Essentials to live in Ukraine

Hi,

As an expat living in Ukraine, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Ukraine? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Ukraine.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

There are very few things that you can't buy cheaper in Ukraine than elsewhere but in Zaporozhye the things I miss are mostly food related like a decent plate of English fish & chips, pork pies, steak & kidney pud, mince pies & a decent fruit cake (this sponge stuff get tiresome).

Unfortunately not suitcase items so not much help I'm afraid, sorry.

But if you don't speak Russian or Ukrainian you'll find the translator app on your mobile invaluable, likewise my Satnav which I always carry with me when walking or driving in unfamiliar areas – it's easy to lose your sense of direction when walking in some of the huge markets!

If coming from the United States, buy clothes there. For example Levis 501 jeans are at least 50% cheaper in America. Don't come to Ukraine expecting to shop for inexpensive quality clothes.
Bring some as gifts for friends if you know their size.....they'll really appreciate it!

Yeah there are a few English foods I sometimes miss, But only rarely and there is nothing you can do about those.
Everything you NEED is here though not everything you want or feel like.
The only thing I would advise is check to find out the availability of any medication you are on. Getting most medication is as simple as going to the Apteka and asking, but not all medicines are available in the dose you want.
So come prepared and start your local search early.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  This is coming from a vegetarian (who misses his textured soy protein), and who has several medications that I take on a daily basis which I have never been unable to find in a local аптека for a significantly lower price and without the nonsense of having to procure a written prescription.

Bring any technology you can. TVs, laptops, etc. cost 2x-3x more in Ukraine due to the corruption.

They sell tofu at the Gulliver mall supermarket...

Medications can be a problem.   Many are available without prescription.    I have found some not available at all and impossible to ship from a US pharmacy into Ukraine.    Doctors at American Medical Center very helpful obtaining equivalents or substitutes.
Market in level 0 at Gulliver in Kyiv very good variety of foods.

i have heard that food is very expensive in ukraine, is it right ?

Food is inexpensive.   Unless you are buying in Kyiv.   Then anything goes.   Now I am speaking as an American.   But at my location outside of Kyiv, I know that prices are much lower here.
Of course buying in a bazaar is much less expensive than stores (especially Gulliver).
Restaurants are all over the place.   Again, Kyiv is expensive.   But outside Kyiv, good restaurants are very inexpensive.   Meals that would cost me $50 in USA typical town, cost $27 here.
Food is inexpensive in Ukraine, but what is your frame of reference.

It all depends upon where you go to buy and to eat.

Clothes & Shoes!!! Everything else you can find with no problem even food. If you want food from the States go to Mega Market or an upscale Silpo, Or the Super Market in Dream Town 2 but be prepared to pay!!