So bored

Hello everybody..l marriaged and came to Libya because of my husband job as a civil engineer..Before l hearded about Libya but l couldnt anticipate like that..There is nothing...Even l couldnt go around..l need a taxi but l hearded that it is not secure 'they can be burglary by taxi because of that l need a honest taxi driver to call sometimes when l need.l am living janzour center..And l am in shock..l imprisde myself home :(  l need some advices...l am seeking job also but nothing there..Every doors closed :S And l need find out Libya more..Thank you ( looking forward yours advicess)

Housewife in Libya must be really very difficult. I havent got any usefull advise but like most of women you can go gym, swimming (at corinthia hotel) or buy for yourself one wii or PS3 and play from morning to evening.

Hello Marselya,

Welcome to the group and to Libya.  I know how you are feeling, but if you get involved in groups and start to get to know people, your circle of friends will blossom.

I started an expat womens group for women like us who are not working.  And after meeting a few women, I have activities and events to go to.

I invite you to go to meetup.com/tripoli-womens-group and join/register.  It's free.  You can see when, where, and what events are going on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
meetup.com/tripoli-womens-group

thank you Aqu,l will attempt in your advices.Actually my first prerequisite is finding a honest taxi driver to relocate me .If you have a honest taxı driver number could you please share with me to my box.l graduated from business but for now ıt seems diffucult to fınd job soooo l am despirete housewife yes :)And Thank you Sea Angel,l will register precisely your website, l hope l will fell better.even l dont have internet because after bairam here is not internet modem :( And l am using neibours internet sometimes until l have...Thank you and if you have a honest taxi driver number please write me..

marselya wrote:

Hello everybody..l marriaged and came to Libya because of my husband job as a civil engineer..Before l hearded about Libya but l couldnt anticipate like that..There is nothing...Even l couldnt go around..l need a taxi but l hearded that it is not secure 'they can be burglary by taxi because of that l need a honest taxi driver to call sometimes when l need.l am living janzour center..And l am in shock..l imprisde myself home :(  l need some advices...l am seeking job also but nothing there..Every doors closed :S And l need find out Libya more..Thank you ( looking forward yours advicess)

All the eloquence effusing from hundreds of my posts on this board fails to capture the reality and the essence of life in Libya like this post does. So concise, yet so profound!

Edit: quotes

I'm listening to some Joe Bonamassa, can of chilled Kingfisher on hand and about to eat a roast pork dinner. Definitely not bored.

marselya wrote:

Cheer up Marselya!! The first few months are usually difficult in Libya, especially if you are not working ... then you start getting used to it and it won't seem all that bad/boring. I'm sure you'll feel better once you have an internet connection at your place & get to know a few people...

you can look up job vacancies at ... www.libyaninvestment.com/
though if you are on an accompanying visa, you're actually not supposed to work :(
for information on Libya you can look up
www.lookoutlibya.com or www.whatson.ly and of course there are many informative contributions on this forum ....

Also try to get a map of Tripoli or print one out so that you get an idea of where places are. Good luck!! Hope things improve for you soon.

Marseyla,

It is hard when we first come to Libya.  But it really does not take long to get connected.

When I came to Libya, I kept a low profile and did not try to go out and meet people.  I was taking it easy.  At home we were always busy with friends and family and pot lucks that I just wanted a break.

I am trying to take advantage of the slow pace here.

And then I ventured out and started to meet people, who in turn started telling me about groups and inviting me to things.

Marselya,

Don't get your hopes down, this place really gets better with friends, as anywhere else in the world,and businesswise, there are a lot of turkish companies, send me a CV to my mb and i can poke some people around.

Any vacancy for me? Ia m bored too. lols

Thank you everybody l got your advice and l will start to try something with your websites and invites..Thans so much ..

hello
I know it is not easy to used to life in libya, but believe me it is more simple than it looks like.
about searching for a job that is suible for you i can advice you to look in : libyaninvestment.com  , look in jobs.
i wish you enjoy living here
ibrahim

dr.ibrahim wrote:

hello
I know it is not easy to used to life in libya, but believe me it is more simple than it looks like.
about searching for a job that is suible for you i can advice you to look in : libyaninvestment.com  , look in jobs.
ibrahim

انا عاوز اضيف واقول : فوق انها كانت بتشتغل رقاصة . كانت بترقص

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

@ mancunian: A kind request - (Can you use English language please)

mancunian wrote:

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

Arabic
because Adel Imam speaks it!

MoEl wrote:
mancunian wrote:

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

Arabic

Who Adel imam the Anthony Hopkins of egypt :P. Any idea what he is trying to say?

enraged1 wrote:
MoEl wrote:
mancunian wrote:

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

Arabic

Who Adel imam the Anthony Hopkins of egypt :P. Any idea what he is trying to say?

I was wondering myself.  :)

enraged1 wrote:
MoEl wrote:
mancunian wrote:

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

Arabic

Or maybe the Matthew Hopkins?

mancunian wrote:
dr.ibrahim wrote:

hello
ibrahim

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

You masri, or jus pretending ?

فوق انها كانت بتشتغل رقاصة . كانت بترقص

There is nearly four decades of history and culture loaded in this phrase. Trying to translate it into another language would be as vain as trying to describe Dave Chappelle's humor to a Bedouin.

Sandman6 wrote:

Matthew Hopkins

This made me feel so small and inadequate. Dude lived a measly 27 years and he gets his own, elaborate Wikipedia page.

mancunian wrote:
dr.ibrahim wrote:

hello
ibrahim

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

I think the jest of mancunian's comment is that Dr Ibrahim is "stating the obvious"

btw it was very rude of you mancunian to post in Arabic in this forum.
As Fred Elliot would say, "Rude Ah say Ah say very rude" :dumbom:

mancunian wrote:
dr.ibrahim wrote:

hello
ibrahim

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

why mancunain,   why you speak in such way? and what are you writing in responed to what i said, i really dont accept your saying,

ExpatLibyan wrote:
mancunian wrote:
dr.ibrahim wrote:

hello
ibrahim

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

I think the jest of mancunian's comment is that Dr Ibrahim is "stating the obvious"

btw it was very rude of you mancunian to post in Arabic in this forum.
As Fred Elliot would say, "Rude Ah say Ah say very rude" :dumbom:

please do not give any excuses to what mancunian said in arabic , and he has no right for such writing ,or  comparisons, and about what i wrote in first i think every one has his or her way to say things as he want to help others

marselya wrote:

thank you Aqu,l will attempt in your advices.Actually my first prerequisite is finding a honest taxi driver to relocate me .If you have a honest taxı driver number could you please share with me to my box.l graduated from business but for now ıt seems diffucult to fınd job soooo l am despirete housewife yes :)And Thank you Sea Angel,l will register precisely your website, l hope l will fell better.even l dont have internet because after bairam here is not internet modem :( And l am using neibours internet sometimes until l have...Thank you and if you have a honest taxi driver number please write me..

Certainly finding a job would be very helpful in many ways.  You could try checking on the Tripoli Post newspaper for vacancies or libyaninvestment.com.  Sometimes landing "any" decent job is good in order to get started and from there move on... : )
Taxi's in general don't speak any English and finding an "honest" one is kinda hard, like any part of the world ( what you might of heard on this site etc. isn't exactly the daily norm such as in Manila or Naples etc. ) but not impossible, it would be easier and faster to get a license and drive on your own.
Getting a USB modem and membership from LTT is...crucial...
Yes, there's plenty of time here especially if "home alone" doing nothing and with few friends etc.
Good luck.

Hi, Marselya!

Try this: meetup.com/Tripoli-Womens-Group/

I was there this morning at the meeting in Palm Citty club...it was nice...and they r always organizing some of those meetings and in occasion presenting variouse activities. That is also a way to get to know new people-woman here in Tripoli that r expats as you r. From those groups might come out some new friendship...new information...everything!
Where r you from? Have any kids? Unfortunatelly in Janzour there is nothing....here the life is easier if you live in Regata or Alfao...or Palm citty....I also live close to Janzour...but I go often with car to Regata or in center....I personally don't like nighter taxi nor a privat driver as they all r realy kamikaze drivers! I trust more myself. :-)

If you have some concrete questions, contact me and I would be glad to help a newcommer even I'm one of those too....
Best regards.
Nada

Learning language also is a great way to pass time. I've started learning Arabic recently, and found that it takes up so much time to memorize the difficult words!! So if you ever had desire to learn any new language, the time here in Tripoli could aide you in finally coming around to learn that language!

Yes l agree with you.l am trying also but which book or website do you you use to learn?or do you go a course ? we are learning ourself with a my friend.But we couldnt find modern arabic(libya arabic).we find Kuran arabic it is smiliar but not same.If you know a source for arabic as a book or web site could you please write me ..Thank you :)

Sea Angel wrote:

Hello Marselya,

Welcome to the group and to Libya.  I know how you are feeling, but if you get involved in groups and start to get to know people, your circle of friends will blossom.

I started an expat womens group for women like us who are not working.  And after meeting a few women, I have activities and events to go to.

I invite you to go to meetup.com/tripoli-womens-group and join/register.  It's free.  You can see when, where, and what events are going on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
meetup.com/tripoli-womens-group

it's a great idea :) i sent to you my request, and i am waiting for your attention.

ımjulı l couldnt understand,request for what ? who for dıd you wrıte ıt ?

marselya wrote:

i have sent a request to "meetup.com/tripoli-womens-group" :) i wrote this for "sea angel"

marselya wrote:

Am a Housewife too, it was really difficult for me to live here at the begining, but i get used to it.
I tried to find my self a job it was hopless. I got problem about going out by myself.I took the risk and went several times alone to Souk thalath and Ben Ashor. Men will not stop harresments or staring.
Sometimes i loose my temper. Once I went to a computer shop to buy computer part a young guy touched my tit! It was so embarressing no one to protect me. I starred at him in a way that he ran inside the store the other guy was so shammed that he nodded his red face down, threw sharp words loudly at them was good.
I hate when men pass by me with out respecting my personal space like they are getting so close to my body. I hate the stupid smile they are giving.

Use the staring with out showing any gestures on face. I use for anyone who is rude impolite. Keep starring until they low their vision or be disturbed they would try to vanish from your sight. Words is next option, and last one is the Action.

For now I joined turkish course and it is fine. In your case there are plenty of turkish companies in Libya which somtimes seeks employees.

Jnazoor is better place than the one where I live
( Salahettin) :P

About taxi drivers there is one he gave me his card and he speaks english as long as i know. Send me a Message and i will send you his name and phone numbers.

gelincek, you said you are Palestinian. do you speak Arabic? if not the area is called Salaheddin which is known as  Saladin in English.

mancunian wrote:

gelincek, you said you are Palestinian. do you speak Arabic? if not the area is called Salaheddin which is known as  Saladin in English.

Yes I speak arabic and it is Salah al-deen, but I spelt it for a >turk< Referring TO >>Marselya Hanim<< they say it with T.

imjuli wrote:
marselya wrote:

i have sent a request to "meetup.com/tripoli-womens-group" :) i wrote this for "sea angel"

I had one member request and I just accepted.  Is this you?  LOL  Because the name is not the same.

gelincek,

I totally understand about the starring thing.  After learning today that my housekeeper got held up by knife point yesterday coming to work for me, I was a little nervous. 

Anyway, I had an incident today with a bum looking local turning back walking and trying to talk to me.  I yelled and pointed straight ahead:  "Don't look at me" a few times  And it scared him and he left me alone.

And I hope no one ever touches me.  :dumbom:

Go to the link below to register for The Tripoli Womens Group and you will meet some very good ladies.
Tripoli Womens Group

I find breathing and talking myself through some of what we have to endure helps.  :)

gelincek wrote:

Am a Housewife too, it was really difficult for me to live here at the begining, but i get used to it.
I tried to find my self a job it was hopless. I got problem about going out by myself.I took the risk and went several times alone to Souk thalath and Ben Ashor. Men will not stop harresments or staring.
Sometimes i loose my temper. Once I went to a computer shop to buy computer part a young guy touched my tit! It was so embarressing no one to protect me. I starred at him in a way that he ran inside the store the other guy was so shammed that he nodded his red face down, threw sharp words loudly at them was good.
I hate when men pass by me with out respecting my personal space like they are getting so close to my body. I hate the stupid smile they are giving.

*Thinking to self*

1- Dress up like a young lady.
2- Wear makeup and put on a wig (I already have a pretty face, so I'm cool there)
3- Grab a few, heavy duty trash bags and go for a spin in souk thalath.
4- Return home with few dummies for punching practice.
5- Repeat in different locations as desired.

Sea Angel wrote:
imjuli wrote:
marselya wrote:

I had one member request and I just accepted.  Is this you?  LOL  Because the name is not the same.

yes i am :)

thank you.

enraged1 wrote:
MoEl wrote:
mancunian wrote:

متشكرين على الاضافة دي

Arabic

Translation :

"...on top of working as a belly dancer she was also dancing..."

Not really, no makeup usually the expat I know we do wear modest clothes no wigs no heavy duty trash > AS you call < This recommended to be tagged in the local girls Blogs no in the expat women blogs.