acre. Plus you can buy as many freehold properties here as you have money for. But do make sure they are legal and freehold now, and not...will be soon.

g

Hey Greg, sorry to hear that about our "mutual friend". I better talk to you in private some day what "depressing thoughts" are, exactly...

About the land, let's say we are both right. i understand that you are referring to a subdivision. Then you are 100% correct, buy as much as you like. I assumed that Surfergirl was talking about, for example, a farm or so. Then you actually have a different set of rules to follow. (hope I am not telling you stuff you already know, not wanting to be a smart alec...) One of my companies deals with this sort of stuff, treacherous on a good day. After 10 years here I am still learning...

Yes, you got my point. I was just talking about subdivisions.
I also don't mind mentioning Anand here. Since it was basically my fault/problem. I bought a used ATV quad from him, that was way more used and in worse shape than led to believe. But my container and I were in Suva ready to ship to Koro, and I was in a hurry, And bought it. And over paid for it. But like I said, I did it. He didn't force me. Just misled me. He has a new hardware/solar
business he is starting, but I won't  be using him.

Alright, let's hijack this thread.

Sorry to hear that, but as you have figured out already, that is just him. And no need to say that he didn't force you :) I have met and worked with a fair few of cons in my life, but I admit, he is real good, him and his girlfriend. And they always manage to find new victims.

Just one of many examples for people to stay clear off when considering moving to Fiji.

I am looking to move to Suva next month. I will be looking for a 2 bedroom/2 bath flat. Do you know much about that area?

justfiji wrote:

If you and your husband (or anyone for that matter) is serious about moving, living and making a living in Fiji, there are some very simple things to consider. Many one would consider common sense, but, alas, it is not as common as one might think. This may sound like a bit of a downer, but I have seen too many people, young and old, coming here and getting terribly burned. Myself, too. Learning the hard way is what I am filing it under. But I enjoy my life here every day and have never looked back coming here.

So, things to watch out for... let's start with you, Surfergirl, wanting to buy land. That's already a big thing, since acquisition of land is not as straight forward in Fiji as in other places. For example, one acre or more already requires approval from the ministry of lands and needs to be advertised in the papers in Fijian vernacular. At least according to the law.

People will try to take advantage of you, no matter Fijian or white. I refer to newbies as "walking wallets", just as I started out. Things we consider normal or have no problem with showing in our respectve home countries are just not as normal here. Money is one thing. Money attracts the wrong crowd.

Doing business is another thing. A) the investment laws have become incredibly tough, to weed out the fly by night ones. B) again it can attract the wrong crowd. You may or may not need a local business partner. If you do, or if you choose to have one, it can become costly in many ways. I, for example, nearly lost my livelyhood because of my business- "partner", a gentleman by the name of Anand Achari. We made friends with him, got to know him (or so we thought) and went into business with him. And to the cleaners, as we realized a bit later. So it is a matter of whom to trust. Basically, if you are new in Fiji, trust bloody noone with your money. It is yours, you have worked for it, you can do what you want with it and decide on how to spend it and where.

Take your time to learn the lay of the land. Do not expect that Fiji is going to change for you, but that you chose to come here and have to adjust. This is another thing which many people I knew here could not work around and left after some years frustrated with country and people.

There is a lot more, but not really enough space. If you would like to know more, feel free to ask specific questions or even write and email.

Oh, by the way, I am living in Nadi, 10 years now. I am originally from Germany (oh noes, zee chermans again!) and by now citizen of this paradise. I met my wife here, after being a staunch bachelor, and we are having a beautiful son. I run two companies and am more than willing to help others with advise and tips.

I am interested in Suva, the university and historical aspects in Fiji. If there any suggests please share. I hope to arrive very soon.