Looking to move to Honduras, need your feedbacks

Hi All,

My husband and I have decided we want to move somewhere by the sea when we retire. I think our plan will be in the next 2 to 3 years as he is 61 and I am 59. He works in oil and gas and I'm a Director of Sales for a Hilton property in Oklahoma City.  We are looking at Hondurus as an option.

My first question above all is, how hard was it to leave your GROWN children behind in the states and how often do you get to see them now that you live so far away? Did you ever regret your decision to move?

Also, is there a large expat community and how hard is it to meet people? We are looking for a fun yet laid back community where we can be as active as we want to be.

I would welcome hearing any advice on how to go about this decision and what made you choose your location.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Debi and Johnny

Hi,

Roatan has by far the highest quality of life and the largest ex-pat community in the country. They are very diverse, very social and very supportive. In a week here you will know at least 10 of them. In a month you will have met probably 100 or more. There is always something going on which you can choose to be part of of you wish. You won't find an easier group to become part of anywhere in the world.

As for family, younger people are always on the go - work, kids, hobbies, friends so quality time together tends to be limited in your home towns. It is easy to het here with many direct flights, and easy to return. Time together becomes quality time, especially when they come to visit. Also with Skype or FaceTime you can talk every day, face to face if you like. I have had happy hour on the beach many times with my friends and family 5,000 miles away.

Let me know if you need more information.

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much for the information. Very helpful! We are thinking about making our first trip there in May for a week. What city would you suggest we stay in for our trip?

Thanks again,
Debi

Hi!

Really no cities but stay in West Bay. Let me know when your plans firm up. I can send you some advance info so you are educated when you arrive.

Best of Life!

Edward

That would be great Ed. Thanks so much. I will let you know.

Thanks again!
Debi

Hello everyone,

Welcome to https://www.expat.com Debi and Johnny  :)

A new thread has been created from your posts and the feedbacks you had on the Honduras forum so that you may better get some infos and ask questions.

All the best
Bhavna

You may try the islands at first. That will make adjustment a little easier. Plane flights are frequent and easy to access to the States. Remember however that you will have to make adjustments and get advice about security, although the islands for the most part are safe.

For now looks like we will be arriving the Saturday before July 4th. Is the Las Rocas Resort in a good area? I have not booked it yet so let me know if it's not good. Our plan is to be there  a week and hopefully get a feel of everything.

Thanks, Debi

You will enjoy Las Rocas resort immensely. Be sure that you are careful with the sun, or you will ruin your trip! Try 20-30 minutes first day, to see how your skin responds. Drink lots of water, not soft drinks. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Enjoy!

If you are anything like us you will fall in love with this little island. After docking there on several cruises we spent 2 weeks exploring the island to figure out where we wanted to be. We found the realtor we chose to be very helpful in picking location we would like. We spent time in West Bay, West End and Sandy Bay. We found these areas to be very different in their vibe so to speak. We also spent time driving around the island ti see some other areas. There are expat communities in other areas of the island. We also met many expats and islanders and have continued these relationships in following visits. The community on the island is very helpful and willing to support our venture to build a small Eco-lodge. We settled in West End and will be coming to work on our build project the same time you will be in the island maybe we will see you there. Good luck

That sounds very exciting. Good for you! We have never been there but have heard great things. We are looking for a place to start a life where we can do as much or as little as we want. Island time sounds so nice to us as are lives have been all about work.

I hope to connect with you  and others while we are there. I would like to hear everyone's experiences so I will have a greater understanding of what to expect when we start to retire.

Thanks!
Debi