Hungarian Dentists

Fluffy, I may need the no. of a decent dentist soon. Husband needs a bit of work when we return to HU.
I ad good luck at the dental school but it was slow going, husband doesn't want to wait a year to get his work finished with.
I  may PM you at some point for the number if that's ok.

Sure, no problem Marilyn. It's a private dentist though and will cost money so it's a case of seeing if it will work for you.

Sounds good, always use a private dentist, the national health ones are not all that great, at least not in our neighborhood.

Sounds like a "dentist" topic is in order here... :whistle:

romaniac wrote:

Sounds like a "dentist" topic is in order here... :whistle:

Yes, this is one of those wandering topics. 

Technologically, it's a shame that we - as contributors - cannot split a thread into two.  Same as It worked for "Hungarian idiosyncrasies".   Perhaps one of the reviewers can split this one nto "Hungarian Dentists".

that is fricken funny!

One must find the humor in everyday life or we would crack!

Hello everyone, :)

I created a new topic called "Hungarian Dentists" with your posts here. ;)

Christine wrote:

Hello everyone, :)

I created a new topic called "Hungarian Dentists" with your posts here. ;)

Thanks!

I'll kick off with two dental war stories:

a) I found myself in Sopron with my crown missing and some pain.  Went to an "emergency" dentist there who was a total "kontar" (bodger).  Fiddled in my mouth with no gloves. Eventually broke off a needle inside my tooth which ended up with the thing going bad sometime later and having to be removed.

b)  My own dentist was on holiday so I arrived at a dentist in Kelenfold.  She was a small person.  She couldn't get my tooth out despite pulling on it for a while and using a spiked screwdriver type instrument to wiggle it. She was just not strong enough even leaning on me with her entire body weight.  I had to come back.   Another appointment was made and I arrived to meet her colleague who was a big guy. With much tugging and pulling and wiggling around, he had the physical strength and weight to lean on me to finally get it out.  Lucky me but I had to wait a week for him to turn up.

I will be posting a few tales of whoa at some point about dentists .
I had some major work done 6 months back at the dental school in Budapest.
Cracked a front/side top tooth and my normal private dentist was not up for fixing it, too much trouble, she didn't have the proper equipment to do the job such as a special microscope etc.
She recommended the dental school.
Best move ever.
Took well over a full year of visits, getting dental surgery to put in a pin for support, a new bridge was made for 3 teeth on the side.
Had a wonderful student/dentist who spoke perfect English and was very sweet and charming.
Out of the dozen or so dentists I have been to over 20 some years in Hungary, she was the best of the lot.
Again it was not a fast fix but a good fix, need to spend allot of time  going to appointments.
I believe they only take the big jobs, great for practice for advanced students.

:o

Dental horror stories!!

You people are scaring me.

P.S. For what it is worth (FWIIW), my wife, after much searching, finally found a dentist in Szeged she found good. She was even disappointed by the Swiss dentists she had before. Heck of a long trip to Szeged for her, but one's teeth are important.....

That is a long way off from Budapest suppose you could have some nice Hal soup while your there.
My experience at the dental school was not bad at all, had a lady on Vaci Utca that was ok but she was always in a rush and busy no time for small detail work and she doesn't have all the heavy duty equipment. Think only a place like the dental school could afford to be fully stocked with the latest equipment and with teaching students they take the time to do it right. slow but right.
Not  sure if a National Health card is needed to go there or not, I have one and that's what they asked to see .
Have to go early in the morning and wait for a first time check up, they decide if they will take your case or not.
I do not think they do minor work such as a simple filling, they want a challenge for the students.
Had appointments once a month for over 9 months, then she took me about once or twice a month to finish up because I was going on my trip.
It was a long slow process but the work was good and the end price was not bad either,oral surgery to build up the bone under the jaw to add a pin for support then a 3 tooth bridge, took off my old crowns and just made a bridge for more support.
She even re filled a tooth my private dentist had just done, made it more solid, was a tricky filling in the back.
One crown an old one fell off and she re clued and adjusted it in the end it was just under 100,000 forints out of pocket for materials and doc fees, have to pay a doc fee but after age 62 they no longer charge that fee, for once it would of been nice to be older!
I was at a loss as to how much to tip her when the job was done. She was so nice and all the time involved, I would of liked to of paid her another 100,000 but not my call, husband is my banker.
I decided to give her about $200. of brand new Silver native American handmade items. Figured if she didn't like them she could always sell or regift them.
Every dentist I have visited in Hungary always makes comments on my teeth though.
It has been brought to my attention that I have "shovel" teeth, a trait that native Americans have, never would of known I was "different" if not for the HU dentists.
They brought students over to have a good look at my beautiful but strange teeth, not so strange in the US as no one ever said a thing to me in the past about shovel teeth.

I forgot to mention for the 100,000 forints I also had root work done on my cracked tooth and she also made a new sort of half crown to cover a top back tooth with a deep filling, just some redo work on old fillings.
In the US I probably would be walking around with missing, cracked teeth, all that work would be close to or around $20,000 in the states.
My husband is next getting some big dental work done, I loved the dental school but not sure he is willing to sit in a chair for hours and keep going back month after month.
Need to find a good dentist in or around Budapest within a couple of months.
I may try talking him into going to the school, they have the time and are willing to take it to the limits, they have all the equipment and staff to do anything.
I asked and they even do braces for children, good to know for you parents with several kids as braces for many kids is expensive.
What I have found to be  a put off of some private dentists is that they send you out to another place to get x-rays, one private dentist told me she couldn't clean my teeth because she didn't have all the tools to do so.
That also takes allot of time to run all over town going to different places for work.
The school does it all in one place, is modern inside and well staffed, the professors are right there if a student/dentist runs into any issues.
These are students ready to finish up on their schooling or dentists who are there to learn more about new technology etc.
I totally trusted them which is a rare thing after some of my horror stories with other dentists.