Please help me to help the refugees in Bulgaria

Hi there,

I would like to take old clothes, shoes and blankets to Refugees in Harmanli, can you help please, as they have left homes, cars and work, they have nothing, they really need help.

If you are around Varna, I have someone there who is coming with a van.

Contact me by mail.
Thank you  very much

Sihemt

Hi,,,i live near VT,,,can i help in anyway,,,Regards eddie

You may think it wrong it what I am about to say but don't you think we should be looking after the local  gypsies first!!!! As they have been here longer that the refugees and  they gypsies get next to no help? We give our old clothes and food we will not eat to the local gypsie, she is 87 no running water/electricity am sure the refugees get better facilities then our old lady.
It was there choice to leave there job, house and car behind ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : generalised and inappropriate comment

Kosarka,,i respect what you say,regarding helping local community,but you say refugees had choice of leaving jobs,cars etc ??,,sorry my friend,these people "had no choice" but to flee there homelands,,Why?,,there own lives/family/livelyhood/homes destroyed,by civil war,,,,,,I have engaged in BG with some people who sincerely need help & others who just help themselves(crime) ,,regards eddie

Hi Kosarka,

I really appreciate what you are trying to do. Just that there's a BIG difference between local gipsy and a refugee from Syria.
First of all, local gipsies receive several different types of state aid - for having many children, for being lonely mothers (they  do not marry oficially for this reson), unpemployment aid, poverty aid and several others ...
And second, a refugee fleeing from war has absolutely no choice... except to try to save his life.

o.k. I am sure you do not understand, so pleas take a look at the Urban Dictionary definition:

"Some people say gipsy isn't a type of people. Its a way of life. However they are right, being a gypsy or "having nomadic habit of life" usually runs in the family."

Clear now ? Not yet ... so please consider the fact, that gisies live in Bulgaria for approximately 400 years. Whose choice it was not to integrate, find a proper job and lead a normal life ? I am not saying that all of them haven't ... but the vast majority - YES. They would not change for hundreds of years.

I spent 10 years helping our village and our people so now I help people who are fleeing war, you need to put yourself in their place , what would do to save your life and your family's life? I would run away and look for help from people who have good heart

Sihemt,,,Beutifull response,,,no answer to that,,,,,eddie

Hi. Send me your email and I'll get back to you. Thank you very much

Hi everybody,

Please note that some posts have been moderated and removed as this thread was turning into an argument.

Please leave racism behind and let's help people who are really in need. This is all that Sihemt is looking for. :)

We are not here to debate on the refugees or on the gypsies please !

Thank you all,

Priscilla

Please note,
This discussion is for the people who want to help not to discuss our opinion about the regufees.
Please respect this.
Thank you

Thanks Priscilla,,so correct :)

Just reading through the recent post's here, I think we have been here before regards the Gypsy debate, I can see an argument on both sides of this debate, and again the post was merely to request help and make people who wish to assist aware of this help.
We all have the choice to cross the street, but again we should be also entitled to our views too unless they are hurtful or offensive, read the post and if you can help on the actual subject then great, the message is a clear and simple one, I hope you receive assistance, it is your choice to help and I admire you in that respect.
Regards Steve.

Just realized that one of my clients is Syrian refugee. True, she lives in Sofia not in Harmanli, but can really be helpful in defining what the refugees need.

And sending to Harmanli is not that difficult, there are regular bus lines, and transport of several boxes with clothes can easily be organized.

Actually there are so many things that it is difficult to capture all ... but you can consider the following:

Bulgaria has about 700 km. long border with Greece and Turkey, 200 of which are rivers and another 100 absolutely impossible to cross for untrained person. In addition there's another 200 km. solid fence. That alone leaves quite a few possible places for any kind of migrants.

The entire Southern border of 700 km. can be perfectly guarded by only 5000 men! This will cost less than 70 million BGN per year. Presently the cost of the fence is more than 200 million ......
Not to mention using infra red cameras, drones, vehicles etc ....

And most important, Bulgarian authorities receive significant amount of money for any migrants that are held in the country ... hence it is more "profitable" to allow migrants to enter than stopping them at the border ......

On top of everything Bulgaria has readmission agreement with Turkey, but so far I have never come accross a case, when illegal migrants have been returned to Turkey!

does that sound enough ?

I will add only that volountary groups of Bulgarians, organizing themselves and going to patroll the border and capture migrants are accused of illegal activity and are threatened by court procedures and forced to stop their activity .....

just a rough idea .... but worth thinking over this.

kristiann wrote:

since the refugees are already here, they obviously need some help.

There is an obvious set of problems with mass unplanned migration but there are also a lot of facts to consider before deciding on what any individual or government should do with these people.
One major factor for me is international political messing about caused much of the problem so those interfering countries have an obligation to assist the people escaping the wars that interference prolonged in such a terrible way.
As various countries have caused the problem by supporting one side or the other in these wars, those governments MUST look after the people they caused to flee.
Syria is a perfect example of a war that would have been over years ago if the various sides hadn't been supported by other countries for potential political gain.
The blue and green shows countries that should pay for all the refugees' needs, the BLOOD red is Syria, the perfect colour for that country since daft politicians messed about in it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/SyriaMilitaryInvolvment.svg/750px-SyriaMilitaryInvolvment.svg.png

Humanitarianism looks after the OP and all who feels the same way.

Hi everybody,

Please note that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team