Essentials to live in Czech Republic

Hi,

As an expat living in Czech Republic, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Czech Republic? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to the Czech Republic.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I live here now so it's hard to say what to pack in a suitcase for a trip, but I can say a few things I buy when I'm back home in the USA to bring back with me are Mach3 razor cartridges (about 40% cheaper there than in Czech).  If it wasn't so heavy, I'd buy Listerine in the US as it's about 50% cheaper than here.  Many men's colognes and fragrances are cheaper in the US as well.  And it isn't just VAT/DPH, they are just more expensive.

But honestly, things have changed a lot in the last few years.  It used to be impossible to find decent corn tortilla chips, root beer, marshmallows, chocolate chips, actual milky way bars (though Mars bars are a decent substitute) but now you can find all that stuff here.  One thing I still can't find anywhere in the EU though is normal, American sweet pickle relish.  My kids love it so I'm probably throwing a couple jars int he suitcase next trip.

But there isn't a lot I miss anymore and the fact is that 97% of things bought in stores here are cheaper, often much cheaper than in the USA.  Just yesterday at Lidl I bought some "tool organizer" hooks in a set for less than the cost of a single pair of similar hooks in the US.

I've been living in the Czech Republic since 2004 and a lot of things that used to be difficult to get here are not such a challenge anymore.

One thing that's an absolute must is a mobile phone. I still know quite few people back in North America who get along without mobiles; you won't be able to do that here. You'll need a mobile to stay connected to anyone here. If you don't have a mobile when you arrive, you'll soon find yourself needing to get set up with one. Thankfully, there's no shortage of mobile providers here.

Peanut butter can be a challenge to find, but that's because it isn't very popular with Czechs. Most Czechs I've met who've encountered peanut butter consider it revolting stuff.

Good quality Oreo cookies are a challenge here too. Oreos are locally produced here, but they are not nearly the quality of those you can get in North America.