First steps to moving to Switzerland

Hi i want to live in Switzerland can you help me please if you can help me I will come and talk to you from haim Birmingham uk thank you

Hi there I'm looking to move to any part in Switzerland so if any one can help me to move there please let me know thank you from haim

Hallo haim41,
The first step towards "moving to any part in Switzerland" would be: organise a residence permit. As long as you hold an EU passport, this should be done in the following way:
- Take care that you can show that you can provide your own income. Usually, this is done by finding a job in Switzerland. The work contract will be proof of income. But other proofs (pension scheme, ample fonds on a bank account, ...) are acceptable as well. Keep in mind that Switzerland is a very expensive country to live in. A pension scheme that enables an easy life in the UK may be much too low for basic life in Switzerland.
- Find a place to live (house, flat, appartment). www.comparis.ch may be helpful.
- Provide proof of income, proof of living ("Mietvertrag", rent contract of the flat) and passport to the council administration ("Einwohnerkontrolle") of the place you're going to live. The council administration will then organise your residence permit or provide you with suitable documents so that you can organise the permit yourself at the immigration office ("Migrationsamt").
- Once you live in Switzerland, you have to organise a health insurance that covers medical treatment in Switzerland. Usually, this will be a Swiss health insurance or an (expensive) international health insurance. You need to send a copy of the health insurance documents to the council administration within three months.
If you don't have a EU passport, finding a job can be more difficult as an employer can only hire you if he can prove that he cannot find suitable candidates from Switzerland or from the EU. Moreover, immigration quotas apply - there's a maximum amount per year of people from outside the EU that are allowed to immigrate to Switzerland.

Hello everyone,

A new thread has been created from your posts on the Switzerland forum so that you may better discuss.

@ Haim, welcome, you will also get some relevant infos in the Visas for in Switzerland articles of the Switzerland Expat Guide.

All the best
Bhavna

Hi bhavna,can one migrate to Switzerland?and what are the rules.
Usha

Hi Usha,

Bhavna is from the expat.com team.

This topic is on "First steps to moving to Switzerland", i invite you to read the above posts. If you have any questions please start your own topic. ;)

Thank you.
Christine
Expat.com