Did You Bring an Oximeter to the Ecuador Highlands?

On the "Essentials" thread, poster V. Simple had a variety of suggestions.  The most interesting to me is to bring an oximeter to monitor how you are adjusting to life at altitude in the highlands.  Quito is at 9350 feet above sea level, Cuenca about 8250.

As the name implies, this device measures the oxygen being used in the body.

Has anyone else used this device in Ecuador's highlands?  What was your experience?

Do you also recommend it?

cccmedia

Yes, I definitely recommend bringing an oximeter. I have mild COPD and when I visited the highlands of Ecuador I monitored my oxygen levels regularly. I was pleased to note that I adjusted rapidly to the higher altitude by combining breathing exercises with monitoring. If anyone has respiratory difficulties at lower altitudes, being able to monitor blood oxygen levels at higher altitudes can help detect problems before they become severe.

I didn't bring an oximeter with me but I bought one here from Fybeca (Jardin Mall). When I arrived I felt great the first couple of days, but afterwards I started having symptoms. I couldn't walk more than a couple of blocks without being tired. I was drained all the time and felt nauseous at night. I don't have any serious medical condition, slight asthma at times but not enough to warrant medication. My son also suffered similar symptoms but much milder. So after additional research, I decided to buy an oximeter, and lo and behold my oxygen level was less than 80, which is not good at all, such reading basically indicates that your organs are suffering, and might fail. Yikes! So I bravely went for treatment, and was administered oxygen through the nostrils until my oxygen level was consistently near 98-99%. A reading of 90% is good, with 95 being optimal.

The oximeter helped me understand what I was going through and the readings assured me I wasn't in danger of organ failure over the days and weeks afterward. I would open the windows based on the readings instead of leaving them closed at night and this helped a lot. Now, my oxygen levels are consistently between 92%-95% and I have never felt better. My very mild asthma is also not an issue here. Yes I suffered initially, and was thinking about the coast, but I'm glad I persevered because Quito has improved my stamina, and general health.

Time wise, it took me about a month to be 100% normal, but there was continuous progress which was very reassuring. Hope this info helps newcomers who suffer such an initial setback.

What type of doctor or medical facility assisted you in improving your oxygen health, V.?

cccmedia

My wife dragged me to the hospital, and I was treated in the emergency room. If I knew what I knew now I would have opted for a clinic as I heard such aliments can be treated there, and only because I hate hospitals.

So was the ER treatment sufficient to get you eventually to a desired oxygen level .. or did you need to keep going in for oxygen infusions during that month?

cccmedia

It was a onetime thing, I was also given an IV. My levels dropped from the 98-99% at the hospital, but not less than 84% thereafter but I was proactive in increasing my levels. I took it very easy, drank plenty of hydra/hydro something rehydration drinks they sell at pharmacies and supermaxi. I also would sit/walk at a park and just breathe deeply. I also went a couple of times to Scala mall in Cumbaya and just sat around because I read the elevation is 7000 feet which for people suffering from altitude sickness is a good level to descend to, but I don't think it helped much as I was too drained to be on my feet or even sit on a bench for long. The treatment at the hospital achieved in getting me out of the critical state. As I mentioned previously, it took me a month to fully recuperate, but after 2 weeks I was gradually feeling better. It's a godawful feeling, you're in a beautiful country having a good time, one day you're on the hop-on-off tour bus and couple days later experiencing awful malaise.