Concerns about Zika Virus cause cancellations during Carnaval

Hotels in Rio have reported a significant increase in the number of cancellations of reservations made for the Carnaval period this year. That means that a number of tourists are cancelling their trips to this country out of fear of contracting the Zika Virus. They also report there was an even greater increase following the WHO declaration of a state of emergency.

I find it rather strange that there has never seemed to be so much concern and so many cancellations related to the Dengue Virus, which is at near epidemic levels and spread by the same mosquito. I guess that more people are concerned about the possibility of birth defects resulting from Zika than they are about the risk of DEATH from Dengue.

Clearly the Brazilian government seemed to have given up their so-called "war" on Dengue that existed when I first arrived in Brazil 14 years ago. Now they're paying the price for this in terms of many more cases of Dengue and more deaths. Now they've added Zika to the list and seem to be scrambling to catch up. If they had simply continued their battle it is quite likely that Zika wouldn't have become such a problem.

It's probably too late for any action they may now take to have any effects before the opening of the Rio Olympic Games in six months. I am sure that we will see a corresponding increase in cancellations for that period too, as if the concerns about lack of infrastructure completion and pollution of Guanabara Bay aren't already enough to put people off.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Brazil is the country of the future and always will be............

I think that any virus that causes babies to be born with deformed heads is going to scare hell out of anyone pregnant or planning to have kids....in certain areas of the Latin Americas they are advising people not too have kids for the next two or three years!

Yes for it is dominating the news on all fronts. There have been 9 cases of Zika reported in Florida as of  03/01/16 and the governor of Florida has declared a state of emergency for 4 counties all cases are reported from people who have traveled in the Latin / South America's.  1 case of the virus being sexuallly transmitted reported in Texas. It is expected to worsen in the March / April months in the Southern states of the U.S.. what a financial mess first the Carnival and now the potential problem with Olympics.  It brings a new meaning to "Build it and They Will Come"  the economic turn of events are devestating as if the economy needs another tragic hit.