Moving to Malta

My name is Phillip Deane and my wife is Ann. We are English, but have lived in Ireland for 11 years. My family are hoping to move to Malta next year. My wife and I are retiring but my daughter and three children are hoping to move with us. We have been on holiday in Malta several times so we know quite a lot. What I would like to know is the value of rented accommodation, mainly town houses or possibly a farm house in the countryside, but accessible to transport. Also, my daughter would like to be not far away from schools.

Goodison wrote:

My name is Phillip Deane and my wife is Ann. We are English, but have lived in Ireland for 11 years. My family are hoping to move to Malta next year. My wife and I are retiring but my daughter and three children are hoping to move with us. We have been on holiday in Malta several times so we know quite a lot. What I would like to know is the value of rented accommodation, mainly town houses or possibly a farm house in the countryside, but accessible to transport. Also, my daughter would like to be not far away from schools.

I would try checking out Gozo as you will get a lot more for your money in terms of property.
If the children are young then the schools here are great and it is a more easy going way of life.

Ray

Hi Ray, We have been to Gozo a couple of times on day trips. I feel it is too quiet. My daughter, who has three kids, and my son will be looking for jobs. Is there plenty of work out there. Can you recommend areas for jobs and schools. My wife and I will be retiring.
Phil

Gozo is fine for retirement but not so good for those wishing to work. Most ordinary jobs would be offered to Maltese nationals first with EU citizens only considered where there is a shortage of particular skills or no locals will take the job.
The commute to Malta is not something most people would want to do on a daily basis!

Ray

Highly unlikely as most Gozitans looking for decent jobs leave Gozo as well !

Many even leave Malta  altogether -)))

Ask  yourself why certain things are cheaper in 'isolated' villages in Malta let alone Gozo. As already said if you retire with no need to work or have income from elsewhere you are free to choose your location in Malta but otherwise ..... think about it -)))

I actually try to avoid all trips to Gozo as it is the island of illegal hunting and trapping and had a massive vote in favour of Spring hunting last year.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Ask  yourself why certain things are cheaper in 'isolated' villages in Malta let alone Gozo. As already said if you retire with no need to work or have income from elsewhere you are free to choose your location in Malta but otherwise ..... think about it -)))

I actually try to avoid all trips to Gozo as it is the island of illegal hunting and trapping and had a massive vote in favour of Spring hunting last year.

Cheers
Ricky

So all the hunting is legal in Malta then.

ricky wrote:

Cheers
Ricky

There were actually 2 areas in Malta with a higher % in favour of Spring Hunting than in Gozo!

Although I am retiring, my son is a qualified fitness instructor and my daughter is a Special Needs Assistant, although they will turn their hand to anything that is possible
Phil

Hello and congratulations on the impending move!

Regarding best value for rental accomodation a few points to take into consideration.

1. Childrens schools and whether they will want to go private or to a state school. Location wise this may involve some travelling so transport is necassary. Some of the schools lay on buses to het the children back and forth to some part of the island.  The most popoular schools seem to be around the central areas , pembroke e.tc whoch in locality terms is close to St Julians where the rents tend to be the highest.  aif you live in the north or south of the island rents can be quite a bit lower but then they are not the most popular because of the distance to schools. There are soem good schools in Mellieha and St pauls Bay falls into those catchement areas.

2. For Familys moving to touristy locations such as Qwara, Buggiba , Sliema and St Julians are not the wisest of choice for families in my opinion but are great for beaches.

3. Depending on budget of course and size of property whether it needs to be modern e.t.c Types of property will reflect in price as will location.  Salaries in general are between 800- 1000 pm but of course rentals have shot up in price last year as the tourist trade boomed and more companies opened for business here. So if its two of you working, thats not so bad if you rent arou d the same budget but if its one of you only working it can be tough.

4. You will be expected to cover the cost of utilities and there si no gas company, tv licence or council tax ro worry about here. However, food prices have shot op over the last year so its wise to shop around. There is not much competition in utilities so your kind of lumbered with thwir pricing structures too.

5. Bare in mind agents are not regulated here nor is there any protection for Tenants, they have very little rights. Finding a good agent and good landlords takes some shopping around.  I would suggest you all have a reccie visit and discuss your relocation needs with a person that can advise. There are a few companies that can do this with you. If you pm me I can send you some recommendations.

6. Regarding thw work they may wish to do, there are gyms here and are few and far between so again do you want to work , live and be close to schools or are you prepared to travel into work.  To work outside Gyms , hotels , spas as an instructor , such as rinning classes on a beach your required ro have a permit to operate.  The pay structure in the care system is lowly paid and when working in the hospitality or care industry your will need the following:
Scottish disclosure check  ( apply in Uk )
A certificate from the police HQ at Floriana
A doctors certificate normally costs 10-20 euro ( you can walk into a doctors office to do this or just go with a reccomendation from someone)
Your Id / passport
References
A ETC letter to say you havent worked in the country up to the point of your application so you will need to register.  ( attend your local ETC office)
Your social security number ( you can do this online)
Registration for tax number ( attend the IR at Floriana)

Hi there, this is really good  information. My wife and I are retiring, but my daughter with three young kids and my son will be looking for a job. So we have a lot to weigh up for our different needs. Personally, I would like to live out of the tourist areas in a nice quiet village setting, but I know we can't have everything. Any more info you may find out it will much appreciated.
Phil