Essentials to live in Honduras

Hi,

As an expat living in Honduras, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Honduras? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Honduras.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

If you are a male, athletic socks and normal underwear. You may find these items at Paiz or Walmart in La Ceiba. Pant sizes tend to be small, although you will find larger sizes in Carrion.

Generally, goods from the USA are more expensive. The best advice I can give you is to live a year or two with "el pueblo" in Honduras, and not just the beach towns like Roatan, La Cieba, Trujillo, San Pedro Sula and all the other "expat" watering holes. Live with the people and enjoy the culture, great people (in general). If you are coming from Chicago, you will enjoy the lower crime rate in Honduras. :-) Be adventurous and broaden your horizons. I moved here not knowing anyone and knew four words in Spanish. I have never lived anywhere near expats and now have lived here for five years, became a permanent resident 2 years ago, can shop and drive alone, and married a wonderful Hondureña. I'm 75 years old, my wife is 60 years old and life is good. Saludos!

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : off topic. This thread is not talking about security issues.
Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : not relative to the thread

Woodrowdunn - You make Honduras sound like NYC, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, Miami, most of southern California, and St. Louis - among many other localities in the States and across the pond, Your ad hominem argument/statement falls short of reality .  My point was - live among and learn about the people and you can get all the answers a person might need about what, where, and how.

There are places in Houston, TX I won't drive through during the daytime - but the Houston/Galveston area is a great place to live. I, however, don't plan to live my life in fear and I don't travel around Honduras with an air of superiority, don't flash the "bling", and keep aware of my surroundings. The locals can also tell you where not to go.  I live in Santa Lucia, FM, and walk, talk, and meet very good people. I pan for gold in the mountain streams, shop in the local tiendas, and trek alone in the surrounding mountains. Although most locals are poor (in money), expats have a lot to learn from the Hondurans about important values in life.

"If you are a male, athletic socks and normal underwear. You may find these items at Paiz or Walmart in La Ceiba. Pant sizes tend to be small, although you will find larger sizes in Carrion." This is your original advice about life in Honduras - where to buy underwear? :-) Cannon or China?

Hello Christine:
I just read your post. It depends on where you are planning to stay.
Between Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba, there are about 20 malls. You can also find Pricesmart, Office Depot and many local stores, hardware stores and supermarkets with just about everything.
If you are planning to stay in Roatan, things are a bit more expensive but not too much. pack light and buy local is my advice.
Saludos cordiales

Reason : Off-topic. Participate only if you can help the first post.
Reason : off-topic.

Hello all

Please note that several posts have been moved to another thread talking about Safety issues in Honduras, others have been moderated from this thread being considered off topic.

May i Remind you the following initial post to which we expect posts to be related to :

Christine wrote:

Hi,

As an expat living in Honduras, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Honduras? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in ones suitcase or container when moving to Honduras.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

If any of you have information concerning safety in Honduras, please feel free to participate on the dedicated thread : Safety in Honduras

If you have any advice to what to include in suitcase for future expats coming to Honduras, feel free to share here please.

Thank you

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com