Follow all our news on Facebook!

Diffrence between RNE and CIE???

Dear James,

Hope to find you well,No doubt you are doing very good job by explaining everything in true words.
i have no idea about RNE and CIE.would you like to tell me diffrence between RNE and CIE?
Moreover also tell me what are the benefits of RNE and CIE?

Please try your best to explain it in details as you do always,

Actually the two terms are often confused because they are both commonly used to refer to the same thing even though they are different.

RNE = Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros: The computer database that the Federal Police maintain for the government that contains the information on all foreigners registered in Brazil as permanent or temporary visa holders (not VITUR tourist visas).

RNE Number = The 8 digit alpha-numeric number assigned to each individual registered in the RNE program

CIE = Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro:  The actual (machine readable) plastic   Civil ID card issued to foreigners registered in Brazil, it contains their data, photo, fingerprint and RNE Number.

So despite the fact that RNE and CIE actually are two different things MOST people are really referring to the card when they use the term RNE. The correct term is CIE, however. So when someone says, "Can I see your RNE?" what they're really asking for is to see your Cédula de Identidade.

James Experts Team

Don't get to caught up in the Jargon , it's actually very simple just like James says.
It's an ID card and RNE is just the actual registration of it.

As far s Benefits , you need to show the card to accomplish pretty much anything and when you get it you are basically treated like a Brazilian in the eyes of the law.
You can get into National Parks and things at Brazilian Half price and travel all over South America on the card as part of the Mercosul agreement which are nice perks. said if  foreigner has CIE then he can travel to South american countries??How is it possible?
if its true then mention the names of countries in south america,in which CIE holder can travel.
Can CIE holder travel by plane or he just can travel on bus?if he is eligible to travel then what is the procedure and what documents required along with CIE to enther in that south American Countries???

You just need the card.....You can go to Argentina , Paraguay , Columbia , Venezuela , Uruguay  and I think Chile and Bolivia too

They are all Part of a Mercosul Agreement , it's like a South American EU. I travelled to Argentina on my card last week and the chinese guy next too me used his CIE to enter Argentina and remarked to me how great it is not to need a visa.....I don't need visa for Latin America anyway with my Passport , but the card makes it even easier

Well it's not exactly ALL South American countries, but anyone who holds a PERMANENT category Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro does not require a visa to enter some of the MERCOSUL member nations. The mobility terms of the MERCOSUL agreement permit entry without visa (for the purpose of tourism):

Brazil / Bolivia / Colombia / Ecuador / Peru all allow visa free entry for permanent residents of the other nations with their Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro.

Note: Despite not needing your passport, one should never travel to another country without their passport, if for no other reason to prove their citizenship should they require Consular assistance from their country's Embassy or Consulate while they travel.

James Experts Team

Argentina and Paraguay Definitely do too....I know because I've been there
and I think Venezuela does as well.

I think Venezuela depends on your citizenship. If you're an American citizen they require your passport and a visa from what I've heard.

I also have heard that Argentina charges an entry tax. Can't say how much it is though.

James Experts Team

whats about Uruguay?can i also enter in Uruguay without visa if i have CIE of Brazil?Please give
me solid information,,,

I think we paid R$40 to go to Argentina

Uruguay does not accept the CIE. They only allow visa free travel for born Brazilians and they require their RG (Registro Geral). The countries listed in my other reply are the only ones that accept the CIE.

James Experts Team

It must have to do with the Passport - The South African Passport is definitely one of the best passports to Travel Latin America on - no visa's anywhere except Bolivia of all places , they charge some entrence fee ,but it's useless in Europe and North America

I have been to Argentina on my CIE and not payed any fee....
I will try to enter Uragauy on my CIE when I go there and see what happens when I go there

Hello Jaames,
Just stumbled on this site.I wanted to know a few things abut the RNE. i have a quick question. i recently got my RNE and i will be having my first paid vacation next year and i would like to travel. im a So i was researching and saw all these great countries n Europe that are visa free for Brazil. my question is does visa free apply to people who hold a brazilian RNE card or is it just for people who hold the brazilian passport?
Thanks in advance and look forward to frequenting this

only the Brazilian can travel freely in South America on your RNE,Mercosul countries , but outside south america it won't help you

Moderated by Priscilla 2 months ago
Reason : message removed - asked by the initiator

James is no more with us. He passed on earleir this year. Others in the community can be of help though. I think the Europe free-travel is only for the Brazilian Passport and not for RNE holders.

Moderated by Priscilla 2 months ago
Reason : message removed - asked by the initiator

The RNE is the registration number. It will appear on your card. I believe that your CIE will arrive at the embassy where you applied. You should go there and ask them to explain it to you.

Nah pick the CIE up with the federal police in register with a federal police then they order it from Brasilia

He stated that he got it through the consulate where he lives. i think he will probably get it from the consulate where he applied.

He got the VIPER at his consulate....just like's normal, to get the CIE card you have to register the viper in Brazil,within 30 days of arrival, trust me there is no other way. You HAVE to collect the CIE in person from federal police in Brazil and it involves quite a complex registration process with various fees and documents.

Dear Mukhtar,

Congratulations that you got Viper Visa.i am here in Brazil.Please give me your Whats app no.

i want to discuss somethings with you on whats app.

Dear all,

I am just commenting as I am either very confused or there has been updates to the system.

I picked up my RNE last week and the staff member at the Federal Police stated I did not need a VIPER.

On the back of my RNE there is my fingerprint, photo and barcode.

Am I right in assuming these are features that were only on a CIE previously?

If so, I'm am assuming foreigners no longer need a VIPER or CIE?


The card you picked up is your CIE. The RNE is not a card it is the registration of your visa. The permanent visa is known as the viper.


Hello Jim

Thank you, that makes sense!
The card says my classification is Permanent so why would I need VIPER?



It is your viper. You don't need anything else just keep it renewed and don't stay out of Brazil more than 2 years.


New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Brazil

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Brazil

Moving to Brazil

Find tips from professionals about moving to Brazil

Travel insurance in Brazil

Enjoy stress-free travel to Brazil

Flights to Brazil

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Brazil