Essentials to live in India

Hi,

As an expat living in India, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in India? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to India.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Lots and lots and lots of alcohol!

Also, anything you can add to meat to add flavour - stock cubes, Worcester sauce, sauce mixes etc. Difficult to get and can be expensive.

Men's anti-perspirent. Cannot get here at all. Women's you can but it is whitening!

Tampons, a real challenge to get.

Big bin bags!

Lime scale remover. Can get here but not very effective.

Dishwasher tablets - the good stuff here is very expensive!

Cling film and Tin foil - can get easily but quality isn't great.

Baking paper - I haven't seen it anywhere.

Pint glasses!

Agustuoras (sp) bitters.

Nespresso tablets.

Bbq - can get but expensive.

Dried yeast if you like to make bread.

Compare prices of air purifiers.

Oh there are so so many!

Hi Christine,

Which state in India are you planning to visit and for how long will you be staying there, some states in India you will find many things and in some you don't find any.

Faiyaz.

Hhhh u make me laugh
Am from Morocco the Mediterranean country and I can tell that everything u want u can find in india and one more thing the purchase online is helping so much now, can u imagine I find couscous, zaatar,pure olive oil,tagine , and manythings
Some kind of fruits u can not find in some states but existed in athers.
Incredible India everything u want u can find

So very true.  There are a few things however you can buy on line.

Hi IIham,

Have you travelled to all states in India, I doubt.  There are some backward states to which online businesses do not provide delivery.

Regards,
Faiyaz.

Actually am living in bangalore karnataka state so I don't have any problem to find products I want, here we have a big supermarket nd as I said products online is helping more like bigbasket
Naturebasket
Amazon
And many with acceptable prices,  delivery conditions nd the best u can pay  cash on delivery.
I brought Arabian caftan from one site nd received the parcel from Chennai. Cash on delivery too
U need to search that's the key 🔑
Gud luck
حظ سعيد
في الهند بلد العجائب
😉😊

Strange question!!!!  How can I travel to all India states!!! Am I ibn batouta!!!!😊😊😊😊
As expat u always will hv a work in a big cities as new Delhi, Mumbai، bangalore, Chennai ....
So no issues there, more big supermarket

12 years in India for 4-6 months each year has made sure i always carry the following:-

Good Shoes - but be ready for the to get dirty!

Cargo Pants - Need plenty of Pockets for those little necessities!

Hand Sanitiser - just to clean up before a feed!

Good Camera - you will see some amazing things every day!

Some of you favourite home Snacks - it is always nice to have something from home.

Hindi Dictionary - Sometimes tough but a great opportunity to learn a new language. Indian people love to help you learn!

Carry Clean Water!

Be prepared to fall in love with India!!! It will happen without you realising!

Good point.  I was not thinking of that.

Using soap and water more hygienic than using hand sanitizer. 😉
12yrs u should seen India different way nd give a true description abt this country.
As the media continue to spoiled India imagine, we foreigners ppl lived in this country should show the ather beautiful face of it.
Yes ofcourse as many athers countries, India hz some hygiene problem but there is also a luxury place which no one can imagine the cost nd service..excellent
Resort and spa.. excellent
Ayurvedic homeopathy medicines.. excellent
Doctors nd hospitals.. Excellent knowledge nd cost
Schools nd education.. Excellent, montessori methods everywhere with reasonable prices
Cbse IB IGSE nd ather beautiful syllabus of education are offered
Veg diet.. Excellent nd u find most restaurants
Malls.. Luxury nd excellent.. Reasonable prices
Park nd gardens for children
More nd more
The philosophy of Indian ppl is to live peacefully happily with family first.. Family is number one on indian culture, nd mother comes first.. What's wonderful culture.

To fall in luv with Indian.. Yes I agree 👍 😊😊😊
Gud luck

Tom1612 wrote:

12 years in India for 4-6 months each year has made sure i always carry the following:-

Good Shoes - but be ready for the to get dirty!

Cargo Pants - Need plenty of Pockets for those little necessities!

Hand Sanitiser - just to clean up before a feed!

Good Camera - you will see some amazing things every day!

Some of you favourite home Snacks - it is always nice to have something from home.

Hindi Dictionary - Sometimes tough but a great opportunity to learn a new language. Indian people love to help you learn!

Carry Clean Water!

Be prepared to fall in love with India!!! It will happen without you realising!

Hi Tom
It is nice to hear you have been visiting india every year for 4 to 6 monnths. It seems to me you an retired Tom.
I am an british indian living in Leicester, England. I am about to retire. Once i am retired i would love to spend winter months in India.  Where do you spend your time while in India? And how much does it cost inclusive of everything including cost of accomodation. Your help with some more information will be helpful to me decide
Thanks
Keshavji

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your priceless feedbacks.

@ KKKACHA please can you create a thread of your own on the India forum as the topic here is about the essentials to bring in one's suitcase/container. A new thread will surely get you relevant answers.

All the best
Bhavna

Hi there
How are you?
Hope you are doing well.
I want to talk with you.

@Haroon.N

Your post is off topic and contains no information about the essentials for living in India.

If you are looking to make contact with Bhavna please be advised that Bhvana is moderator and team member of this forum and will not enter into any correspondence.

FYI.
This forum is not a dating site.