Buying new car?

Hi there,
We are looking to move to malta in June. I have been looking online for places to buy new Ford in Malta..
Will it be a case of buying abroad and shipping over or are there new car dealerships?
Thanks x

This is a main dealer...

http://www.gasanzammit.com/

Terry

Just a note, if you buy new and ship make sure you only pay vat once. I can't recall where I read it, apologies, but if a new car has more than 'X' miles then vat will be applicable. If you buy in UK with intent to export then don't pay vat in the UK, pay on arrival to Malta. All from memory - if you go that way it's worth reading up on.

From what I read also, if you ship a car over to Malta which hasn't been on your name for 2 years at least, you'll have pay to legalyze it over here. It can be quite expensive to have the Maltese number plates depending on the year of the car and of course as more recent is the car, more you pay. You'll probably better off by buying a new one over here. There are plenty of car dealers in Malta and if you have the time to check them out, you might be able to find a decent deal.

Thanks for all of your replies.
I think buying in Malta is the best option. I had a look in GasanZammit so that's a great start
Thanks all

That doesn't apply if you buy a new car, as long as the miles are under a certain amount. Reason for buying in the UK is you may get a cheaper deal - more cost effective to ship cars here (or you never know it may be actually assembled here!) and better deals in a larger competitive marketplace.

kiwi dan wrote:

That doesn't apply if you buy a new car, as long as the miles are under a certain amount. Reason for buying in the UK is you may get a cheaper deal - more cost effective to ship cars here (or you never know it may be actually assembled here!) and better deals in a larger competitive marketplace.

You can tell the ones assembled here, they are the ones without indicators.   :D

Terry

Haha!!

Me again, do you need an ID card to buy a car in Malta? And how long does it take to get an ID card? Can I apply here in the UK?
Sorry for all the irrelevant questions to the post! X

tearnet wrote:

You can tell the ones assembled here, they are the ones without indicators.   :D

Terry

To be honest, doesn't make any difference with or without, they don't use them anyway :D

Yes you need an EID, it can take a few weeks.
You have to be in Malta to start the process.

Terry

Manda 10

Hi 
Most people tend to go to Gozo to buy a car as they can be cheaper there than n Malta.
VAT on imports is applicable if you move the car here and if you have not owned it for less than 2 yrs, you can go online to Transport malta and use their calculator that will give you the value of your car and the expected Vat to pay.
If you are exempt then you must have with you a paper trail of insurance and its orignal purchase for 3 years with you and of course still be prepared to pay as its all down to the ministry of finance to decide if the car will be accepted anyway!

I have been advised as a female if I wish to purchase a car through finance here than I have to be resident, with ID and only if I have a male husband / father / brother present to sign the documents for some reason. another archaic system.  You must also present your proof of address with your rental agreement and drivers licence.

You can of course also rent a car  in the winter rates are cheaper but recently I had a quote of 420 euro for a small car for 6 mths , on the grander scale of things this is more costly at the end of the year than purchasing a car or importing one.

If  "most" people go to Gozo the buy a car why are there so many car dealers in Malta?

VAT is not payable on pre registered cars brought in to Malta but a registration tax is, unless you have owned it outside of Malta in your name for more than 2 years and wish to claim exemption. You do need a paper trail showing you have lived outside of Malta for 2 or more years and the car has been in your possession for that time.
Never heard of a woman having to be accompanied by a Male relative to get a loan, try  a different bank or dealer.
You need an EID to register a car in your name.

Terry

roadtripper wrote:

Manda 10

Hi 
Most people tend to go to Gozo to buy a car as they can be cheaper there than n Malta.
VAT on imports is applicable if you move the car here and if you have not owned it for less than 2 yrs, you can go online to Transport malta and use their calculator that will give you the value of your car and the expected Vat to pay.

I am sure there would be a lot more car dealers in Gozo if that was the case!

It is not VAT it is a registration fee!

Ray