Essentials to live in Bermuda

Hi,

As an expat living in Bermuda, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Bermuda? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Bermuda.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi Christine,

Bermuda is the most expensive place I've ever lived in. EVERYTHING is expensive.
If you can afford the capital outlay and bring a container: do it. No kidding.
Even furniture. Some second hand stuff that would cost you £10 in UK is $200.
Food is at least double that in UK and triple that in US. Mostly GMO and laced with absurd amount of sugar and salt. I bought US baked beans and it was as sweet as a desert.

I agree with Zedski,  it's best to bring whatever you can.  We shipped over a lot of items and traveled with 6x suitcases and still we regret not shipping more stuff in the first time.

The only issue might be where you're going to be living, unfortunately accommodation is  expensive and you might have to give up a lot of space to make your budget work which means you won't have a lot of space for the things you want to bring with you.  More than half our items is still packed away and we could only unpack what we really needed.

Just one more piece of advice, if it takes up a lot of space or even if it's small but heavy it might not be worth bringing unless you ship in bulk.  Remember they charge you by weight and by volume.