Essentials to live in Mexico

Hi mexicogic,

Although Gran Padano is Italian, it is not Parmigiano Reggiano. The dots on the rind tells you what they are. There are numerous cases of faking cheese all over the world. Parmigiano Reggiano  is best obtained in Parma it's self. A famous cheese expert nailed a very famous NY Italian restaurant that gave her Gran Padano claiming it was Parmigiano Reggiano. So be very alert.

Okay, back to the topic.

I'm not sure this is essential, but it's an item of curiosity for me and I'd appreciate definitive information if anyone has it.

In my 8+ years here, I haven't seen fresh eggs sold out of refrigerated cases.  Bulk eggs are delivered in 30 dozen crates to "outlets" which, in turn, sell to individuals, restaurants and "tienditas."  No refrigeration anywhere.

The owner of my local tiendita gets a weekly delivery of whatever fraction of a case he thinks he can sell during the week including leftovers from the previous week.  Of course, the two local supermarkets sell eggs packaged in half-dozen, dozen, dozen and a half and 3 dozen packages.  Chedraui has 3 or 4 brands.  San Juan eggs are each stamped with a date code indicating the date it was packed.  the last time I bought eggs, the sell by date was one month after the packed date.  assuming no refrigeration anywhere along the line, is one month reasonable?

The US is one of the few countries that wash eggs before packaging them. This washing is meant to prevent salmonella and other infections caused by eating or handling raw eggs. It also removes a protective coating on the egg that prevents spoilage. With the coating refrigeration is not needed. Without, the egg will spoil if not refrigerated.

joaquinx wrote:

The US is one of the few countries that wash eggs before packaging them. This washing is meant to prevent salmonella and other infections caused by eating or handling raw eggs. It also removes a protective coating on the egg that prevents spoilage. With the coating refrigeration is not needed. Without, the egg will spoil if not refrigerated.

Thanks.

joaquinx wrote:

You are absolutely correct Joaquinx. Add to that the fact that the yolks are dark orange . That tells you something about the food, and the exposure to sun. Something very positive.
The U.S feels they have to prevent chickens from sunlight and feed them what ever, plus antibiotics and hormones. The bottom line is that eggs in Mexico are safer and healthier.

If you do not put U.S eggs immediately in the frig they will quickly rot. Even in the frig after a week or so they will rot. Eggs here, are on the shelf and last quite awhile. I tend to put them in the frig to extend that life and have had them 2-3 weeks without a problem.

The whites seem more watery than US eggs and, depending on brand, shells may be paper thin.

Flatter yolks and watery whites are an indication of older eggs. In new eggs, the yolks are higher and the whites are not watery. I don't understand this shell thing, because sometimes from the same producer they are thin and sometimes like iron.

Whew! Thanks. I almost took a flight to the UK to find Liverpool.
I appreciate knowing there's another form of Liverpool in Mexico, and that it carries quality items.
Does Puerto Vallarta have a Liverpool?

~ Skye

https://www.liverpool.com.mx/tienda/browse/store.jsp

Joaquinx  is correct that the age of the eggs may be a factor .

As for the shells, Chickens need access to oyster shells to provide what they need to make harder shells. I'm guessing from several things that you have said that your local supplier is cutting a few too many corners. Runny whites can also mean an older bird.

You might want to try a different supplier.

SKYEMOODY

http://www.shopping-mexico.com/stores/liverpool

I have already changes brands with better results, thanks.

Gracias.

De nada  :cool:

Not to worry ...you can just about everything you need depending on where you plan on living. Mexico is very layed back,so just come and enjoy!
Dont forget that this is a 3rd world country.
Come and  respect their customs......

Hi Rosalyn,

If you plan on staying you might want to remember this.

"The concept of first, second and third world is outdated and a relic of the cold war. The first world was US & its allies, second world was USSR & its communist allies and third world was neutral, non-aligned nations. ... Yes, India is a third world country, and so is Sweden, Switzerland, Ireland, etc."

It will just make things go smoother for you. I love Cancun , but it is a tourist city so it's less authentic  Mexican in it's life style. Just enjoy the people and their culture.

And the USA is becoming a 3rd world one.

X

Rosalyn, Mexico has a pretty sophisticated infrastructure, a complex society and access to modern technology at all economic levels even though there are extremes that it is working to eliminate in its own way.  It certainly doesn't fit the stereotype that the label evokes in the minds of many.  People who know, love or accept the rich culture away from the expat colonies and tourist meccas tend to get offended by the third world label.

Hi ;
I have lived in Mexico since 99....and know the culture to some extent!
As for a 3rd world: whatever you say...depends how you look at it but remember,
Mexico is not the US: it has its own personality and ways of thinking ...
Have you read * The Culture Map*?----Check it out!

Of course it's not the US.  Most of us are here, I think, because we want a culture and a way of life different from the US.

Rosalyn Dumont wrote:

Hi ;
I have lived in Mexico since 99....and know the culture to some extent!
As for a 3rd world: whatever you say...depends how you look at it but remember,
Mexico is not the US: it has its own personality and ways of thinking ...
Have you read * The Culture Map*?----Check it out!

The thing is Rosalyn,
neither Cancun, or Veracruz are the heart of the country. It;s the villages not the tourist spots.
People here do not really care to be referred to as "3rd world". To use that lesser than term, is not only dated, but insulting. Because it has gained a reputation of meaning not as good in many minds, especially minds that do not know where the term originated.

I know you mean well, but it is an expression you would be better off eliminating.

Mexcio is definately not a 3rd World country. It is a NIC or newly industrialized country.

alleycat1 wrote:

Mexcio is definately not a 3rd World country. It is a NIC or newly industrialized country.

Exactly. :)

Is it possible to mail order prescriptions from Canada, etc.... Any additional charges?

jake716 wrote:

Is it possible to mail order prescriptions from Canada, etc.... Any additional charges?

As far as I know, it is illegal to send prescription medicines from other countries to Mexico.  There are ways that are almost guaranteed.  It might be more expensive than makes sense.

First, you should find out if the meds are available in Mexico and what their cost is.  Then find out if your supplier in Canada will be able to send them through an international carrier and how much your total cost will be.  That will give you one point of comparison.

I have a couple of prescriptions that are not available in Mexico and usually bring back a 3-month supply with me when I go to the US.  There have been times when it was not possible for me to go to the states.  I do have a private mailbox place in Texas and for a fee will send my meds by the Mexican express company Estafeta.  Cost has been between $60 and $80.  That's only a bit more than a roundtrip bus ticket.  I've done that three or 4 times in the last 8 years.  Generally, my quarterly trips to Texas are for reasons other than picking up the mail, so it's convenient for me to bring back a 3-month supply of nine prescriptions.  I have never been challenged or even questioned and Estafeta has never lost a shipment.

The meds I buy down here are effective and even though a prescription is required in the US it is not down here.  My doctors are satisfied that they are as effective as those from the US.

I don't know enough about Canada to be more definite.  Good luck.

They are very fussy about medications and even anything that could be medication. My daughter sent me some denture cleaner because I can no longer get it here. No I don't have dentures, but it is one of the best jewelry cleaners  I have found.

What they said is I would need a prescription. I explained it was not a drug, but they stuck to their position. Perhaps if you had a prescription from a doctor here it would help.

travellight wrote:

They are very fussy about medications and even anything that could be medication. My daughter sent me some denture cleaner because I can no longer get it here. No I don't have dentures, but it is one of the best jewelry cleaners  I have found.

What they said is I would need a prescription. I explained it was not a drug, but they stuck to their position. Perhaps if you had a prescription from a doctor here it would help.

Who is the they?  And where?

The they was the aduana, the where was Merida, Package arrived via air, and the aduana refused to release it. It wasn't even  drugs, but they wanted a prescription.  I said that was like wanting a prescription for toothpaste.

travellight wrote:

The they was the aduana, the where was Merida, Package arrived via air, and the aduana refused to release it. It wasn't even  drugs, but they wanted a prescription.  I said that was like wanting a prescription for toothpaste.

Wow!  Just the luck of the draw, I guess.  As we know, policies can vary from one location to another, arbitrarily.  Merida is big enough that English is spoken.

gudgrief wrote:
travellight wrote:

Wow!  Just the luck of the draw, I guess.  As we know, policies can vary from one location to another, arbitrarily.  Merida is big enough that English is spoken.

I don't know if he spoke English or not. I do know he understood me, and I understood him, I drove down there with a friend to deal with the issue personally. There were other things in the package I wanted.
The aduana didn't know what dental cleaner was, and wasn't willing to trust my  explanation. So we agreed I could have everything but, and I would sign a release saying they could destroy the dangerous dental cleaner. Carbonated water seems to help with jewelry cleaning so life goes on.

who knew they don't have jewelry cleaner, or that jewelry stores don't do jewelry repairs. ( you have to ask around to find someone who does. Same is true of tailors. Stores don't alter your clothes.)

Just one of those amusing Mexican adventures. Well, funny now, and definitely after I got the package minus the dangerous cleaner.

Bicarbonate of Soda also works.  There are still hidden stonewalls you run into randomly.

Yeah, it's the silver issue of course. Turns black in a flash. Everything metal, especially silver needs constant attention. The rust or tarnish rate is amazing.

Oil (wd40) all of the locks about once a month. use anti humidity packets , and still it goes on. Just dropping jewelry in cleaner was so easy, then there was none, so dental cleaner was okay, then there was none. now its foil, baking soda and carbonated water, and yet it's still not silver really. :unsure

Wow! It has been hot here and humid  82 feels like 95.  But nothing like there.  The only metal that IO have for show is brass and that doesn't tarnish that fast.  Silver?  I haven't looked at it in years.  Maybe I should see if it's worth selling, what little I inherited .

gudgrief wrote:

Wow! It has been hot here and humid  82 feels like 95.  But nothing like there.  The only metal that IO have for show is brass and that doesn't tarnish that fast.  Silver?  I haven't looked at it in years.  Maybe I should see if it's worth selling, what little I inherited .

Actually it doesn't seem that humid at all, not like places in NOLA or other parts of the U.S. south. The silver, is silver I picked up here and in Peru, Just chains. I have some sterling pieces that are fine.  I'm cautious with the doors because I have ignored them and found the key wasn't turning in the lock too well.  Nothing like standing outside and having trouble getting in, to ramp up your lock oiling

There is a constant breeze here which can make you under estimate how hot it is outside. We are in the hot period of the year so 32-40 isn't unusual on some days. It was 100- 102 yesterday. Just have fans on and it's pretty tolerable.
I stay away from Merida this time of year, because they do not have the ocean breezes and it can get much hotter.