Essentials to live in Malawi

Hi,

As an expat living in Malawi, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Malawi? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Malawi.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

hey christine i am Amalawian coming living here

@umodzi

Welcome to the forum.

Christine is an administrator on this forum and has posted this thread so that members can supply answers to the questions she has asked on her post

Do you have any information you can post here.? The subject is essentials to live in Malawi so need information about this

Hi Christine, don't know if you will see this, but you should take warm clothes like body warmer as it gets very cold at night sometimes during the year. The other thing you will find extremely useful is a decent Swiss army knife with all the tools, very useful. Make sure your bank cards have been renewed so don't expire, and not all of the banks that advertise visa accept visa! Oh and always carry a toilet roll with you...most toilets don't have them..... Roy

Oh and don't just rely on your injections to protect you from malaria, always use your net! I was taking doxycycline and still got malaria.....it's not nice....

Hi Roy,

Is it quite easy to catch Malaria in Lilongwe?

Hi there, yes is the short answer despite anti malarial tablets. The worst part is the headache, it can be really bad. I would suggest you take your own net, some nets there have missed inside the nets! Great to talk to you...Roy

Yes especially depends on person anyway,But if you feeling dizzy,fever or throwing up,please go to any clinic near by,if you have 4 plus malaria whic is just dangerous as death,i know I haven't say much goo about it but its just the truth

Bye
Regards
Celal

Thank you for the tips!

I will be sure to arrange whatever necessary so this doesn't happen.

I didn't realise it was this easy to catch!

Mel