Groceries for a family of 4 in kuwait

Hi all,

How much can i expect to spend on groceries for a family of 4 in kuwait? I am married with a 5 year old son and a 1 year old daughter and also where do i shop to get the best value for money?

Thank you.

Try www.numbeo.com

I have 2 children and spend around 200 to 300 KD a week Kuwait is very expensive

@rabdcd 200-300 a week is TOO much, mind if we ask what exactly you're buying?

single western adult male ... 15-20 KD per week in groceries (a lot of specialty items from the west can drive up the cost) the rest of the time I eat out, pretty much daily.  I 'average' between 45-55 total weekly in food (not including paper/cleaning products). 

I know of filipinos sharing flats in groups of 4-6 each spending about 20KD 'monthly' ... sharing meals (thats about 25KD per week split between 5 people making it work) ... it really comes down to your culture, what your used to, and what you find acceptable.

Check your private messages please.

Hi..there is no message...

I'm sorry I meant for rabdcd.

But that's alright I will send you a message now.

I have to apologise I have quoted KD instead of pounds sterling. Mostly shopping in LuLu however have tried all he major stores and feel they all cost around the same it's a matter of different brands.

Hello all :cheers:

To have a good idea of cost of living, check out this thread :

> Cost of living in Kuwait – 2015

Any member can participate too adding up more detailed infos to help out the community :top:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I would suggest you go with the co-ops instead. As the supermarket costs can be really overwhelming sometimes.  :cheers:

rabdcd wrote:

I have to apologise I have quoted KD instead of pounds sterling. Mostly shopping in LuLu however have tried all he major stores and feel they all cost around the same it's a matter of different brands.

rabdcd,

Did you try any of the local co-ops? Of course Lulu and SaveCo are going to be expensive.. American and British imported stuff! There's the local co-op society in Shamiya (hopefully not too far for you) they have a vegetable and fruits section you get so much for very affordable value. I will go there once the holiday is over (I don't want to be sprayed with foams..) and I will take a picture of the vegetable and fruit stands as well as prices and send them in a following comment.

I always go there even though I live in Salwa but it saves me so much money. Well  not only this co-op there are lots of similar co-ops I just go there every time.

I used to shop at the super markets but I found myself spending like 60KDs every few days or so for only a couple of stuff and only just for me. It's way too much!  :huh:

I rarely go there anymore except when I want to buy sushi rice, coconut sugar and stuff that I cannot find in any of our local co-ops :)

Hello,

We hope this message finds you in good health. Contrary to your belief based on actual facts and figures done through the ministry of social affairs in Kuwait, the cheapest coop is 5% more expensive than the most expensive private supermarket. Regardless which private supermarket you go with, it will always be cheaper if you compare the same exact products and brands. You are welcome to check with the Ministers office, mind you, the coops are directly under the control of the Ministry of social affairs so they know exactly what they are talking about.

Sincerely,

The Saveco Family

i believe that is propaganda coming from Saveco saying that ALL coops are 5% more expensive than the private hypermarkets - what i do suggest is an apples-to-apples comparison - we create our own Consumer Price Index (CPI for like-minded business folk) which is quite simple really - select a few generic items that everyone needs on a weekly basis - check the prices of the SAME EXACT brands across hypermarkets and coops, also see the cheapest alternative for each product at both places and compare those for fun.

Certain coops offer better prices than others - for example the army one on the 4th past the sultan center wholesale.

it would be in your best interest to join the mailing list of places like gulfmart, grand hyper, sultan center, geant and carrefour, they're constantly sending emails about discounts, could always be of use.

We do thank you for voicing your opinion but as all our customers and suppliers know Saveco is known for transparency. We did not insinuate that only Saveco is cheaper but all private hypermarkets. This is a report issued by the ministry of social affairs who are the people running the coops themselves. It is a loss for them to issue such a report. You can go and inquire yourself at the ministry of social affairs, Mr Adel the ministers advisor am sure would be more than happy to discuss this with you as the research project was headed by him  as a result of the Customers complaining about prices in Kuwait. We do not falsely advertise nor would we like someone to insinuate or suggest to anyone else that we lie.

you throw around names and mention a report and say "go find the report" which for all intents and purposes is akin to searching the ocean for a drop of water. either substantiate your claim by providing this report or do not go around saying the coops are more expensive without DEFINITIVE proof of that statement.

the burden of proof lies with you, not for me to corroborate your insinuations.

Dear Legacy,

It has been all over the news lately as it was the main reason for privatizing Dasma coop, you are welcome to  "Google" it. The pre tender meeting took place yesterday itself for Dasma coop. We have Given the exact name and position and specified the ministry. We have been in this business since the 70s and know the market very well, and if you know the supermarket market business you would know there are price scouts for each company that compare prices on a daily basis.

Sincerely,

The Saveco Family

I completely agree with Legacy.

This is what works for me and for my budget.. it is still cheaper for ME even if the % is that, BASED on what I buy.

I understand you care about your business and it's really nothing personal but I will always do what is best for me.

Hello Dana

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion and we do respect that. But reality still remains that facts differ from opionion. When comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges , all private supermarkets are cheaper than coops this is a study done by the ministry of social affairs responsible for the coops not by any private supermarket. We certainly do care about our business but we wouldn't advertise competing private supermarkets if we were trying to pull a media stunt. We are simply correcting objective statements and stating facts.

Sincerely,

The Saveco Family