Visa status for trailing girlfriend

Hello all

Am currently an expat working in Asia, and my boyfriend got offered a job in Seattle.
As we are not married, what are the options for me to join him and be able to work there?

We are planning on getting married, would it be better to do so before or after he moves?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Sara

What citizenship does he hold?

Hello! thanks for the reply

He's French

You need to contact a US embassy near you to get correct information....I don't think he would be able to sponsor your visa for awhile. Plus depending on your nationality it may take quite a while for you to get  visa as well, married or not.

If he is approved for a H1B non-immigrant visa he can sponsor you as his wife for a H4 non-immigrant visa.  You can file for that visa once his H1B is approved, and you are married.

If you want to have a chance at coming over with him when he leaves, then get married before he leaves.  If you want to wait, so be it :)

Thank you so much :)

One last clarification with regards to the timelines:

''If you want to have a chance at coming over with him when he leaves, then get married before he leaves''

So before he leaves is fine, or at the time he applies for h1b?

Thank you! :)

sourissette wrote:

Thank you so much :)

One last clarification with regards to the timelines:

''If you want to have a chance at coming over with him when he leaves, then get married before he leaves''

So before he leaves is fine, or at the time he applies for h1b?

Thank you! :)

From what I understand, he must have the H1B approved and in his hand before you can apply as a spouse for the H4.  Probably should verify with the American embassy in your country.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Filing for H-1B visas starts April 1st and entry to the US is generally approved for October of the same year. The sooner you get married, the better.
USCIS - H-1B Visas

Merci :)