THE BEST WEATHER and the fewest mosquitos

I don't know if my subject line is an oxymoron or not, but I'm wondering if there is a location in CR that has near perfect weather and few mosquitos.

Perfect Weather:  Comfortable to the point that you don't have to use heat or air conditioning.

I've been told that if you live at the beaches, you will live in A/C at all times or be miserable!

I'm just getting started investigating CR, so please be gentle regarding my wanting everything perfect; I'm just trying to zero in on the best places to settle.

Thanks in advance to all who help.

Doug

Hi Doug, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you info about the weather and advice you on best places to live in Costa Rica.

I wish you good luck,
Christine

Hi Doug -
I would start w/ the central valley (San Jose and surrounding area).  Temperature is a function of elevation - higher = cooler, and the central valley is +/- 3000 feet.
I live in San Pedro (east side of SJ), and it is usually in the 70's here.  We don't use air conditioning or heating; we have one small fan that we use sometimes.  We lived in Alajuela for a while, which is somewhat lower (less than 2000 ft) - it got into the upper 80's.
Other than elevation, you will want to see if the humidity is a problem for you - that doesn't vary a lot by elevation or location.  In the rainy season, it if often in the upper 70's; in the dry season, it is often in the 50's.
If you want beach w/o too much heat, you could try Uvita/Ojochal/Dominical on the Pacific side. It is still much hotter than the higher elevations, but has a nice breeze that cools things off.
I can recommend doing what we did - we lived in several places for several months each, then decided on a location.
take care,
Julie

Thanks Julie!  I have researched on the net and you speak the truth.  You didn't address the mosquitos, but I'm sensing that they are not a problem since no one has mentioned them yet.  Am I right?

Sounds like the 3000 foot level is the ideal to get those great temps without assisted conditioning of any kind.  I'm looking for a very simple, uncomplicated existence.

Thanks again.

ah yes, mosquitoes...
Mainly their population density is influenced by standing water.  Where we lived in Alajuela, we didn't get very many at all.  In Orosi, we saw quite a few.  Where we live now in San Pedro - right next to a small park with a stream running through it - we get one or two each week (more in the rainy season, less in dry).
We spent this past weekend at the coast, and I am now sporting over a dozen bites - some mosquitoes, some from some other blankety-blank biting bug.
I heard of someone who lives at about 5800 feet who says they have no mosquitoes.  But who knows, that could be because their standing water situation is under control.
You might also be interested in San Isidro de El General.

Thanks again Julie.

It seems that most places in the central valley qualify for this.  My goodness, on weather.com SJ looks like heaven weather-wise!

Oh, Julie, I finally got to your blog.  AH........now I'm getting it.......the phone situation........this relates to my next post about the culture shock.

You were in Silicon, eh?  I'm currently in Yosemite.

peoples' tolerance to heat, and/or humidity, varies widely

I refer to the area where I live as "wet flank territory", if perspiration from armpit to waist bothers you - you probably want to avoid the rain forest. Right now its 85F and 80%RH, never seen it below 71F and in a couple of months it will be in the 90s with humidity to match. Over 12' of rain a year here, I have a 6" rain gauge and a brief shower can fill it.

The solution is not AC, rather build where there is a breeze and without windows or screens, and a 14' ceiling. A fan is fine.

It all depends on what one is seeking.

Bill