$2.50/hour. Is that a joke?

My cat earns more than that sitting on the window ledge watching the traffic go by. … eaker.html

No, thats about 300-350 a month.  Normal average salary.

You got to take in to account a TON of other factors. If you compare Serbia to the US

1. Prices in the US are about twice as high
2. Serbs count their post tax salary, people from the US state their pre-tax salary
3. Serbs have socialized healthcare and schooling. I don't know any Serbs who have attempted suicide because of student loans or medical bills (I think medical debt alone is linked to a ridiculous percentage of suicides). … 38972.html … e-1264.php
Suicide is considered by almost 50% of people struggling with debt in the UK. … nd-suicide

You just don't see this in Serbia where the nation is still small and isolated enough (outside the EU that there is not a culture of travelling far distances for higher education like there is in the US). This causes a more retained family cohesion which if you could put a price on, would be significant.
4. Serbian cities are smaller and their public transportation is comparatively affordable/dependable. A standard job application question in the US is whether the applicant has a car or not. Those without cars simply aren't given jobs because of how undependable public transport in the US can be.
5. Because of point number 4 and the decentralization / post-segregation fictionalization of US cities (only New York and San Francisco are considered European cities as in they are built around a centre instead of a bunch of small neighbourhoods) the US citizen spends an enormous amount of money and time in/on their car and on fuel.
6. The grey market as a percentage of GDP is bigger and thus average salary is probably higher than reported.
7. Serbs work fewer hours. I have no data for this (the OECD has data but not on Serbia) but I have the feeling that Serbs generally work fewer hours mostly I would guess as a result of less debt and family cohesion. The percentage of US homes which are owned by their residents versus Serbian ones is staggering. Serbs own their own properties, people in the US generally are paying them off.

The quality of life differences that I've seen are mainly that way more Serbs end up living in close quarters with their family and moving out of the house later. Once you account for violent crime statistics, incarceration, hard drug usage etc.

Playing devil's advocate here but ultimately, I don't think it is so black and white.

I just noticed I typed "fictionalization" meant fractionalization (there's a definition for it but my spell check doesn't seem to recognize the word.

Questions and answers about Belgrade

Ask your question
Are there any Black people in Belgrade......
By Khami25
Tunisian in belgrade
By ceasar007
Tunisien man new in serbia belgrad
By ahmedusa2008
meet up in Belgrade?
By BarbaraP
Software startups?
By veverica
Start a business in Serbia
By Cybergreen

Expatriate health insurance in Belgrade

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Belgrade

Moving to Belgrade

Find tips from professionals about moving to Belgrade

Travel insurance in Belgrade

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Belgrade

Flights to Belgrade

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Belgrade