Essentials to live in Mauritius

Hi,

As an expat living in Mauritius, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Mauritius? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Mauritius.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Apart from personal preferences, the answer to this might depend upon your nationality and home country.  For me there are 7 things:-
decent milk
double cream or clotted cream
decafinated tea
Green & Black's dark chocolate
Ambi pur 3 volution diffuser
blue or navy mascara
ladies underwear
Unfortunately it isn't possible to bring the first two

Milk was always a big bug bear of mine but I discovered the new pasteurised fresh milk in Super U  and Intermart - Mia Milk.
Its as good as the stuff we get in the UK. It's sold in plastic bottles with a picture of a cartoon cow on the front and comes in full cream and half cream. I detest the UHT milk we used to buy.
I miss a lot of the cook chill ready meals we have in M&S and Sainsbury etc.
We have limited ones here but not much choice and quite expensive IMO.

I find it complicated to buy good shoes, and I often bring back the electronic gadgets and video games, which are super expensive here

1. Shoes (both formal and informal). Even though if you find a descent one, its over priced and of cheap quality.

2. Electronics.

3. Sun glass (Overpriced)

4. Medical consultancy (Treatment, Doctor visit is expensive)

5. Ethnic wear (Applies to Indian expat) , Expensive and poor quality.

6. New Car ( Import duty is 150% which make them very expensive)

I used to bring lots of stuff from the UK. It also depends on your age. As you get older electronic gadgets will probably the least on the list. I would say that you get a set of non stick pots and pans,cutleries. Essential personal cream,fragrances, sun glasses.  Shoes, sandals, shorts, jogging suits.  Humidity is very high here and it is worth considering that if you bring coffee and other stuff to store in the fridge. Beadvise also to keep your pulses and spices in the fridge.
Most stuff are available at the big supermarkets. At  the end of the day it is all of to the individuals in adjusting to the new homeland.
Best wishes
Vedan

These are the items I miss from the Uk.

oxo cubes
Tea: pg tips, Yorkshire, tettly.
Just for Men (hair dye)
English mustad
Tobacco / papers

Your own brand of meds

Also a friend tells me nappies are expensive.

I'm sure I will come across other items I cannot locate during my 3yr wonderful stay in Mauritius :-)

It is a personal choice matter, my husband and I were nearly relocated to Rwanda instead of Mauritius, so I always feel a bit lucky when I am in the supermarket or shopping mall here, especially when you see such comforts as HP sauce! However, my list whenever I return to the UK is:

Hellman's mayonnaise
Any unique health food products you like
Pampers nappies - the ones they sell here are about 15 years old and genuinely inferior.
Get a good haircut / colour before coming!
Specialty kitchen gadgets
Spices not related to indian cooking
Shoes, especially kids shoes if you're concerned about quality
Play dough
English books, especially if your preferences are not on the best seller list.
Quality pillows