Marrying in the Catholic Church

Hey everyone! So like many who've come before me, I've fallen for a wonderful Filippina.  We would like to marry in the (Catholic) Church, the problem is that though I was raised Catholic I've since left the faith many years ago (though I'm very much a practicing Christian). And this presents a problem as my Catholic friends say the Church won't conduct the ceremony unless I too, am Catholic. Is this true? Does anyone have any information regarding this? Thanks in advance, all! Oh and I am baptized through the Catholic Church, I hope that helps =)

OpaoPhil wrote:

Hey everyone! So like many who've come before me, I've fallen for a wonderful Filippina.  We would like to marry in the (Catholic) Church, the problem is that though I was raised Catholic I've since left the faith many years ago (though I'm very much a practicing Christian). And this presents a problem as my Catholic friends say the Church won't conduct the ceremony unless I too, am Catholic. Is this true? Does anyone have any information regarding this? Thanks in advance, all! Oh and I am baptized through the Catholic Church, I hope that helps =)

Had a Filipina niece marry a Greek Orthodox Cypriot in the Catholic Church in Santa, Ilocos Sur in November, 2014.  I would think it would be no problem for you to talk to the priest, explaining that you were baptized Catholic and are a Christian.  I was a divorced Lutheran converted to Catholicism, and since marriage is not a sacrament in the Lutheran church plus I bought a couple of fans for the church, it was no problem for us in 1994.  If you offer to help support the church while in the Philippines I would think it could be accomplished.

Thanks Mug tech! I'll speak to them (or my girlfriend will) and see what they say.

as. for me.. you should go to the church.. and ask them.. doesn't bother as long as your Catholic (baptized)I   think theres no problem on that.

Once a Catholic,  always a Catholic.  :) We Catholics believe baptism leaves a permanent mark on your soul. But whether you live your faith is entirely different. To properly receive a Sacrament (marriage), one should be in the state of grace. All you need is to make a good confession to return to the "fold". That would mean more to God than buying something for the church to make the priest think you are sincere. Returning to and getting married in the church would mean more to your girlfriend than you can imagine. God bless you!