Relocating to toronto

Hi my name is rob i live in england at the moment but would like to move my young family to canada. My instinct tells me toronto would be the best option and i am interested in finding a suitable location with nice housing and amenities nearby. Any ideas welcome thanks in advance, rob.

Whew..it's a big city and it depends on what you like.  Will you be renting or buying?  Will you have a car?  Generally being on the subway line is a plus.  Georgraphically the city is also HUGE, so you probably don't want to get too far out in the suburbs as you can really be quite far away.  What sort of price range are you looking at?  Do you have work?  What do you like in a neighbourhood and how young are your kids?  It's my home town so I will let you know what I can...

Thanks for replying, initially we were thinking of renting a place probably 3 bed as my wife is currently pregnant and we already have a 2 yr old son. To be honest we quite like the idea of somewhere a little on the quiet side but not too remote. I am currently trying to find out about work as I am a registered gas fitter and my wife works in care, the biggest problem is working out how my qualifications translate in canada. We both can drive and would look to buy a car as soon as I accept in my head the fact that cars CAN drive on the opposite side to what Im used to! Thanks so much  for replying hope I havent been too vague with this info, Rob.

Toronto is very much a city of neighbourhoods, and depending on where you want to live, if you get into a nice neighbourhood, that would be great.  There are areas that are devoid of this...mostly suburban areas with many subdivisions, and areas with a LOT of apartment blocks.  Because the city is so geographically big, I would find work, and then look for housing somewhat near that, preferably on the subway line.  Certainly you would want to live on the same side of the city as your work, in rush hour you could easily look at 45 min to an hour to get to the far side.  That isn't in January.

For now that's the best I can let you know....there would be a union of registered gas fitters which would be a good place to start to find out if your qualifications rate...I imagine you would have to take some courses as the names are probably different for some items, and the regulations are bound to vary in some way. There is both union and non union work as far as I know.

With your wife, care is general so I am not sure exactly what you mean.  Babies?  Geriatric?  people with disabilities?  Doctor, Nurse, ?????

Rob, I am posting this as it is more useful for others who may read the thread in the future if we keep the discussion on line....

Thanks for the advice, I think its difficult to appreciate the size of the city. Living in england where you can cross the country head to toe and back again in a day you become cocooned in this little place. I am just looking to find out areas where not to live and work. My wife has experience in working with adults  with learning difficulties mainly residential but sometimes as respite for family members. Once again thanks for your time and if there is anything else you think of please mail me cheers Rob.

OK, you DO NOT want to live in St James town, nor in the Jane Finch area.  They are as close as we get to nasty neighbourhoods within Toronto.  I think outer anywhere would be a drag, but I tend to think that if you live in a city, live in the city so you can get to it, either that or live properly out of the city so you get some of the benifits of living the the country, ie more space and cheaper housing.

So I would avoid outer Etobicoke, Mississauga, outer Scarborough, Outer North York...if you stay near the subway lines it is hard to go wrong, though right downtown with a children can be challenging.  If you were near the University of Toronto there would be a fair amount of green space still, though there would also be a lot of students.  Not entirely a bad thing, just sometimes noisy.

The Toronto Star carries listings of places, which can give you a feel for prices, and if you read the Toronto Star website for a while you may get a bit of a feel for the areas, and there is also the MLS real estate listings that will show some rentals and more to buy.

Does it help?

We are looking to re loacte to Toronto in the next 12 months. I am in Pharmaceuticals, and my husband is in medical equipment sales. I just wan to know if you have any contacts, and also advice on neighbourhoods, as I have 2 young children.

livzak, As for me, I think I have said all I have to say on the topic of neighbourhoods in the post above.  It is difficult to give more advice as I do not know how you like to live. 

Pharmacueticals are giant multi-nationals.  Many of them, you may be able to get transferred internally.  If not, you probably know more about the industry than I do.

Sorry, wish I could help more.

O

Many pharma companies have their head offices in Toronto (Mississauga)

Start sending out your resumes  Its a great place to live and work.

I have been to many cities in North America and I am always excited to be "Living in Toronto"

If you have any questions or specific inquiries  send a email to [email protected]

Cheers and Welcome to Canada

David Pylyp

Can I suggest that the questions and answers stay on-line here if they aren't too personal?  That way they may help other people that are looking for similar information.:)

trying to relocate with my family to canada, thinking of the new brunswick province, anybody any experience of living in this  province. fredericton, moncton or st john.

Hi! I'm livin' in Ukraine, and I'm looking about migration. What's about musicians in Canada? I have higher musical education, and what a chance to find job? Can I give a private lessons? How much it costs to rent a modest dwelling?

Try the areas around the University of Toronto Campus, tons of students will be looking to be subletting apartments for the summer and I'm sure you'd be able to get a good deal on one of those. The areas of note are The Annex, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Kensington Market. You'll have a great time in this area and it's linked to anywhere in the city via the TTC. Another suggestion I have would be The Beaches, they're more expensive, but the atmosphere is more classy around there.[Moderated]

Hi Guys and Gals,
Dont want to hijack the thread, but I have a job interview in Markham next week, if the interview goes well the guy says he will have a job for me, so we love being in the country,also my hobby is Ham Radio, so people don't like the large antenna, so we have decided an acerage property would suit us best, so can anyone suggest an area approx 1 hours drive of Markham, we have looked at Uxbridge so any info on this area would be great
Regards
Denise and Geoff, originally from Wales but working in Libya

(moderated: off topic)

Hello & Thank You everyone....the information posted here is really useful. I am a Hospitality Professional and have been operating / managing a small 20 Room Bed & Breakfast in Bangalore, India. I am in the process of immigrating to Toronto within the next 8 to 12 months (i hope). I was just wondering if it would be easy for me to get a similar job there and if i need any additional certification once im there. I do have the relevant experience but i am prepared to start at the bottom as i do realise that i will have to build Canadian Experience before i can reach a similar level as i am now. i just want to be prepared in case i need to take any additional exams before i can work there. Also in terms of Housing which would be the recommended area (not too expensive) so that i can get an idea. I am a Single Person and thus would prefer a small Studio Apartment. In terms of adjustment what do i really need to be prepared for as a Foreigner in Toronto ? Regards, Eric.

Hi !
I live in Toronto and must say it's a welcoming city to foreigners. I immigrated about 20 years ago and it's amazing how multicultural this city is.

In reference to finding a job in your preferred field of hospitality - don't think that to be a problem - considering that you are flexible and willing to start at the bottem.

I am a Broker with a major Real Estate Company, Royal LePage your Community and housing is very expensive, but the salaries are equally high. From my experience in the business you could find something downtown for $ 1,000.00/per month or a little less
if you don't want to go in a basement apartment.

Let me know if you need my help ! [Moderated:No free advert at your first post]

Regards,

Elly De Winne