Essentials to live in Morocco

Hi,

As an expat living in Morocco, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Morocco? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Morocco.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hello.
I guess you find everything you would like to have here, it will depend only in which town you will be ! for example in Casablanca you will find all all !
Waiting for members if they would add something ;)
Best regards.

I would recommend electronic attachments. Plug converters and lots of them because they break easily or get left behind in hotels. You can never have too many around the house either. Also, good quality surge protector for your laptop. I also brought a good quality battery pack for my iPhone that I use every single day.

Bring as much as you can. While you find most of things here, the prices are very expensive. If you are coming back to settle down for long period do yourself a favour by saving a lot of money from getting all the things from your country or europe

Where are you coming from Blusky?

From europe and living for more then 1 year in Morocco. I am sure you are surprised now but don't. ..Morocco is more expensive then Europe in many things...why? Because you import many things except sardines and tomatoes :)

I'm coming from Toronto Canada. I find things are generally less expensive or the same. And I'm mostly surprised when I find things the same. It happens less often.
We are a country and city of very higher taxes however.

Hello,
About Goods that Morocco import it is so nomal that the price is high !!
About other products It is so less expensive than europe no way to compare... !
Best regards.

You can find almost everything in Marrakech also. adapters of course. They are essential as most hotels and riads do not have spares.
Most importantly, after having a man put his hand in my bad the other day, definitely a good bag you can wear over your midriff or chest. And keep it in front of you at all times in the medina and souks.  Luckily, I had only paperwork in the pocket he tried to get into.  Cheers.

Marrakech is an amazing and very safe place to live.

Any electronics (phones/computers).  Textiles like towels and bedding are oddly expensive.  Any food that you particularly crave.  I miss Ranch dressing and sharp cheddar cheese (sigh).  Everything else is pretty much readily available and reasonably priced. Oh and measuring cups/teaspoons/tablespoons!  I scoured the stores for months trying to find some.

I can't find a decent, sharp kitchen knife

I am from the us and I find computers exspsive.. if you take any supplements . I would take a year supply or the length your staying .. why? because they may or may not have it and you may or may not able to get it shipped to you . so best to have it in hand till you figure that out. the same with medications. they have them here but there has been some instances where morocco doesn't carry some medications . like b12 shots or a person was looking for a anti seizure medication.. most insurances will give 6 months supply .

oh computers are exspsive like the i5 and i7 of later models cost the same as newer models in the states. also the keyboard is diffrent . I was told computers was cheap her. so I didn't buy one. I wish I would have ..

Electronic gadgets are very expensive. Also you need to be aware that the voltage in Morocco is twice as high as in the US, be sure to bring a converter if you plan on bringing DVD players, TV sets or big electronic items. You won't need a converter for your Smartphones, tablets or laptops since these ones come with their own adapters.. Most of the sportswear (Nike, Adidas, under armor..) is knock off and of low end quality

Things hard to find/ not common:
Anti bac hand gel, antibac wipes, money belts, small padlocks for everything ( for visitors & extended family LOL), butter, marmite, peanut butter, good quality kids toys, good quality branded clothes & electronic stuff- warning: lots of cheaper chinese tat available
You can find a lot of things in big stores like Marjan....but the prices for them you could be in Harrods..

We are planning to take all our electronics by car - will we have problems at the port of entry? What paperwork should we bring? Things like 2 x iMac, 2 x Macbooks, 2 x ipads, a small printer, large TV, DVD, 2 x Cameras - all the stuff you do not want to ship in a container...any thoughts of problems we might have - will we be charged import tax?

All advice welcomed!

As far as I know if you bring essential staff for personal use you will not be charged any custom unless you bring your car ..however I hope someone can clarify more and better then me

Moroccan Customs will not charge you any taxes or fees if the goods you are bringing in are for personal use and are in limited quantity per item. if you are coming from Europe, be aware of the voltage and the frequency difference between Morocco and Europe. Voltage in Morocco is 220 V, so big electronics gadgets will need a voltage converter.

PrettyKamel wrote:

I'm coming from Toronto Canada. I find things are generally less expensive or the same. And I'm mostly surprised when I find things the same. It happens less often.
We are a country and city of very higher taxes however.

I agree coming from montreal

Good to know I would have never thought of that, measuring cups lol

I read an article about retrieving your shipment containers when arriving in  Morocco.. to apply for your Residency card First  -  before picking up your container(s) as then you will not be charged  taxes/fees.  Just an FYI to save some money.
For Women, purchase extra bras - the ones found  in Morocco are ill fitting and sub-quality.  Was always asked to purchase ones for friends and family.   
Good to know about the odds and ends.. will make a list! Thanks to  everyone who contributed!
Question? Should I bring my Medium size TV & DVD player to Morocco??? With adapters and surge protectors of course.